Sponsored by:

Not Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Driving

Heres a bunch of questions related to 'not driving a car' and potential negative effects:

1. How long can a 9x6 car sit before its battery dies?
--Assuming its locked with the alarm on (flashing light on dash)

2. is it bad for the car if the battery dies?, i assume you just plug in the charger and recharge and all is well...?

3. if the battery dies, is any data in the computers lost?

4. When preparing to drive a car that has been sitting for awhile, is it wise to plug in the charger for awhile just in case?

5. Can a car battery that is almost dead, damage a car if one tries to start it?

The cars in question are all regarding new cars, when i say dead battery, i mean one that is almost outta juice, not one that has almost reached the end of its service life.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Battery Tender.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave to go home every summer and over xmas I left the GT3 sitting for 6 weeks ...
started right up

The NSX, 996 and M3 usually "dies" off after 3-4 weeks. I have a trickle charger that brings it all back to life after one night
Old 01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Moogle
Race Car

does a V1 plugged into the car, (with the V1 switched OFF) drain power?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 514 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Get a Battery Tender.
Exactly, or heres an idea, get a battery maintainer.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Tom,

1. How long can a 9x6 car sit before its battery dies?
--Assuming its locked with the alarm on (flashing light on dash)

Ans: about three weeks based on my 2002 GT2, 2004 GT3s. All have a tracking device using a cell phone installed which drains the battery more quickly.

2. is it bad for the car if the battery dies?, i assume you just plug in the charger and recharge and all is well...?

Ans: It depends on how long it has been discharged. If you leave it for two months the odds are that the battery will reverse a cell and be ruined. If only discharged for a few weeks a charge will bring it back to normal.

3. if the battery dies, is any data in the computers lost?

Ans: The computer will start with the factory data. Any parameters which have been "learned" will be lost. It will be like the first day you drove it - no better, no worse. You will lose your radio stations presets and code (if it is a coded model).

4. When preparing to drive a car that has been sitting for awhile, is it wise to plug in the charger for awhile just in case?

Ans: If it starts - good. If not plug in a charger. If a charger does not produce enough juice to start the car, you have a shorted battery which will need to be replaced.

5. Can a car battery that is almost dead, damage a car if one tries to start it?

Ans: No, either the car starts or the battery dies.

Rgds,
Old 02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Moogle
Race Car

thanks very much guys for the advice

Bob Rouleau, thanks for answering everything so thoroughly!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you need is a Porsche battery maintainer. Or, you can go for the full charger and maintainer unit.

Also, the V1 turned off should not be draining any power.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interstate is now selling the same charger that Gert (90 Euros ) has on his site for about $45 USD. There are 2 versions available the 3.3amp charger/maintainer and the more expensive unit that will also serve a a booster as well.

These units are made by the same company that badges them for Porsche and Mercedes in Europe.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How long you're not driving?

Just asking because it it's long enough, there are other things, besider worrying about the battery, you should do (stuff for storing the car).
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

my question too....heading off to college?
in my case i have been traveling for the past 2 months - I had my wife start the car once for 30 minutes or so. no problems yet.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
.... about three weeks based on my 2002 GT2, 2004 GT3s. All have a tracking device using a cell phone installed which drains the battery more quickly.
What is the purpose of a tracking device (theft recovery/lojack)? Do all 996s have them?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

GREG - The device is called a Boomerang and the coompany was recently purchased by Lojack. It is a tracking device based on GPS and a cell phone. Insurance companies around here insist on having them installed iin all cars which are appealing to theives. Montreal is a hot spot for car thefts since the bad guys can swipe cars and put them in a container for shipment. It draws current all the time and carsm equipped will see a dead battery after only a couple of weeks iwithout a battery maintainer. The Boomerang has resulted in a number of car theft ringsd being busted up.

Regards,
Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Finn's right. There are issues with seals, bearings, engine internals, cooling system internals, brake components, fluids, etc that should be a concern for long term storage. Of course it depends on how long the car is to sit for and in what climate. Ideally, motor vehicles should be started/used at least 1x per week. If not, there are procedures for storage that can be performed, and also procedures for removal from storage. Storage would mean idle for 90 days or more.

Some common sense items prior to storage are: checking brake fluid is new and full, engine oil and gear oil is clean, and a coolant change including less water, and more phosphate free coolant. Easy removal from storage would be a brake flush (yes again), oil change (prior to starting car, and prime the filter canister as well), gear oil change, check for shrunken/cracked hoses, coolant change, and general inspection of the vehicle. Just the regular normal stuff. Storage for a year or more gets more in depth.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:13 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
GREG - The device is called a Boomerang and the coompany was recently purchased by Lojack. It is a tracking device based on GPS and a cell phone. Insurance companies around here insist on having them installed iin all cars which are appealing to theives. Montreal is a hot spot for car thefts since the bad guys can swipe cars and put them in a container for shipment. It draws current all the time and carsm equipped will see a dead battery after only a couple of weeks iwithout a battery maintainer. The Boomerang has resulted in a number of car theft ringsd being busted up.

Regards,
And these things are in all 996s? Does Porsche keep a record of everywhere we drive?

Quick Reply: Not Driving