Sponsored by:

Acceleration Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
tewino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration Characteristics

I am now past break-in in my GR 2005 GT3. Ssssweeeeeeet car!!!

I notice on hard acceleration that the car pulls to the left to the point that I have to compensate by using the steering wheel to the right. When I quickly let off the gas, car pulls back to the right and again I have to compensate using the steering wheel to the left.

I figure this is a normal characteristic of the GT3 and probably due to torque. Am I right?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-05-2005, 12:09 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

No, you have something that nearly all of us have suffered, an out of alignment delivery. For some reason this oddity has afftected many of the cars on the board here, there may even be a poll about it somewhere.

Find a really good race alignment shop who know Porsches in your area, and get it fixed there. I tried to get the dealer I bought the car from to do it, but they just messed it up more, which seemed odd since their name is enblazened across one of the best GT3 race teams in the land.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:40 PM
tewino
Intermediate

But it is straight as an arrow when at constant speed. It pulls only under hard acceleration.

If it needs a race alignment, I don't know if there are any places around Baton Rouge, LA which would do this.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

IS this pulling on a straightline or gentle curve or crowned road? Car is sensitive too road surfaces-lotta feedback.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your tire inflation pressure.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

A lot of people, including myself, had a similar problem that turned out to be defective or differences between tires.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM
tewino
Intermediate

996FLT,

Pulling is on a straight/level surface.

I agree there is a lot of road feedback which I love. Car goes where it's pointed without pulling, unless I accelerate hard.

I think the tire pressures are correct but I'll check again to make sure.

Like I said, it's fine with me if this is normal, but it sounds like it may not be normal from what I'm hearing.

Tom
Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by tewino
996FLT,

Pulling is on a straight/level surface.

I agree there is a lot of road feedback which I love. Car goes where it's pointed without pulling, unless I accelerate hard.

I think the tire pressures are correct but I'll check again to make sure.

Like I said, it's fine with me if this is normal, but it sounds like it may not be normal from what I'm hearing.

Tom
im assuming you are hammering it in first and second gear? i get that too sometimes. its just torque steer and more than likely a little spinning of the tires and a little following of the grooves in the road. never happens to me on track only on road. dont worry about it. take most info on this board with a grain of salt such as you cant get neg 2.9 camber with just shims ( wrong) and that michelin pilot cups are dangerous in the wet. ( wrong) and some of the above info too
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Mmm... interesting... I noticed that too and I thought that it had a little to do with torque steer and the LSD... but then again, I do not know what I am talking about...
Old 02-06-2005, 11:19 AM
tewino
Intermediate

Thanks JLJ,

I think you are correct, just torque steer. It only happens in 1st or 2nd gear at full acceleration. Not too noticable in 3rd or above. I don't know if it'll happen on the track yet, but I'll find out real soon, if you know what I mean.

Tom
Old 02-06-2005, 04:41 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,124 Likes on 599 Posts

When I tried switching the tires from left to right I had the same problem. Put them back and it went away. Try switching the rears from left to right then the fronts. carl

Quick Reply: Acceleration Characteristics