Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: F355 Advice and/or Links

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Curt911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with a 360 if he is stuck on Ferrari, he sould be able to pick up something in the 100-110k range if he looks and he will have a much better car than the 355, or get a board and whack him on the head, grab his hand and sign an order for a 997, it will be much more reliable for normal driving, will be under warranty, and won't cost 10k plus to fix when it breaks!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:12 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Last edited by macfly; 03-13-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's about cruising, an AMG SL of some vintage, an Aston, or the Ferrari are good choices. If it's about driving, the 550 Maranello is much better than most think. The question mark is reliability and cost of service, where Porsche rules, especially if driving counts. However, before we get too smug about Porsches, try the 550. AS
Old 03-13-2005, 08:19 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

The 550 has been voted 'favorite sports car' by more journalists over it's production run than any other car I can remember. Money no object it is certainly a car I'd love, it is one of the few Ferrari's which is actually really elegant looking too. I'm really looking forward to having a ride in one at the track soon too! (pleeze, Richard :-))
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
If it's about cruising, an AMG SL of some vintage, an Aston, or the Ferrari are good choices. If it's about driving, the 550 Maranello is much better than most think. The question mark is reliability and cost of service, where Porsche rules, especially if driving counts. However, before we get too smug about Porsches, try the 550. AS

I dont think the 550 is in the guys budget, but it is a nice driver
Old 03-13-2005, 08:49 PM
scott63
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arenared
A neighbor of mine is seriously interested in getting a Ferarri F355. Despite my informing him of the virtues of Porsche, the F355 is, nonetheless, a gorgeous car. His purpose is a weekend car--more for show, never to a track. His background is driving luxury Japanese sedans and SUVs. Do you think this is something he might be able to handle? I've heard the earlier Ferarris/Porsches can be a handle and bite you if you don't know what you're doing. The late models are said to be more forgiving.

He's not into cars like I am, so this is a fun weekend cruising car in California so weather is not much of a concern. It is not a daily driver. Any particular comments about maintenance or problem years to watch out for? He's looking at a 1995 F355, circa 18K miles for $80K that just had the 30K mile service done. It's a 10 year old car, but I don't know enough to comment on whether this is a suitable car for him in terms of reliability/maintenance/novice driveability.

Feel free to recommend a Ferarri board where I can post the question as well.
TIA!!!
As has been mentioned before, Ferrarichat is the place to check things out. There are a few cars for sale by owner if your friend goes the Northeast regional section of the board. I have seen these cars and they are in great condition.

I have owned both a 355 and 360 and both cars were great. I had a 1995 355B and the car was absolutely incredible. I never had a breakdown and never experienced any of the high cost fixes that people speak of.. Actually, most modern day Ferraris are easy to live with and can be used as daily drivers (thats how I used my 355). It's the older 328's and Testarossa's that can be expensive. Someone mentioned that 355's have cracked headers and worn valve guides. These issues do surface on about 5% of the cars built in 1995 and 1996. When the issue arises, Ferrari takes care of it under a phantom warranty program.

I am a firm believer in the marque and once you experience the sound of a Ferrari at 8500 RPM's, you can be easily persuaded into buying one...

If you have any questions, you can shoot me an email and I will try to help out.

BTW, I don't wear gold chains and neither do any of the members of the NJ Ferrari club.....

Scott
Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by scott63
I have owned both a 355 and 360 and both cars were great. I had a 1995 355B and the car was absolutely incredible. I never had a breakdown and never experienced any of the high cost fixes that people speak of.. Actually, most modern day Ferraris are easy to live with and can be used as daily drivers (thats how I used my 355). It's the older 328's and Testarossa's that can be expensive. Someone mentioned that 355's have cracked headers and worn valve guides. These issues do surface on about 5% of the cars built in 1995 and 1996. When the issue arises, Ferrari takes care of it under a phantom warranty program.

Scott
did you ever have the clutch replaced in either car? Did you like the 355 better than the 360? Will Ferrari enable the phantom warranty program to a 2nd owner?

If you don't mind disclosing how many miles you put on each I would be interested...

Thanks, Curt
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

im cornfused dere bubba macfly. aint yall payin a hole lotz of monee fer a satorn ion? iz dat causze ya dont be needin anee gold chain ta drove a satern?

Old 03-13-2005, 10:08 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Om my Gawd, so that's where they got the stying from!!!
Heavens alive, I could have saved a packet if only I'd know that back then, JBJB, where are you when your invaluable insights and advice are really needed!!!
(JBJB, for the Z8 you need a platinum chain with a large emerald, but keep it quite, secret brotherhood thing, no one knows!)
Old 03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
Om my Gawd, so that's where they got the stying from!!!
Heavens alive, I could have saved a packet if only I'd know that back then, JBJB, where are you when your invaluable insights and advice are really needed!!!

what about the Toyota, ehco i think, and the prius???

who was first?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Hey, leave my Prius out of this!! I'm already dealing with a deep depression caused by my 27.5mpg average fuel economy since I bought it in Oct. My GT3 is almost as thirsty as the damned Prius!!

I bought the ugly blue cashew on the first day of the rains to keep my baby on her MPSC's off the wet roads, but I expected that it would get nearer the advertized 60mpg urban cycle figures.

I've been chated, been mistreated!.....
Old 03-13-2005, 10:37 PM
scott63
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Curt911
did you ever have the clutch replaced in either car? Did you like the 355 better than the 360? Will Ferrari enable the phantom warranty program to a 2nd owner?

If you don't mind disclosing how many miles you put on each I would be interested...

Thanks, Curt
Never had a clutch put in either car. The clutch is good for 20K to 30K miles unless you get the F-1 transmission and then the life drops by about 5K miles. It all depends on how hard you drive the car. The 355 and 360 were both great but for different reasons. The 355 was a bit more raw and untamed than the 360. The 360's fit and finish was also better than the 355.

I was the second owner of the 355 and did have some work done that was paid for by the factory well after the original warranty was up. I bought the car from a Ferrari dealer and I am sure that helped...

Most Ferrari's generally have low mileage not because they are always breaking down, but because a lot of owners don't drive them much. They are usually a 3rd or 4th car. A major service on a 355 (once every 5 years) will cost about $5,000, the same service on a 360 will be about $2,000. The main difference is that the 355 has to have the engine removed to change out the timing belt, the 360 can be accessed from a panel behind the seats as was previously mentioned.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by scott63
Never had a clutch put in either car. The clutch is good for 20K to 30K miles unless you get the F-1 transmission and then the life drops by about 5K miles. It all depends on how hard you drive the car. The 355 and 360 were both great but for different reasons. The 355 was a bit more raw and untamed than the 360. The 360's fit and finish was also better than the 355.

I was the second owner of the 355 and did have some work done that was paid for by the factory well after the original warranty was up. I bought the car from a Ferrari dealer and I am sure that helped...

Most Ferrari's generally have low mileage not because they are always breaking down, but because a lot of owners don't drive them much. They are usually a 3rd or 4th car. A major service on a 355 (once every 5 years) will cost about $5,000, the same service on a 360 will be about $2,000. The main difference is that the 355 has to have the engine removed to change out the timing belt, the 360 can be accessed from a panel behind the seats as was previously mentioned.
Thanks, my next F-Car will be a 360, have not decided on the F-1 or not (mixed feelings), one day I'll get the 430 and get it for sure in it... Had a Testy and never got the Phantom offer, but did not ask either, clutch did not make it more than 10k either, but could be the way I drove it (lol)... I find it interesting you feel the 355 was more "raw", I feel the feedback from the road more in the 360...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:16 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Thanks, all, for the really great unbiased and entertaining info. I surfed ferrarichat.com a while and dug up a bunch of info. Looks like an F355 needs a more maintenance/expense than I was expecting--even among F-cars. I'll pass the info along. (His DSL connection is hosed, right now.) At least, he'll have the info about potential issues.

Quick Reply: OT: F355 Advice and/or Links