Sponsored by:

Front end gets too light at speed on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end gets too light at speed on track

How do you prevent the front end from getting too light at speeds at the track?

Adjusting the rear wing in a more tilted position would press the rear end further down, but what can you do to the front to make it "stick"?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trail brake right into the apex, or on longer faster turns just back off quickly before you turn in, that'll help load up the front.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RR,

the problem with adjusting the rear wing to a larger angle is that it will cause an imbalance to the car. If you add more downforce to the rear, it really needs to be balanced by adding more to the front. you have a few options here though.
1 Put the rear wing back to it's original setting( I'm assuming you have moved it!!)
2 Fit the Motorsport front chin spoiler
3 reduct the radiators through the front PU and close off the under car vents. This will add about 15kg of extra downforce.
4 fit aftermarket suspension such as JRZ or Moton
Of course, what macfly has said is spot on, trailbraking is a very good technique in the GT3, it helps dig the nose in.

Regards,

Steve B

Last edited by Bass GT3; 11-01-2004 at 11:03 AM. Reason: bad spelling!!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

What is the motorsport front spoiler?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 AM
AW
Pro

What do you mean by light? Do you mean that the car attitude in unstable at speed? Or that the steering feels very light? Or that the car understeers?

It is very common for 911 to understeer. Try to slightly and smoothly lift the gas but be prepared to get back on it as soon as the rear rotates. You may also want to try to remove some air from the front. Also, is your wheel alignment stock? The stock setup is dialed in for quite a lot of understeer.

I'll be careful with trail-braking in anything but slow speed corners. You don't really need it in the high speed stuff.

AW
Old 11-01-2004, 06:31 PM
clord
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
What is the motorsport front spoiler?
The Motorsport or Cup Car spoiler lip is part number 996.505.986.91.
It is slightly deeper (about 6mm) in the front and stays nearly full width around the sides of the front bumper toward the wheel wells....unlike the street GT3 lip which tapers.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:57 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

does the GT3 mk1 and mkII understeer alot when tracking?? (that´s no fun!)
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

It's all in the set up. The car can be tuned to be telepathically neutral (for a 3,000lb street car) and personally I'm delighted with every aspect of it's handling, but then again I'm several seconds off the pace at which it might get hairy!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Matrox,

In short, no. I have had proper GT class racers when instructing comment on how fantastic they thought the chassis was. It's just a shame i can't drive it as wel as them!!
Well set up, a GT3 is a revelation, truly awesome. Don't worry

Regards,

Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Thanks guys! I will have Manthey do a full setup of the car.
Bass: ever driven with Calum Lockie??
Old 11-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

matrox,

I can't recall the name, I'm usually accused of driving with Miss Daisy!!
Another point, although i do love most things Manthey, i would not go for their suspension, as at the time i was looking it was nothing more than a PSS9 kit. If this has changed, i don't know, but damper wise, i would really recommend Moton or JRZ

Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

First,... Back off the throttle before corner entry and if need be "lightly" brush the brakes. Your goal is to put weight onto the front tires to help "turn in".

If your "steering" is light going down a fast straight, you need more front end down force. Check with Porsche Tuners, I'm not experienced with your car.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running the car 17mm lower at the front (108mm maxed out) and the stock rear height 125mm. This setup increases downforce at the front. Additionally, I'm using the Motorsports spoiler lip. My rear wing is using the 8 degrees shims.

I haven't experienced that light front end feeling at the track at all. I knew that by increasing downforce at the rear end, I needed to increase down force at the front end.

Tracks I have been this year: Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Pocono East/South/North/Full.

The GT3 Cup uses a huge rear spoiler, and a front bumper similar to the street GT3RS to increase downforce at the front combined with a deeped spoiler lip.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Weng
Instructor

RR,

I run my car with the 8 deg rear wing shims and the stock front lip. Ride height set at lowest recommended factory setting F&R. Sway bars set at 1 minus full stiff F&R. No problems whatsoever with a perceived "light front end" (unless a relative comparison is made to front engine cars). All understeer has been further dialled out with the help of MPSC tires and trail braking in the slow stuff. Counterintuitively, a bit more (progressive) throttle input coming out of the corners also helps to load the car & tighten the line - removes the feeling of a "light front end". You may also want to double check your sway bar settings - a stiffer front relative to the rear may reduce front end grip a bit.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I dont mean lightness or understeer in turns, I mean the frotn end lightness on a back straight at my local track where you hit 215-225km/h....

Quick Reply: Front end gets too light at speed on track