Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB W414 is a beautiful thing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb TSB W414 is a beautiful thing!!!!

Just got back from my dealer after having the DME reprogrammed...I don't know what took me so long to do this, but they obviously tweaked the program in addition to the high altitude issue. The power is smoother and more linear in the low to mid RPM range. Gone is the herky jerky turkey starts in first gear...I am soooo happy, it's almost like a new car and this is no exaggeration. Those who have an affected VIN, get it done. The car runs better period!!!

PS: I felt better about my tech handling the job. He just got back from Atlanta for CGT training and did a terrific job.
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Forgot to mention...when you rev the car from idle, it feels like the response is quicker and smoother...feels perhaps a bit more free revving, imo.
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:17 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

Need to have that done, but my car is also in the range affected by the valve spring deal and I'm afraid to ask if mine is on THAT list too!
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:31 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skl
Need to have that done, but my car is also in the range affected by the valve spring deal and I'm afraid to ask if mine is on THAT list too!
Stop torturing yourself. You may not be one of the valve job cars. If it is, I would speak to some knowlegeable race mechanics to get their opinion whether there could be a failure or not. Just because the part is deemed recalled, doesn't necessarily imply your's will fail. Tough call. Pretty soon it will be Winter, so if it's needs to be done...it's a good time to do it. Best of luck!
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:28 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockitman,

Can you point me the right direction about TSB W414. Unfortunately, I must have missed this TSB and have no idea what it is or what VIN#'s are affected. I picked up my GT3 on July 29th.

Btw, thanks to you I went with a GT3 over a C4S, you might not recall, but it took almost a year before I took delivery, but I kept reading your posts and knew you were right. It's good thing I didn't stick with the C4S, beautiful car in its own right, but not enough sport for me.
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blkc4sny
Rockitman,

Can you point me the right direction about TSB W414. Unfortunately, I must have missed this TSB and have no idea what it is or what VIN#'s are affected. I picked up my GT3 on July 29th.

Btw, thanks to you I went with a GT3 over a C4S, you might not recall, but it took almost a year before I took delivery, but I kept reading your posts and knew you were right. It's good thing I didn't stick with the C4S, beautiful car in its own right, but not enough sport for me.
Rather than post all the vin's...give me your VIN, US or Canada car and I will see if it's there...

Edit: Glad if any of my post contributions helped w/your decision...
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

you can PM me the VIN if you want....
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:50 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something must have been wrong with you car before the re-flash??? I had no such driveability/throttle respone issues before the update. Your car probably needs some serious track time to feel its best.
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:09 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jack
Something must have been wrong with you car before the re-flash??? I had no such driveability/throttle respone issues before the update. Your car probably needs some serious track time to feel its best.
Thanks Jack!!!
Sad to see the GT2 gone...any replacement in the future...possibly the "Uber Porsche" CGT????
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:19 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Chris,
Thanks for the info on the TSB. Being in Florida, altitude is not so much of a concern.But you now got me wondering if I need the flash update since our VINs are so close and it really makes such a difference.
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:47 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sloth
Chris,
Thanks for the info on the TSB. Being in Florida, altitude is not so much of a concern.But you now got me wondering if I need the flash update since our VINs are so close and it really makes such a difference.
Altitude is really not an issue for me. I think Rocky, Sierra or possibly the highest points of the Smokey's could be an issue. The best thing is the change in low to mid revs. When I say there is a noticeable improvement in linear throttle response, I am not kidding. Someone else on the Bd. did the same thing a few months ago and noticed a similar improvement. No jerky starts or jerkyness when putting around in first gear...at least for my car. Things seemed a little herky jerky when you intially got on the throttle prior to the remap. It seems more immediate and smooth now.
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Max, you can view the TSB on RennTech is you are a contributing $ member. If not, pm me your vin and I will see if it's there...
Old 09-29-2004 | 11:41 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Thanks Jack!!!
Sad to see the GT2 gone...any replacement in the future...possibly the "Uber Porsche" CGT????
Chris -- you know I'm only joking.

No replacement for the GT2 coming soon, but I did arrange for visitation rights. Btw, I had a chance to drive the CGT on the track -- what a sweet car.
Old 09-29-2004 | 11:54 PM
mrmckay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of wheels are on your GT3 Jack?
Old 09-30-2004 | 12:04 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrmckay
What kind of wheels are on your GT3 Jack?
Kinesis K28's...

Quick Reply: TSB W414 is a beautiful thing!!!!