Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another lovely day at Button Willow......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:15 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys - for the last lap of the day I let her all hang out and came up with this number (see below). I would have to say that it was a lap upon which I scared myself at least 3 times and not one that I could do regularly.

I did find that I could consistently pull off mid 2:08's and dip into the 2:07's with an extra effort.

I agree with the comment above that a passenger adds about 2 to 3 seconds - perhaps not only because of the weight but also the mental factor.

-Kevin

This was a scary lap:
Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
Needs to be re-geared to optimize track experience, but overall quite a car.
I find the gearing almost perfect for track days, especially BW, where most of the track is in 3rd in the powerband. IMHO it seems that you couldn't have geared it better for BW in the BusStop configuration, just one dip into 2 for turn two, and a couple of quick reaches into 4 before and after Star Mazda. If the gearing was 10-15% lower you'd be changing between 3-4 so much more, and in many of the wrong spots too I'd guess, so I'm not sure you'd gain any time from doing so.

What gears were you running where in the 360?
Andrew, I agree with you on the gearing. I also used 4th VERY breifly after the Esses (I would go through the Esses in 3rd pretty much flat) and again on the front straight just past the finish line.

In the last 2 sessions I started downshifting twice going into Star Mazda (thanks Colby for that advice) and driving out in 2nd shifting to 3rd before the first "Esse". I believe that is was good for a couple of 10ths.

On the 2:06.01 lap I went completely flat throttle through the Bus Stop to the braking point (before I had moderated the throttle) in 3rd and almost went off the track on the exit but kept it pinned. Scared myself good there!

-Kevin
Old 10-26-2004, 05:28 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, you were kicking *** out there, right on pro racer Colby's ***... What times were you running on those laps?

Got to drive a 997S - Very nice car; build quality is leaps & bounds above the 996, it handles and steers very well.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:10 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Kevin, you were kicking *** out there, right on pro racer Colby's ***... What times were you running on those laps?

Got to drive a 997S - Very nice car; build quality is leaps & bounds above the 996, it handles and steers very well.
Those 2 laps were both in the 2:09's.

Agreed on the 997!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,148 Likes on 611 Posts

After my ride in Garys 360 I have to agree the 360s shorter gears are more fun. I dont know if there better because I came out of the corners so slow in 3rd I couldn't get past 7500. Gary is one good driver I was very impressed, and for a stock 360 the car was great. I bet the CS is a real kick in the ***. carl
Old 10-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Appearance and build quality aside, how did it compare to the GT3 in terms of performance?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:29 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Appearance and build quality aside, how did it compare to the GT3 in terms of performance?
I also drove it and I would say it was quite a bit slower then the GT-3. Part of that is mental because the GT-3 doesn't isolate you from the environment - if you know what I mean.....

It felt heavier and harder to turn in. Brakes were good and strong. What amazed me the most was the lack of body roll and the overall stiffness of the car in sport mode - much better then I expected. However, on the track I don't think it can compare to the GT-3 in performance.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a track environment the 997S doesn't have the lungs or the power of the GT3, there's a very noticeable difference in acceleration coming out of corners - much like the difference between the GT2 & GT3. The GT3's power is relentless all the way to redline, so much so that you have to consciously watch the tach to avoid the rev-limiter, the 997S' power starts to drop off around 6500rpm.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Thank you for your insight.

4curves, given the same rubber...I assume you're running something sticky on your GT3...could you speculate on the 997S's turn in, steering, etc...or were you taking that into consideration in your previous comment? How about balance compared to the GT3? Did you find the impressive roll and overall stiffness at all comparable to the GT3?

I greatly appreciate as much info as you guys can provide...this is the closest I'll get to test driving one on the track prior to purchase. As much as I would love to get a GT3, I can't justify it as a daily driver. MetalSolid, I'm more interested in how the two cars compare dynamically than in straight line speed, and Buttonwillow is a great place to evaluate this. Any more thoughts?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:16 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Thank you for your insight.

4curves, given the same rubber...I assume you're running something sticky on your GT3...could you speculate on the 997S's turn in, steering, etc...or were you taking that into consideration in your previous comment? How about balance compared to the GT3? Did you find the impressive roll and overall stiffness at all comparable to the GT3?

I greatly appreciate as much info as you guys can provide...this is the closest I'll get to test driving one on the track prior to purchase. As much as I would love to get a GT3, I can't justify it as a daily driver. MetalSolid, I'm more interested in how the two cars compare dynamically than in straight line speed, and Buttonwillow is a great place to evaluate this. Any more thoughts?
I don't think my 4 laps behind the wheel were enough to completely evaluate this - plus I was nervous to push it with the owner in the seat beside me. I can't say I was completely comfortable jumping from my GT-3 with racing seats (Euro GT3) and harnesses to a car with standard power seats and standard belts. But I have to say again that the car impressed me more on the track then I thought it would. The Carrera S would be a good choice for a fast street car and casual track days. This car was pretty loaded with all leather, power seats and sun roof. With the extra weight I expected it to "wallow" in comparison to my car but it didn't. It felt slow but that is only a relative term.

Don't quote me on this but I think the car had Michelin Cups on it - same tires I'm running on the GT-3.

After I drove it I went 3 laps with the owner driving and he certainly pushed it harder then I had been doing and again I was impressed with the car's road holding and lack of body roll. If I wasn't a GT-3 driver and had been coming from my last car experience (a 02 C4S) I would be running out and buying one of these things right now!

-Kevin
Old 10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
Don't quote me on this but I think the car had Michelin Cups on it - same tires I'm running on the GT-3.
Kevin, the 997 had 19" Pilot Sport PS2's which are the OEM tires on the GT3. Almost night and day difference between that and your MPSC's.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:35 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Hey Viken, forgot to mention it was very nice to meet you too after all this time!
Hope to see out at more of the track days this 'season'.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macfly
Hey Viken, forgot to mention it was very nice to meet you too after all this time! Hope to see out at more of the track days this 'season'.
Likewise Andrew. I enjoyed meeting you as well.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

As much as I would love to get a GT3, I can't justify it as a daily driver. MetalSolid, I'm more interested in how the two cars compare dynamically than in straight line speed, and Buttonwillow is a great place to evaluate this. Any more thoughts?
Dynamically it would be unwise to compare the two cars as they feel very very different. When the 997S (PASM) turns in it feels "heavy" even though the steering is light and precise, there's a feeling you're isolated from the real struggle upfront of the suspension and tires - like a computer is interpreting your inputs into exactly what you want, as opposed to what the car would naturally do - but it works. In comparison the GT3's controls feel directly connected to your hands, feet and seat. The 997S feels like it rolls quite a bit more than the GT3, but some of that maybe because of the seats. I also didn't get the feeling I as able to steer the 997 with the throttle as much. I got to witness first hand from the passenger seat how well PASM works - they should have called it electric Rohrl.

As a daily driver and occasional trackday the 997 would be great, I can't see how you could go wrong, but he GT3 feels special all the time, open freeway, canyon or race track.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:22 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 360 shot is a winner. Looks like a great day as usual for you Cali guyz...

Quick Reply: Another lovely day at Button Willow......