Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3 PRICES/DEALS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004 | 09:08 AM
rmauro
Racer

Default New GT3 PRICES/DEALS

About to take delivery of my new car - 3 weeks away- but the chatter on the forum 6sppeed online would lead me to believe these cars are very much around and for sale at dealers at considerable discounts from MSRP.
Also just saw an article in Sports Car mag. which says the new 997S is faster thn the GT3 around the track in Germany?
True or Not?
Old 07-10-2004 | 09:58 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Dont know if that is true or not but that is quite impressive if it is.
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:11 AM
sjsharks
Racer

They are probably referring to the article about the Porsche test driver who managed laps(with -20 suspension, currently not an option in US) only a few seconds slower than a GT3 at the Ring.

As far as prices on GT3's, it appears that MSRP is a soft number. Some have reported nice discounts.
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:32 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

rmauro:

Yes. The 200 lbs heavier, Cayenne like suspension and underpowered 997 C2S is faster than the coilover equipped 400Hp GT3. BTW, UFOs are invading planet earth.
Old 07-10-2004 | 01:07 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the SF Bay Area the GT3 is not "soft". They are still selling at MSRP for the most part. Sometimes you have to take what you read on these Boards as "wishful thinking" or peculiar regional events.

If you go back and search these posts you will find that I predicted many months ago that GT3s would be easier to get when they came close to meeting the 750 production #. That is what is happening now, combined with some waiting out for the 05 (me included). At best, you might a small courtesy discount if you have a good realtionship with the dealer. They know, worst case. they can ship them to another dealer on a trade and get full dollar value.

That said, the GT3 is still a very sought after car, and those that think they can buy them used around $85K are on something. Again, there may be the odd exception e.g. distress sale, mechanical or damage issues, but other than that it is not happening, yet, and I predict it will not happen (if ever) until the next GT3 killer comes along. There is no known or announced 997 GT3, and there current thinking is that the next GT3 will be in the 998 variant..again that is all speculation.

The GT3 is such a specialized sports car there will always be demand, so if it fits your needs; and you assume it'll be worth 50% of what you paid for it in 5 years, and are comfortable with that then "do it" and for get about it.
Old 07-10-2004 | 01:11 PM
doody
Advanced

there are dozens of new cars sitting on dealer lots. and more are incoming. and production is rumored to be being increased from 750 to 900. make some calls. negotiate.

alternatively, just wait a couple more months and the market will likely be far more sorted out (even in california). of course life is short, so whatever savings you might achieve is a tradeoff.....

doody.
Old 07-10-2004 | 01:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Last week, there was a gorgeous red GT3 with red seat backs, red dials and etc. in Memphis and I was offered the car at a pretty serious and suprising cut off MSRP. I was pretty tempted. Not sure if it is still there, but anyone looking can probably get a great deal on this car if it is still there. (901) 388-8989 and ask for Tyronne Knolls.
Old 07-10-2004 | 01:50 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug H:

On the first 2-3 months, there will be as many 997 as the total GT3 production for 2 years.

Everybody ordering a 997 is going for the S (it's a better deal for the price). The 997 CarreraS will drop its price drastically on the used market.

Expect the used prices on the GT3/GT2 to settle at 90s/130s for a while.
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:28 PM
sjsharks
Racer

The market can do nothing but go down.

Reasons:

* There can be little doubt that the supply curve has surpassed the demand curve. We are currently awash in GT3's,not counting the 200 additional that Porsche will be sending here. Many major cities have dealers with multiple GT3's on their lot, and some have been there for a long time.

* Many Internet testamonials(sure some is BS but some is probably true) have reported deep discounts, some with the dealer intiating the negoitations(This was unheard of 6-8 months ago) indicated offers would be considered. I'm not ready yet, so I did not want to waste their time with an offer.

* The 2005 model 997s is sure to draw off some GT3 sales further softening the GT3 market. The 997s and GT3 may be totally different cars but they have very similar track times. This is sure to cause the non-zealots to pause at the $25,000 price gap. We are already seeing this in some 997 chat rooms.

* Used GT3's are beginning to flood the market, not because there is anything wrong, but because many who buy these type of cars switch cars more often than they change their socks. This will do nothing to bolster the prices.
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:05 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's make a list of these dozens of cars, and put some credibility to these comments: Everybody look up a dealer in their area..there are only 300 or so. To make the list, an incoming car doesn't count if it is presold, only cars available. It would also be useful to publish the "discount offered. I'm getting pretty tired of all the BS that's being posted and purported to be fact.

The 997 and GT3 are not in same segment, I don't know whats being read but the majority of people seem to be debating the 996 and maybe wait until the bugs get worked out ot the 997. A 996 GT3 buyer is a future 997GT3 buyer, if they ever make one. A GT3 buyer would never buy a regular 997S, however someone may buy a 997S because the GT3 didn't meet their needs (i.e. backseat issue) but then, by definition, they never were a GT3 buyer because the car didn't fit their needs.

To start:

Steven's Creek in San Jose has none.
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:32 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Michael Stead has three.

One used silver with 1900.

One new black

One new red(two weeks out, unsold)
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are the discounts being offered?
Old 07-10-2004 | 03:50 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Rusnak Westlake has 2, a stunning Polar Silver with full natural grey leather interior, and a black on black. I was sat in the showroom for a spell yesterday as I was having some work done to mine, and seems they are both listed at 5K over, but they are ready to deal. The Polar has been in there for over 8 weeks now.

I have to say all this doesn't talk of resale value really doesn't trouble me, I bought the car to enjoy, not to make money on. I figured it would last me at least 5 years, maybe more. (Did you know the average 911 owner keeps their car 7 years, according to PNA's own figures!) I will only sell it to get another GT3 (997-8 or whatever). If life goes really well I may sell it to get a Cup Car, but that is just big pipe dreaming at this point!

I'm not in the market for a regular 911, regardless of 'ring times in Walter's hands. I view all that as completely irrelevant, even with a week at the 'ring I doubt I'd get any car inside 10 mins, I may well not even do 12, so how many seconds Walter can shave off his own personal record means naught to me. I want a track car that makes me feel special when I drive it, and not just another cookie cutter 911. I'd really never buy an ordinary 911, it just isn't special enough to me, the GT3 is the first Pcar that I've ever considered, and I have to say I am delighted with it. Do I care if I've lost $40K over 4 years, not at all, that's still less than a lease would have been.
Old 07-10-2004 | 04:01 PM
sjsharks
Racer

You won't know that until you walk in with your checkbook and make it clear to them that you are willing to walk out if they refuse to accept your offer.

The point is that there are more GT3's then there are buyers, three on a single lot bears that out, and equates to discounts. Six months ago there was not a single unsold GT3 in the bay area.
Old 07-10-2004 | 04:23 PM
doody
Advanced

c'mon colm - why is this so hard for you to imagine?

here in new england i quickly found four new cars on the lot (Ira, Hoffman, Father & Sons, Danbury).

and off the top of my head, i believe beechmont and brandywine have two each ('cuz i spoke to them).

and so on and so forth.

and the incoming cars DO matter. the dealers are pushing those hard as well. all markets reacts to forward-looking information. the increase of production simply cannot and will not help in holding pricing high. it'd be irrational.

grab the latest autoweek and look through the listings in the back....

doody.

Quick Reply: New GT3 PRICES/DEALS