Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another lovely day at Button Willow......

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a '72 RSR?
I'm still new to Pcars, and haven't really got into the history part yet.
How much does it weight, and how much power does it have?

I noticed on their website, http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/tourclassing.htm in the rules, that it was BW #1 clockwise, which I think is what we ran before last week, ie the entire outer perimiter without the bus stop. Those street tires were simply tires with a tread wear rating of over 140, ie they were very likely on the same MPSC's that many of us use (tw220) and the time is exactly what Kevin was doing running those tires and that configuration in the GT3.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Macfly: Visit the Racing & Drivers Ed Forum here on Rennlist. Jack is a regular poster there.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:56 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
What is a '72 RSR?
I'm still new to Pcars, and haven't really got into the history part yet.
How much does it weight, and how much power does it have?

I noticed on their website, http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/tourclassing.htm in the rules, that it was BW #1 clockwise, which I think is what we ran before last week, ie the entire outer perimiter without the bus stop. Those street tires were simply tires with a tread wear rating of over 140, ie they were very likely on the same MPSC's that many of us use (tw220) and the time is exactly what Kevin was doing running those tires and that configuration in the GT3.
Andrew - my fastest lap on Config # 25 (which is the same as 1 without the Bus Stop) is a 2:04.12. I think I could beat that now considering my 2:06 with the Bus Stop however to get down to a 2:01 would take some genetic engineering - a gene transplant from Walter Rohl would probably do the job!

-Kevin
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Macfly: Visit the Racing & Drivers Ed Forum here on Rennlist. Jack is a regular poster there.
I've been avioding that part of the site because EJ lives over there!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
dbrauch
2nd Gear

Default 360 v gt3

Originally Posted by macfly
Button Willow running clockwise with the 'Bus stop' isn't a configuration that favours the superpower cars like the GT2 or the chipped TT. The fastest car of the day was Kevin in the white GT3, turning around 2.08 (I think?). Apart from Kevin, the only other car that passed me was one of the GT2's being driven by our instructor, who is a racer and full time instructor. I was runing around 2.17's, I managed one 2.15, but wasn't able to match it again, based on my passanger's timing using the stopwatch funtion of his mobile phone!

The Ferrari was pretty easy to catch as it was a 'regular' 360 on street tires, but it was intoxicating to follow, it had some kind of shiney big exhaust on it, ohhh what a lovely noise!

I ended up with a few laps in the 2:13 range with a passenger (as timed sporadically by some friends) in the 360. Kevin's 2:06 is very impressive and I'm still trying to figure out how I was able to hang with him for a couple laps, losing maybe 1/2 sec a lap when I was only doing 2:13's. Do you remember what your lap times were on the 2 laps I you were being followed by the 360 Kevin? It was earlier in the day.

Jack gave me the keys to his GT3 at the end of the day (thanks Jack!) which was I really appreciated. The last porsche I drove was a '77 930 turbo carrera. (I may have the year wrong, dad will help out if I do).

Obviously not much similarity in those cars, although the gt3 did stir some teutonic engineering memories for me. The transmission is perfect, the brakes are confidence inspiring and solid. After running the 360 on street tires all day going to r-compound tires made everything seem much easier and more stable. That said I feel the gt3, as jack had it set up, was a still less yaw sensitive than the 360. It seemed the polar moment was definitely greater on the gt3 than the 360, but still nowhere near my E46 M3 which really takes some work to get rotated, although you never worry about it doing anything scary either. Within 3 laps in the gt3 I turned a 2:11 on Jack's transponder, then I picked up my dad for 2 more laps and did a 2:11:1 with him. With it not being my car I obviously left a lot out there, that said Kevin's 2:06 is still very impressive.

The 360 demands attention anywhere near the limit, and if you find yourself fast somewhere and even think about lifting/turning the back end will agresssively start coming around, especially as the speeds get higher. I had to lift and gingerly tighten the gt3 at one point in riverside and my internal alarm bells were in full song after driving the 360 all day, but the gt3 very honestly just tightened the line. It performed perfect 4 wheel drifts over lost hill and magic mountain. The brakes were awesome, and with those tires I could drive much, much deeper into the braking zones than the 360.

The gearing was the biggest difference, the gt3 being easier to lap since you don't have to go to 4th before the bus stop or cotton corners. The 360 keeps you in the powerband better, it's 3rd gear for exiting sunrise, sunset, and the bus stop is perfect, the gt3 3rd is too tall. Also 4th in the gt3 is too tall when you use it, in the 360 I was right at the limiter in 4th at the fastest parts of the track.

My final impression is that the gt3 won't bite you as quick as the 360, especially when you are getting tired and are 'backing off' a touch. The 360 really tires you out because it demands constant attention, but when pushing hard it is absolutely perfect.

I was able to run behind the lotus for a lap or two in the 360 (I believe kobe was driving) and was impressed with the stick. Through cotton corners to the bustop (pure handling) the elise was as quick as the 360, but get to any straight and forget about it. I would put the 360 at 3 sec/lap faster but it's all on the straights.

Thanks to all who attended for the great time and atmosphere!

Derek

P.S. For comparison purposes the M3 turned a 2:17:5 on this configuration on stock tires, with no passenger, and I was pushing it just as hard as the 360.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:33 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

I ended up with a few laps in the 2:13 range with a passenger (as timed sporadically by some friends) in the 360. Kevin's 2:06 is very impressive and I'm still trying to figure out how I was able to hang with him for a couple laps, losing maybe 1/2 sec a lap when I was only doing 2:13's. Do you remember what your lap times were on the 2 laps I you were being followed by the 360 Kevin? It was earlier in the day.
Derek,
I was lapping consistently around 2:08's and 2:09's most of the day and when I had passengers it was more like 2:10's and 2:11's.

The last two sessions of the day, when fuel weight was down and no one with me in the car I reeled off a series of 2:07 laps. The very last time I went out I told Jack I was going to take it easy and practice my heel/toe (which I am terrible at) but my first two laps were low 2:07's and I did one lap to let the tires cool and then let it all hang out resulting in the 2:06.01.

Lapping at 2:08 or even in the 2:07 was fun - that 2:06 lap was scary! But also rewarding!

The 360 has such a great sound - every time you would leave the pits accelerating down the pit lane the sound gave me chills. Beautiful car!

-Kevin

Quick Reply: Another lovely day at Button Willow......