Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 05 GT3! few questions (Now With Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:13 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 639 Posts

I have never seen the Pirelli's come on a USA GT3, so I was wondering where you got them, or if this is a new for 05 thing?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm curious too. Are they P 0 Corsa System tires like the GT3RS - if so they will be great on the car. The Corsa System IS and R compound tire with a tread pattern better suited to wet surfaces than the P 0 Corsa. The system is the OEM tire for the GT3RS and Ferrari Stradale. They remind me of the Dunlop SS Race tires - sticky rubber with street tire grooves. Since BMW fitted the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup to it's hot rod, other manufacturers are following suit. The Cup is a bad choice because it is really poor in the wet.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these tyres came on my car from the factory,

eh i dont know, the dealership had 2 GT3s, one was an 04 that had been sitting around for awhile, and the other one was mine.

the 04 had michelin pilot sports (i dont think they were the CUPs) and mine apparently has plain 'ol pirelli pzeros...?

i expect to change them in the summer anyway to some sort of hardcore summer performance tire anyway.

i guess my real question is:

i don't understand what the issue is with these tyres being on the car?

did the factory f*ck-up and put the wrong tyres on my car?

are all GT3s supposed to come with pilot sport cups /or pzero corsas?

can we get a definitive answer on this from the experts?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Mikey
Racer

it seems you have Pzero Rossos -- very different than P0 Corsas and PSCs which are competition tires. IMO you should demand something worthy of the GT3. The Turbo on order should give you some leverage. What if you paid 180K for a GT2 or $450K for a CGT .. would you accept plain old tires?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Moogle
Race Car

i don't understand, are these the WRONG tires from an OEM Point of view, ie, was there a mistake at the factory? or are they just bad in your opinion.

so far they are just as good as michelin in my opinion. but thats besides the point.

i plan to swap them out anyway this spring.

like i said before, they offered me the michelins on an 04 GT3, but i refused because they were already flatspotted to hell from sitting for a year.

i already pumped them pretty good for about 7200 in parts and labour (getting all the 'clubsport' stuff installed), they probably wouldnt agree to 1500++ more in tires and mounting/etc

Last edited by Moogle; 11-15-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Moogle - up to now all the GT3's have come on Pilot Sport IIs. Perhaps it was a one year exclusive to Michelin who sponsors the SuperCup. Yours is the first on anything other than the PS2 Michelin.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Moogle
Race Car

there was an 04 at the dealer also, that had been sitting there for almost a year, it had normal pilot sports (not cups, not ribs.)... wierd.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:15 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

belated,
but none the less...
congrats!
now drive the #$%%^ out of her!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:50 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ROW GT3s (non RS) came with the Rosso and MPS2, the Rosso tire was used on the 7:54 Nurburgring time run as the MPS2s weren't up to the job.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:11 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The tires are not a factory screw-up, just one of the alternatives available. Porsche uses multiple suppliers, though there may be supplier timing differences due to each companies product introduction cycle.

The Cups are an upgrade for "dry" track use and a disaster waiting to happen in the "wet".

Enjoy them, they'll be fine on the car for a while. When they need replacement there'll be lots of info on this site as to the current king. Bob and all the fast guys will help us out when the time comes.

Some people love Pirellis, and some hate them (me) but it's all bias.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:09 AM
Moogle
Race Car

i fall squarely into the michelin cult. but whatever, 5000~ miles and i get the cups

unless these pirellis change my mind in the meantime
Old 11-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Bob - are you sure the P Zero Corsa "System" are R-compounds? do you have a Pirelli reference? am surprised and happy to be corrected but recall reading they were not...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Which dealer did you use?
I am in the Westchester area and I am wondering whether I should keep my eye out for your car.
Congratulations! Enjoy it!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I checked into all this when I was getting my Cups (vs. Pirelli). System are NOT R compound. Just check out the tire life rating. They are OEM for the RS, so I'm sure they are great street/compromise tires. I got the cups because I live in the desert and it rains about 10 days a year here max. I have heard from several race car teams that do testing that the Pirelli's quality control is not even close to Michelin, -race teams do test these things. Another arrow in the Michelin quiver.

But, if you drive in the wet, maybe the Dunlops or Pirellis are a better choice. I would just use the OEM tire as rains and the Cup as a track tire - my opinion.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my GT3 when it arrived.These I replaced with BBS mag racing wheels and the Pirelli Corsa system from the GT3RS.The Corsa system seems to me to be much better than the Michelins. I have never driven on the Cup variety,but I have heard that in the rain that they can be slightly treacherous.For me in N.Ireland it was no contest,it rains a bit here and I didnt want to spend my time tip toeing round corners in the wet,because the tyres were waiting for that moment when my right foot got a little bit carried away and ohhhhhhhhhhh s***.
Shane

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 05 GT3! few questions (Now With Pics!)