Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 05 GT3! few questions (Now With Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Bob - are you sure the P Zero Corsa "System" are R-compounds? do you have a Pirelli reference? am surprised and happy to be corrected but recall reading they were not...
Yes, he is sure. According to Pirelli:

PZERO CORSA SYSTEM:

- Racing rubber compound
- Extreme grip
- Directional (front)
- Asymmetrical and directional (rear)
- Carbon Kevlar reinforce -> weight, rigidity
- Limited numbers of grooves -> handling
- Large grooves -> water clearance
- Flat tread pattern ->larger contact zone
- Large square shoulders -> handling when cornering
- 2 new 0 degree nylon belts -> rigidity, safety
- Silica

Tire description

P Zero Corsa System has been developed for powered super sports cars producers and enthusiasts who take their car on the race track, whether for "track days" or "club racing", allowing them to maximise their cars performance. The features in tread pattern design, compound and structure, allows P Zero Corsa System to satisfy even the most demanding customers in terms of dry handling and braking without compromising on wet handling, noise performance and maximised contact patch with the road surface.

P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. P Zero Corsa Direzionale is a semi-slick with a very stiff construction. An innovative racing tread compound, ensures maximum grip while the use of ultra-light and flexible belts implies a very wide footprint area.

Original Equipment for the road version of Ferrari 360 Challenge and Porsche GT3, and targeted at the most prestigious car producers, P Zero Corsa System includes P Zero Corsa Direzionale on the front and P Zero Corsa Asimmetrico on the rear for outstanding aquaplaning resistance. Directional front tyres penetrate the water surface, clearing a path for the rears which complete water dispersal for increased driving safety.

Tread pattern

Front: The directional design provides better wet handling characteristics, while the absence of continuous grooves eliminates the blocky structure of a conventional pattern.

Rear: Asymmetrical design with three important factors: the absence of continuous grooves which eliminates the blocky structure of a conventional pattern, a high land/sea ratio and the large external shoulder structure with a minimum number of grooves.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Moogle - up to now all the GT3's have come on Pilot Sport IIs. Perhaps it was a one year exclusive to Michelin who sponsors the SuperCup. Yours is the first on anything other than the PS2 Michelin.
The Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N4 was always a GT3 approved tire alongside the Pilot Sport PS2 N2. The P-Zero Corsa System was added later when the GT3 RS was introduced.

This is from a TSB dated 3/28/03:

Old 11-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Viken, once again I'll ask your advice. I want the best tire for the track. My car is an every day driver; however, I only drive it about 3,000 miles a year. A) I don't mind a short tire life. B) I don't mind something that is soso in the rain, I just don't want something that I can't even drive down a wet street without losing it! What do you recommend? Thanks
BTW, when I click spellcheck, I always get an "Error on page" and no spell checker. What's wrong?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
So Viken, once again I'll ask your advice. I want the best tire for the track. My car is an every day driver; however, I only drive it about 3,000 miles a year. A) I don't mind a short tire life. B) I don't mind something that is soso in the rain, I just don't want something that I can't even drive down a wet street without losing it! What do you recommend? Thanks
Keep your PS2's and change to the Corsa System when you need new tires.

BTW, when I click spellcheck, I always get an "Error on page" and no spell checker. What's wrong?
Not sure I can help on this. Try posting on the Help Forum or send an email to John at admin@rennlist.com .
Old 11-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Is that the system you posted two posts ago? Are they as grippy as the "cup" tires?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Tom,

Beautiful car!! Enjoy it in good health!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Is that the system you posted two posts ago? Are they as grippy as the "cup" tires?
They are almost as grippy as the Cup's, but they are more suitable as an everyday tire as they are far superior in the wet. You did say your car is a daily driver and you wanted suitable street tires. If that's the case, I think the Corsa System fits the bill better than the Sport Cup's.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:03 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

If you plan to drive the car to the track (like me), get 2 sets of tires and rims. Corsas for everyday performance and for potential wet days at the track and a 2nd set with MSPCs for dry track conditions only. This is what I'm going to do for next year, after having driven on MSPCs to work and back as well as on the track in the wet (YIKES!!!). If you're also like me, you'll get the alignment done to a min. of 1.5 deg negative camber, or more like 3 degrees if you really want some track grip. Problem being that every mile you put on the car (track or non-track) will wear those tires unevenly and faster than normal alignment. Get out your wallet!!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:31 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

From my experience currently with the Pirelli PZero Corsa System, I have to say they don't stick or feel like an R-compound tire but they are very impressive, probably the most grippy and best street tire (non R) out there. I had the PZero Corsa (R-comp) before, and they produce noticably more dry grip than the System, even towards the end of their life. Also, from what I've read, the MPSC is even more sticky than the PZero Corsa R-comp...
Old 11-16-2004, 03:02 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

How about this for a trip Moogle;

Get the car in the air and tell me the first three numbers your front springs start with? When you have done that get back to me.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience nothing even comes close to the MPSCs for dry/street except for the Corsas. Only problem with thems is when you have to slow to 45MPH on the highway with heavy rains and all the Isuzus are flying by. Anyhow, back to the main topic ... where are the daytime pictures Moogle?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Let me asks this one last time and in a different way.
On a scale of 1 to 10; rate the
stock MPS wet?, dry?
Cup tires wet?, dry?
Pirelli PZero Corsa wet?, dry?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack
If there is a problem -- it is..... those Pirelli's don't appear to be the " Corsa System" tires, based upon the tread pattren I can see.

In any event, congrats on the new car, Tom. Drive it in good health!
Jack,

It was a tongue in cheek referance to the spelling of Pirelli, Perelli are the well know knock offs produced in croatia and sold to unsuspecting super car drivers.

There is talk that Michalin bought out Perelli when they discovered that Perelli had managed to secure the entire stock of the previous years worn out Carrera Cup slicks.

The story goes that they were cutting a pattern into the outside of the tyre so when fitted it looked as if there was tread across the entire surface. The plan was to sell these as the "Perelli Cup"....

Our crafty Galic chums "Allegedly" got wind of this wizard wheez and did a deal direct with the Cup teams therefore cutting off Perellis supply.

Not long after this Michalin announced the MCPS to the motoring world and the rest, as they say is history...

As for what happened to the Perelli guys after the buy out, difficult to say but some informed sources have pointed the finger in the direction of the Prost F1 team....

P.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Is Pirelli P-zero Corsa different from Pirelli P-zero corsa "system" ?, I've never heard of the latter and I agree with both Viken and Bob that the former is R-compound (dhuh!).
Old 11-16-2004, 05:08 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me asks this one last time and in a different way.
On a scale of 1 to 10; rate the
stock MPS wet?, dry?
Cup tires wet?, dry?
Pirelli PZero Corsa wet?, dry?

Thanks
The problem is not many people have tried all those tires back to back in wet and dry conditions, so you're not gonna get a conclusive answer.

Every tire has it's strong and weak points, you've gotta decide which attributes are most important to you and which you can live without. Do you want comfort, grip, handling, noise control, good wear, wet traction, cold traction etc...? Much depends on driving style and environment. Viken's advice is spot on, keep the MPS2s then switch to the Pirelli PZero Corsa System after 6K miles - you cannot go wrong with this tire.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 05 GT3! few questions (Now With Pics!)