Sponsored by:

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ABS Question

I only have about 250 miles so far, but on the few harder stops (but not really hard stops, except for maybe one short yellow light stop), I'm feeling pulsing of the brake pedal which I interpret as ABS cycling. Is this normal?

I'm also getting some brake squeal on gentle stops. I understand this to be typical, but let me know if you disagree. Everything is stock currently.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 PM
dld
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, I have about 150 miles, but did a lot of "cycling" from high speeds to slow to exercise the breaks a bit. I didn't feel pulsing, may not have been braking hard enough. I do get a squeal on gentle stops, which I assume is just some dust. It's not piercing or anything.

Derek
Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I noticed a single ABS pulse when first getting on the brakes moderately hard when I ran the track.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

One day at the track and my squealing seems to be all gone. Had it bad when the brakes warmed up before that. Had some ABS pulsing too occassionally, but haven't noticed any recently. Pads must be working properly now that they're bedded/broken in.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:52 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris , my ABS seems a bit touchey on what I'd call moderate braking. Seems to come in "early" , but then again I could be going faster than I think
Bill
Old 11-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

I'm going to do some more rigorous and aggressive testing. Right now I think the ABS is too sensitive, but maybe the pavement is not as dry as I thought or the tires are too cold.....
Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your tires are still fairly new as well. Their grip will increase as you scrub them in and they will be less likely to slip under braking thus activating the ABS. That said, the ABS is quite sensitive on the latest cars including the our GT3's.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 AM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Chris, What's your conclusion about your brakes, two years later. I'm having similar experiences, although I can't be sure that the yellow pads in my car are OEM. I get a bit of squealing when braking at slow speeds or to a stop. The brakes also make a grinding kind of sound. Also I've been setting off the ABS when I wouldn't think I was braking hard enough. My '86 Turbo never made this kind of noise with stock pads, and seemed to brake harder. Tire pressures are good, car has 6K on the odometer.

-Juan
Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

What a memory, 250 miles on the car two years ago! I'm now over 22,000 miles, many of them on the track. Used my OEM pads about half way, then switched to Pagid RS-19s all the way around, and I'm just about done with the second set of those on the front. Also switched to AP Racing full floating, slotted front rotors, and the discs are about ready for replacement.

Everytime I start drving after the car sits for a good long while (3-10 days) I get ABS cycling at the first, usually gentle stop. After that, nothing. At the track (say, turn 1 at Summit Point, a 140+ mph to 45 mph sort of brake zone) I rarely feel the ABS kick in, even though the pavement there is bumpy. In short, I loooooove the brakes and would not change a thing.

Good luck with yours, Juan.

Quick Reply: ABS Question