Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3 PRICES/DEALS

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004 | 01:45 PM
sjsharks
Racer

John

My point can be ascertained in my very first post. All I said was that right now "MSRP was a soft number". Thats it. I think the problem is that those who have already purchaced a GT3 refuse to accept the fact that the market has trended downward somewhat.

Following that I was challenged to produce evidence that there was a surplus. Which I did, and right in the middle of the Bay area which is a pretty tough nut to crack as far is MSRP and supply is concerned.

Following that there was some borderline snobbery indirectly referring to wannabees. Which I attempted to keep the discussion to supply and demand issues.

As far as my personal time frame for a GT3 purchase, the end of the Summer. I'm guessing under $95(on a low option) will be possible by then. Personally I think that it will actually be better than that.
Old 07-11-2004 | 01:56 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Sharks,
I apologize for the "wannabee" remark. I should have used another term ("Future Buyer"?).
I'm not really into the argument about prices. You could very well be right in everything you've said. My whole point is that after you own a GT3, if you track it, you'll be saying it's worth whatever you paid. And if you could have afforded it earlier, you may kick yourself for having waited.
But, it sounds like you're close to getting one.
Can't wait to hear from you after your first few track dates!
John
Old 07-11-2004 | 02:21 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Thanks John

I am anxious to track the car also but I don't mind telling you I'm a bit on the scared side.

The last time I tracked a Porsche was back in 1974 with my 1973 911s. Willow Springs, and the road course at Ontario Raceway were two courses I managed to bring up the rear.
Old 07-11-2004 | 02:43 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wait a minute,

Nothing has been proven in the Bay area, those cars are not being sold for a discount, unless I missed something in somebody's post. Did I?

There has always been a "courtesy" discount on the GT3 so nothing has changed, yet. And of course, these cars will always be cheaper in the future.
Old 07-11-2004 | 02:47 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I grow tired of the discussion of penny pinching. I could really care less what the maket brings now or in the future...To those holding out...good luck and I hope you get the car at the price you want. Issues such as resale don't effect me since I can't imagine ever selling the car...It's just to perfect!!!
Old 07-11-2004 | 03:18 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Sharks,
Start out by taking your car to a PCA 3 day High Performance Driving School, then do some autocrosses, then the big tracks. You'll have a blast along the way making friends with your new car and you'll learn your limits as well as the cars. But, tracking this car is an absolute necessity, IMO. There's no way to appreciate this car on the street (IMO).
John
Old 07-11-2004 | 06:04 PM
sjsharks
Racer

In order to meet the litmus test we could all establish our nobility by restricting it to members of Augusta National Golf Course.

That would sure eliminate all the great unwashed.
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:25 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Default Nuff Said

Hey guys - unless this thread is all about talking the price down for hopeful discounts, the reality is that MSRP is the price in major markets for an ordered GT3 or stock GT3. There is no hard evidence to the contrary. I just bought mine for MSRP (ordered it 10 months ago) from Porsche Fairfield, CT. It was their 4th delivered out of 5 or 6 allocated for 2004. All were presold for list. The market is list. No one actively discounts new Porsches in SW CT. My dealership just sold a used GT3 (within a day or so) for ~$104/5k which was $109K new. It had 400 miles and was a few months old.
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

GT3 isn't a car, it's a toy.
when i buy toys for my child, i don't alwasy wait until the yearly sale comes on. like me, my child don't like to wait too long for the toy, else we lose interest. buy today and have fun. when you buy yours 6 months later, at a lower price, i would have had 15 months and 35 days of DE fun that you have missed? for that, i say it's worth at least $10k.
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:26 PM
stacy11
Advanced

Originally posted by petert
Possibly it's time for a new forum layout, "GT2/3 owners", "Turbo owners", and then another place for price questions/comments for various models, maybe the "price speculation" or "best deals" or "what car should I buy" forum. Maybe it should even be enforced, where a valid VIN or some other verification is required to register
Perfect! I love it! Really. There really is NO way to establish a DEFINITIVE value! Look at Bruce Anderson's 'values' on early cars....they are LUDICROUS! And, everytime he publishes them, all Early 911 owners scream bloody murder...WITH GOOD REASON!

Sharks - no offense, but I don't think ANYBODY here really cares what you eventual pay for your car; most have indicated MUCH MORE SHARED JOY IN HOPING THAT YOU ACTUALLY DO BUY AND DRIVE ONE....IF you pay $10K less then I did, SO WHAT? More power to you! For that $10K I have been driving my Gt3 everyday...yes, and depreciating it EVEN more...by driving it! Shop away...and PLEASE let us know the results....

P.S. For whatever reason, I have found that most buyers AND sellers LIE about price paid/price sold, depending on which side of the 'deal' they end up on....
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

shark,

i know EVERY porsche dealer from sacramento to SD and know them well. if you can get $95k on a low option car, you should grab it. but i am afraid, it will be very hard to get that price. all my cars are low optioned. my gt3 has only mats and xenon lights, period. stickers at $104+. (that inc. gas guzzler, destination and other gov't crap). so you are saying you can get a $10k discount on a gt3 in a few months?
Old 07-11-2004 | 09:36 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Even if the 997 S is as fast as a GT3 wich I don't think so the GT3 as the quality and racing parts... Titanium connecting rods,964 case,full dry sump,external gear box cooler,6 pistons calipers,metal bushing and on and on.PLEASE DON'T BE FOOL BY A NEW PAIR OF HEADLIGHTS!
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:45 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Hmm

its about value and what is most important to you...

who cares if its sticker/above sticker or below? When I get my GT3, I will be calling Mooty and the rest of the Bar crew to go on weekly drives...
What most important to me is I can enjoy the car and the company and fellow peers that will share the similar passion.

I will sending mass emails to local trackdays, showing up at Mooty and fellow bay area GT3 owners' house to make sure they take the GT3 and not the other "track car"....hahaha

If one is so concern about how much the car can be bought for, maybe one should wait for the 997GT3, cuz in a few years, when it comes out..it would probarly be alittle more than what we are paying for the 996GT3 now...
but the opportunity cost would be the fun and memories that the rest of us current owners have in our heads...rather than.."I wonder how much better a deal I got compared to others...."

Golf courses? Nah..too young too impatient to have an interest in it...
who put little ***** when you can go out DRIVE!

Old 07-12-2004 | 01:08 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

" to make sure they take the GT3 and not the other "track car"....hahaha"

BE CAREFUL THERE !
Old 07-12-2004 | 01:28 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

oops...I mean

"other track car(S)"

do u want to meet along the way tmw morning?

Ken and I are headed out from here ard 5

-f

Quick Reply: New GT3 PRICES/DEALS