Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004 | 12:53 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

my whole life happens within about two miles of my home
Crikey Andrew, buy some rollerblades and a big backpack
Old 06-18-2004 | 01:25 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally posted by macfly
The R32 is the top of the line 4 wheel drive sporty Golf, Carl kindly let me drive his red one at Willow when we all out at Tim's event. It is heavy at 3,500lbs, and a little spongy, but the awd system is awesome, turn 2 was like a rally course!

I don't understand why anyone would buy it when for the same price you can get an EVO or a WRX STi. THey are both so much faster and better all around and 4 doors are more convenient than that little hatch, especially for around town.
Old 06-18-2004 | 02:52 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMO, a GT2 is not a balanced car. Too much weight at the rear, increased rear track for a car that understeers in slow turns, not linear response.

The GT3RS is faster than the GT2 at any race track (proven):

Compare the GT3RS vs. GT2

If your car purpose is street driving then a GT2 will be more rewarding (torque).

How do we make a GT3 more capable than a GT3RS? Easy:

Remove more than 150 lbs (the heavy mufflers, GT3RS lightweight flywheel, GT3 seats, lightweight battery, no toolkit, BBS Magnesium wheels), adjust the suspension, MPSC and that's it.

For the price difference, I better order the 4.6 480Hp engine, CF doors, roof, hood and bumpers from Koro.de and sell my car body parts and engine to a fellow 996C2/C4 looking for an upgrade.

There is no other car available I can think to upgrade from this one. Probably the next 420/430 Ferrari, the next 997/998 GT3, FordGT, but nothing currently available, and that includes the GT2 and 360CS.
Old 06-18-2004 | 03:30 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

While the torque in the GT2 is to die for, I think I would stick with the GT3. I really like the instant throttle responce of an NA engine and the feeling that I am driving and not being taken for a ride. I also like the direct link to the GT3 race car. Keep in mind my time in a GT2 was limited to just a few track laps and that more time just might change my mind...

Colm, are you looking to free up some space for the CGT??? Imagine a GT3, GT2, and a CGT all in one garage. OOOooooo... time for a cold shower.
Old 06-18-2004 | 03:40 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

"the feeling that I am driving and not being taken for a ride".
Sloth, that has to be the absolute best description I've ever seen, to describe the lack of involvement in a TT!
Old 06-18-2004 | 03:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It seems that this topic is constantly hashed out with no end in sight, but the motor and setup make them 2 different feeling cars. If you want punch-in-the-back, hang on for dear life, "oh my god" acceleration, then the GT2 is for you. If you want razor sharp handling, instant response, and a motor that pulls to the moon, then it's a GT3.

Since when has outright acceleration been the sole criteria for evaluating cars? If so, then the next generation Z06 should be "The Car" because with over 500 HP & 500 ft lbs of torque, it'll kick all of our cars back to Germany. Come to think of it, the Ford GT has our cars covered right now.

No, the answer still boils down to the quality, handling, reliability and feel that Porsches have, and which is best for you (some will say a plain 996 is the best daily driver) depends on what you are looking for. 'Nuff said.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-18-2004 | 03:55 PM
doody
Advanced

'Nuff said
ah, wishful thinking, my good man!

doody.
Old 06-18-2004 | 04:16 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phil.

I drove a TT and a GT2 back to back on the same course and can vouch for what you are saying first hand, but that is not exactly what I meant. In reference to the GT's, it is more about the sensation I got when hard on the throttle . To me the GT3 says "lets go" while the GT2 says "hold on". IOW, what I am saying has more to do with the sensation of being in control than the level of driver involvement. Like I said before, my time in a GT2 was very limited and my opinion would possibly change with more seat time. Still not sure if I am making sense...

Similar to what Larry is saying...

Originally posted by Larry Herman
If you want punch-in-the-back, hang on for dear life, "oh my god" acceleration, then the GT2 is for you. If you want razor sharp handling, instant response, and a motor that pulls to the moon, then it's a GT3.
IMHO, YMMV.
Old 06-18-2004 | 04:24 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by doody
anybody else care to chime in on GT2 -vs- GT3?

doody.
I've had the privilege and delight of driving them both for the past couple of months and...... I agree with Colm 100%.
Old 06-18-2004 | 07:05 PM
4carl
Race Car

I agree with Andrew and code red I only use the gt3 for back roads and the track. Around town it's to low and not much power below 4k For drivers I've had 3 this year an STI for 5 days it was a rocket but so hideous to look at that i dumped it and got a Evo great car but I wanted something with more creature comforts. I now have the R32 it's not a rocket but fun, tourqey and a good commuter. It was also fun on the track and you can buy one in the 27-29k range.
Old 06-19-2004 | 01:07 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default it's an endless discussion, but.....

I found this comparison to be most interesting, I know we don't have RS's, but with the MPSC's we are most of the way there, as the biggest single advantage the RS has is it's tires over our 'normal' cars. This is taken from track-challenge which is also one of my favorite sites.

The GT2 is a power car, it is a shotgun, a broad sword, the GT3 is a rifle or a rapier. They are just different things. What I find interesting is that all the drivers who have tried both in various magazines and in these chatrooms seem to prefer the GT2. The exception is in Porsche's own driver team at Barber, to a man they all prefer the GT3, and say it is the finest driving 911 that Porsche has ever made. I am happy to rest my fretting mind from missing all that power in the knowledge that the best drivers I know like my car better! :-))
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2004 | 01:49 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MetalSolid
GT2 is a great car, but not worth the extra $90,000.00 - who are Porsche kidding.
Agreed!!! $90,000 for turbos, ceramic brakes and engine internals that are of lesser quality than the GT3...ie: lightened pistons, titanium con rods, GT1 crank shaft...8200 rpm bliss. The GT3 is the bargain of the century...

EDIT: Other tid bits that make the GT3 one of a kind due to race car homologation:

lightweight valve train

Sharper cam shaft contouring opening valves quicker and with higher lift - improves gas flow without the opportunity cost of greater wear and tear. Tappet surfaces are hardened by carbon nitriding, which reduces friction allowing lubrication with less oil.

8 bearing crankshaft finished by plasma carbon nitriding...GT1 technology.

Dry sump oil pump system w/ separate oil tank - system incorporates 5 separate internal pumps. The main pump in the crank case feeds oil to the pressure pipes, two suction pumps in the crank case and one in each cylinder head to feed the oil used back into the tank reservoir. Bottom line...under G's, you can be sure that the moving parts maintain proper lubrication.

Porsche Motorsport transmission - steel syncro rings on third, fourth and fifth gears guarantee shifting precision and a service life 10 times greater than the standard trannies.

Splash oil lubrication and an external transmission cooler that uses a pump to extract the hot oil and sends it through an oil/water heat exchanger integrated in the engine cooling system. After the oil is cooled, the transmission fluid is sprayed as required onto the individual gears, thus being used precisely where critical temperatures in the tranny have to be avoided.

We may not have the low end torque of a turbo, but we do have the predictable linear acceleration of a race car. GT3...There is no substitute!!!

Last edited by rockitman; 06-19-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2004 | 02:57 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I owned my GT2 for about a year; bought my GT3 about two months ago and sold my GT2 at that time. I see points I can agree with in most of the responses to Colm's question. I loved the GT2, and am very happy with the GT3, but these cars have different attributes, as amply discussed in this and previous threads. For my use I probably favor the GT3 - it would be driven more than the GT2 if I had kept both cars. I drive the cars for fun, not necessarily on a daily basis, with much of the use city driving. On the lousy city streets which are pretty much the norm in my area the slightly more compliant suspension of the GT3 is welcome. In addition, at least with my two examples there was a meaningful difference in ride height, and scraping the nose (or wiping out brake cooling ducts) was much more of a concern with the GT2. And this is not just an inconvenience - it can be a safety issue when you are compelled to take parking lot entrances, etc. at a severe angle, and other motorists aren't prepared to accommodate you, or are just confused about what you are trying to do.

So you can see these comments are unique to my useage experience.
Old 06-19-2004 | 04:26 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

I drive my GT2 every day. I upsoluted it for some more power and kept the sport seats in it. I need that "hand of God" feel when I drive it. After spending all that money, I'll be damned if I don't enjoy it ever day! I have no problems with everyday driving but I do live on the Coastal Plains of NC.
Different Strokes for Different Folks
Old 06-19-2004 | 06:22 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Mark: If the roads in Houston were as smooth as those in North Carolina that slate GT2 would probably still be in my garage.

Sounds like you are happy with the car. How much difference did the chip make?

Steve

Quick Reply: GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)