Sponsored by:

OT: F355 Advice and/or Links

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: F355 Advice and/or Links

A neighbor of mine is seriously interested in getting a Ferarri F355. Despite my informing him of the virtues of Porsche, the F355 is, nonetheless, a gorgeous car. His purpose is a weekend car--more for show, never to a track. His background is driving luxury Japanese sedans and SUVs. Do you think this is something he might be able to handle? I've heard the earlier Ferarris/Porsches can be a handle and bite you if you don't know what you're doing. The late models are said to be more forgiving.

He's not into cars like I am, so this is a fun weekend cruising car in California so weather is not much of a concern. It is not a daily driver. Any particular comments about maintenance or problem years to watch out for? He's looking at a 1995 F355, circa 18K miles for $80K that just had the 30K mile service done. It's a 10 year old car, but I don't know enough to comment on whether this is a suitable car for him in terms of reliability/maintenance/novice driveability.

Feel free to recommend a Ferarri board where I can post the question as well.
TIA!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:19 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

tell him to get a Z8, all round easier to live with, and you don't need a hairy chest and gold mealion to drive it. If he isn't detered by common sense then tell him to go to www.ferrarichat.com it is the best online resource for the brand.

nb: Added later, for all those of you not accustomed to someone with an English sense of humor, just ignore what doen't make you laugh.

Last edited by macfly; 03-13-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Z8 over a Ferrari F355? Shoot me if I ever made that decision.
Arena, the F355 sounds like a great car for your friend, I am sure he won't put a lot of miles on it and the car will hold it's value much better than a new 911 in the same price range. They are also a lot of fun to drive and make beautiful sounds. Gold chains aren't a requirement for a Ferrari but a hairpiece seems to be required equipment for every Z8 driver I have seen.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 03-13-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best online site for ferrari is www.ferrarichat.com. In general, 355 are said to be a lot more expensive to maintain than 360s. V8 ferraris are pretty easy to drive. The question is probably more about how much patience your neighbor has for car breaking down often, for service places over charging for everything and ridiculously priced parts... Also, a ferrari is very visible and that becomes old pretty fast.

I would recommend anyone to get a much newer ferrari. I understand that budget then becomes an issue, however, if you consider that he'll likely spend a rather large amount of money on maintenance, he could be better for him to start with say a 2nd year (2000) 360 Modena.

Arnaud
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

"The question is probably more about how much patience your neighbor has for car breaking down often, for service places over charging for everything and ridiculously priced parts..."

thank you, AW. you just killed another one of my itches ;-)
Old 03-13-2005, 12:31 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I secretly work for your wife

But, I'll give you a good price on my spider for sale.

AW
Old 03-13-2005, 12:32 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default Hairpieces?

Greg, we obviously run in very different circles. My friend Sandi in her Z8.
You should drive one before you pass judgement, it is one of the most enjoyable, easy to live with, open top GT's there is.

Arenared, for someone who isn't a manic Ferrari nut a 355 would be an expensive car to live with, and really frustrating to own as an occasional driver when some new little issue would turn up on half of those occasional drives. My Z8 sits for months, it always starts right up and runs as reliably as any good German car, and it's service costs are the same as any BMW M5 sedan. As AW mentioned, tis the amount of follow up funds that will have to be poured into the 355 Ferrari to keep it sweet that would be the biggest reason not to go that route.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by macfly
Greg, we obviously run in very different circles. My friend Sandi in her Z8.
You should drive one before you pass judgement, it is one of the most enjoyable, easy to live with, open top GT's there is.
Yes MacFly we obviously do as I know many Ferrari owners that don't wear/flash gold jewerly.

I think it was you that passed judgement first, right? Do I need to quote you?

I have driven a Z8 and it was ok, not worth the money IMO but to some it might be. I don't think Arena's friend is worried about day to day comforts,etc. He wants a fun weekend car. The F355 is fun and it is has a great classic look that trumps the Z8. Again IMO, without passing judgement on the drivers.

Compare this: http://bmwz8.us/htmlL/official_a.php?current_image=1

To this: http://www.ferrariowners.org.my/FERRARI_F355_04.JPG

And in my book the Ferrari wins hands down.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 03-13-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:02 PM
prg
Pro

I'm certainly not a 355 expert by any means, so take this FWIW. F355's have had expensive issues with cracked headers, dash seperation, and prematurely worn valve guides. Your freind would certainly be wise to have a knowledgable ferrari mechanic do a thorough PPI. $500 may save a lot of hassle and $ down the line.
I'd have to side with Mr. Fishman. The 355 is a beautiful piece of machinery and Ferrari V8's make some of the most beautiful noise you'll ever hear. I kept my turbo for a daily driver after buying the CS, but it's just about impossible for me to walk by the CS in the garage and get into the tt.

P.S. I don't own any gold jewelry, I wear a $180 Seiko watch, and I'm in desparate need of a toupe (but I don't own one).
Old 03-13-2005, 01:03 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macfly
Andrew, you devil, you!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Greg, in your book the Ferrari wins hands down. I look at those two cars a there is only one I'd choose to own, but then I always prefered James Bond's understated elegance to Mangum and Miami Vice's flashiness, so I guess it's just all a matter of personal taste......
my point of view.....

Last edited by macfly; 03-13-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:04 PM
KLZ
Racer

Lightbulb

should prepare for the high maintenance cost, I seldom drive my 355 since new in 98', I put 6000 km in it but still have to replace timing belt 2 yrs ago for $6000 CAD ; none the less, a new battery every year after the winter
Old 03-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

An example of ferrarri maintaince

timing belt change on 355, engine removal

timing belt change on 360, move the seats forward and pop open a panel...

I looked at 355s recently and the advice was to be prepared...

I still plan on one after I move home...I still think the 355 is the best street car Ferrari ever made..but thats in my opinion

-f
Old 03-13-2005, 02:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Greg,
Did you enjoy driving the 355? The sound is great, performance good, steering fair, interior dated, by recollection from my last drive. The looks are great, but the 360 is a whole different world. The prices are different, but it seems the 355 is a much more compromised car. AS
Old 03-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

MacFly,
There you go again insulting others, I guess you are the pinnacle of taste and everyone else's preferences are irrelevant.....

Alexander,
I drove a F355 coupe and have ridden in a F355 convertible. The cars were nice but I would agree the 360 is a much better package but a significantly higher price point from my limit research. For my $80k I wouldn't choose the Z8 or the F355 convertible for a weekend car. Maybe a 993 Turbo for less $ ?

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 03-13-2005 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: F355 Advice and/or Links