Sponsored by:

Sticking GT3 engine in regular 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I am convinced, dumb idea.

I consoled myself by going over to a friends shop to look at his Porsches. There were three (3) 904s, 1 908, 1 Gmund roadster, and split window 356 #16, among many other things, and he has a new Carrera GT on the boat as we speak.

Metal: the engine in question is still in the wrecked car, which recently had a new front subframe masterfully welded on after the front of the car was removed by a tractor trailer. Car needs complete re-assembly from the windshield cowl forward, but the rest of it is in remarkable shape. Think the guy wants to sell the whole car, and my guess is that it would have a salvage title, so it may be a good track project for someone. PM me for phone number.

Steve
Old 03-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Uber - Steve knows what he's talking about. I would also skip the supercharger because that's another sort of Frankenstein which will lose a lot of money at re-sale time.

Sell the GT3 motor to guy who will stuff it in a 914-6 somehow (I've seen them with TT engines!) and buy a GT3.

Good luck however you proceed!

best,
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Thats the heart of the issue; the electrical systems are TOTALLY different in every respect and you would need a new car harness at the very least to make this conversion so the engine will run as well as remain OBD-II compliant.

Its really expensive and simply not practical as all you'd wind up with is a "Frankenstein".,............
Any guess as to how much "more" feasible is this on a later eGas 986/996?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Uber - Steve knows what he's talking about. I would also skip the supercharger because that's another sort of Frankenstein which will lose a lot of money at re-sale time.

Sell the GT3 motor to guy who will stuff it in a 914-6 somehow (I've seen them with TT engines!) and buy a GT3.

Good luck however you proceed!

best,
I would love you to explain how a Supercharger would lower the price of a 996? Car can be returned to stock in less than 4 hours. Value would be higher after removal than a stock one because it would have the third radiator.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I would love you to explain how a Supercharger would lower the price of a 996? Car can be returned to stock in less than 4 hours. Value would be higher after removal than a stock one because it would have the third radiator.
LOL! A 3rd radiator adds value to a used 996? No one cares about any mods on these cars let alone a stupid 3rd radiator. Oh, and if they knew there *was* a supercharger on that car, chances are they wouldn't even be interested in it. I wouldn't.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:16 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Viken
LOL! A 3rd radiator adds value to a used 996? No one cares about any mods on these cars let alone a stupid 3rd radiator. Oh, and if they knew there *was* a supercharger on that car, chances are they wouldn't even be interested in it. I wouldn't.

Yeah, I guess you're right. The third radiator would add about as mnuch value to the car as the GT3 seats you put in yours. I guess is "no one cares about any mods on these car" then the SC would not hurts it value. You can't have it both ways, Viken.

I don't buy cars based on what their resale value is. I buy them to enjoy and then discard.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I guess you're right. The third radiator would add about as mnuch value to the car as the GT3 seats you put in yours. I guess is "no one cares about any mods on these car" then the SC would not hurts it value. You can't have it both ways, Viken.
Perhaps, I didn't make myself clear. All I was saying was that most used car buyers would not put any value to any mods when it comes to the selling prices. Many of them might want the mods, but are not willing to pay for them. That's all I was saying. As to my GT3 seats, I will take them out and sell them separately when the times comes.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Viken
Perhaps, I didn't make myself clear. All I was saying was that most used car buyers would not put any value to any mods when it comes to the selling prices. Many of them might want the mods, but are not willing to pay for them. That's all I was saying. As to my GT3 seats, I will take them out and sell them separately when the times comes.
I agree with you 100%.

By the way...how is the comfort of those seats for daily driving compared to the stock leathers?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way...how is the comfort of those seats for daily driving compared to the stock leathers?
They are comfy once you're in them but a real bitch to get in and out. However, you are almost in a fetal position and that may or may be too comfortable for some people.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:24 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Then why does Porsche use the C4 chassis? Certainly not any cheaper.
Engineering and weld issues aside I understand that Porsche starts with the C4 chassis for the GT3 due to the room created up front without the front differential.

This allows for placement of the larger euro fuel cell. I don't think US crash regulations allow fuel cells up front in line with the front axle, so in the states we get the smaller fuel cell.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey you probably saw my 964 Cup usa there (it was in line behind the GT-3) to be done.
it is wait on a few bits to arrive for paint (the fuel filler door which somehow did not make the trip)
say hi to phyllis & W for me
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viken,
We have heard from 1999porsche911 that shock absorbers last the life of a car. In your opinon does that also apply to radiators?"
Old 03-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Engineering and weld issues aside I understand that Porsche starts with the C4 chassis for the GT3 due to the room created up front without the front differential. This allows for placement of the larger euro fuel cell. I don't think US crash regulations allow fuel cells up front in line with the front axle, so in the states we get the smaller fuel cell.
I don't think that's the reason. The C4 chassis is more rigid ahead of the firewall. Also, the GT cars have a seam welded body rather than the typical 996 spot welded version.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fill
Viken,
We have heard from 1999porsche911 that shock absorbers last the life of a car. In your opinon does that also apply to radiators?"
Huh? Shock absorbers last the life of a car? Did he really say that?

Of course that's not true and the same goes for everything else including the radiator.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd also have to hammer out a place for the oil tank. I believe these areas are specific to the GT3 or anything with a dry sump.

Quick Reply: Sticking GT3 engine in regular 996