AP "J"-hook rotors for GT-3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default AP "J"-hook rotors for GT-3

Hi:

Here's a shot of the AP replacement rotors that we could use (for those who might be interested).

Its these or drilled ones,........
Old 08-31-2004, 05:00 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get these to fit the 6-piston caliper,as the hub on the OEM rotor is much smaller?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:09 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think this is the actual rotor..... it is a shot of the new race design j hook style rotor......They have the front after market hat's for our cars already...that fit.......you would only have to use the PCCB hat for the rear, to keep the E brake, that is built into the PCCB hat........
Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 AM
SeanGT3RS
Intermediate

Steve

I guess the standard front caliper and pad will work with these? Is it a straight bolt on replacement?

How much do a set of these with the hats run to?

Cheers Sean
Old 09-01-2004, 04:25 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Sean:

Whatever rotors are chosen (if this happens) will be mated to a custom made, hard anodized, billet hat that allows them to bolt directly onto the car. They are intended to be used with the stock 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers.

The rears will use the stock hat so you can keep the E-brake.

Pricing will depend on the numbers and I need a minimum of 5 prs to proceed.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:59 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Steve:
1. Can we get a picture of the cross-drilled rotor?
2. Is there no rotor, cross-drilled or not, that can be bolted directly to the rear PCCB hat, or, for that matter,to the front PCCB hat?
3. Once you decide to supply, how long will it take?

My preference is for the rears only, since one piece fronts are available from Porsche Motorsports at reasonable cost. If this route is followed, presumably the rear rotors will be harder(and more durable) than the fronts, because (you say) they will be true highgrade racing rotors and not the ersatz ones the factory supplies. My questions, then:
(a) if this route is followed, will there be more front braking bias because the fronts will be more"grabby" than the rears?
(b) If the answer to (a) is "Yes", can that be properly compensated for by using softer pads on the rears or harder pads on the fronts?
Please post your answers here.
Richard A. Bain
Old 09-02-2004, 01:13 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Steve:
After my posting, I noticed that in your posting to Sean you said that the rear rotors would be fittable to the stock (PCCB) hats. Will the ones you supply be the same thickness as the PCCB rear rotors? Will they be the same 350mm diameter?

Is there no front two- piece steel rotor with the same diameter and thickness as the stock iron ones on the GT3 and which will fit the front PCCB hats?
Richard A. Bain
Old 09-02-2004, 02:40 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Richard:

1) Cross-drilled rotors all look somewhat identical,....

2) AFAIK, there is no existing iron rotor that bolts directly
to the PCCB hat. I've looked at ALL of the Brembo, Alcon & AP racing rotors currently available. For that reason (and others), this why we are going to all the trouble,.....

As I wrote previously, after I get orders for 5 or more pairs of fronts & rears, the whole process will take 6-8 weeks to delivery.

The AP rotors will be the same diameters and thicknesses as the PCCB rotors.

Brake bias issues are hard to definitively answer; there are a lot of variables such as rotor surface finish, coefficient of friction between different grades of cast iron and type (drilled or J-hook type) and pad compounds (of course). I will tell you that a GT-3 here with Alcon drilled fronts/PCCB rears equipped with RS-19's works very nicely.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

why no 330mm steel two-piece floaters for the rear? I would think these would be more worth while to mfgr. than the 350mm. I hope someone steps up and makes them. I think these would be in more of a demand than the 350mm due to most of the track GT3's are on steel, I have rarely seen many GT3's with PCCB's.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Steve:
You posted to Sean that the rears would use the stock PCCB rear hats, yet you also post to me that there is no rotor that will fit them. Obviosly, you have to fabricate a modification. My question: Will that modification bolt on to the rear hats, or will the rear hats themselves have to be modified? Why I ask is because I don't want to have the rear hats permanently changed, as then they won't be useable for the stock PCCB rear rotors.
Richard A. Bain
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

And why exactly was it that we can't we get rear hats/discs for steel cars??
Is this just an number thing, or is the E brake a different design?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:20 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Oak:

The objective here was to offer a replacement (superior) iron rotor for those people with PCCB rotors who are tracking their cars and do not wish to put the ceramic ones at risk.

People with steel rotors do not seem to need an immediate rotor solution, based on the input I've received as well as our local experience with GT-3 street & Cup cars.

Any and all input on this subject is very welcome here. We'll make whatever people want, providing there is an honest demand for such things.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Oak & Steve, I track on a regualr basis, sometime with as many as 6 other GT3's, and we are all steel (I think) so there is a good start. I think Oak is right, most of us track day junkies stayed away from the ceramics, so you may find a good reception to doing all 4 corners for steel cars.

I'll put my money down now if I get all 4 corners, but I won't swap just one end out, looks too wierd like that.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Richard:

My bad for being obtuse,.....We are going to modify the rotor to allow one to retain that stock hat for E-brake functionality.
You will be able to reinstall a PCCB rotor, if you wish.

Macfly:

Its a numbers thing. This project requires a substantial five figure investment and its not feasible if these cannot be done in minimum quantities. Demand drives product development but the minimum production run must be 5 pairs of anything we do here to make it possible and contain the costs.

LOL,......There is no question that anything is possible but end costs are always a factor with things like this.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a custom fit (built/designed) rotor for our cars (GT3/2) to upgrade and replace the PCCB front and rear rotors as well as improve the quality of the steel equipped GT3 cars... The fabrication is not with the stock items but with the aftermarket to fit the stock parts as is..........I hope we get this going.. I would like to track the car with no worries.........with all the money spent on brakes i think this is an important upgrade....I have had Alcons and Brembos and they will wear before they break....at least this is my experience.........The 350mm is for the upgrade on turbo cars......they can not fit the 360mm as we can...no clearance with the rims......The bigger the rotor to a point the better the lever....which helps.....there is a local racer who has used these rotors at Daytona with no problems that i know of.......

I have heard that our cars like a little more of an aggressive pad on the rear......have not tried it yet ........waiting to see if we move forward on these AP rotors first ....You know with the money spent on the option for the PCCB we could have done so much more with these brakes..... a really light weight wheel would be great option..

Quick Reply: AP "J"-hook rotors for GT-3