Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004 | 08:20 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve,

The chip added about 50HP to the rear wheels. Definitely a noticable improvement. I also added aluminum pedals and a Cargraphics Export Loud exhaust. The exhaust didn't add much to the butt-o-meter but does made the car sound even racier! I have some videos at http://www.studioonline.com/myvideos...8BE943&Image=2

And yes, I am very happy with the car, you took wonderful care of her!
Old 06-19-2004 | 09:31 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Default Driving skill required: GT-2 vs. GT-3

After a drive this AM in the GT-2, I realizd that one area sometimes overlooked in the context of the GT-2 vs. GT-3 is driver's competency/effort/input required to achieve high performance. While I am far from being even an above average track driver (but have attended numerous driving schools), it is evident (to me at least) that to drive the GT-2 at the same performance level/time split as a GT-3 requires much more "work" for the driver. The 2's considerable power, turbo effect and sensitivity of the car's balance to steering and acceleration requires much more driver's finese and quicker reaction times than in the GT-3. After driving both, it seem as though it takes a lot less effort and driver effort/input to drive the GT-3 at a high performance level than the GT-2. The 3 is so well balanced because of its more linear hp and torque as compared to the 2. As such, that elusive high performance level can be achieved faster with the 3 than the 2. The 3 is more like "plug and play" as opposed to "must reading the instructions (with appropriate caution signs)" with the 2. (Sorry, bad analogy.)

Some of the PDE instructors indicated that while the GT-2 was marginally faster than the GT-3 around Barber, the driver is usually soaked with sweat from working so hard in the 2 to achieve the same times as a 3.

As far as a track car (and comparing the 2 to the 3), it is hard to knock the GT-3.
Old 06-20-2004 | 01:17 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Driving the GT2 fast does make you sweat bullits, but it is because of all of the adrenaline coursing through your viens. It makes you feel young again.
Old 06-21-2004 | 09:37 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Thusly: I think you are pretty much on point with your comments.
Old 06-22-2004 | 04:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Having one of each, I have made my choice. I prefer both!

NJ-GT says that the GT3RS is quicker than the GT2. I doubt it. His reference shows the GT2 faster in every category AND around the 'Ring. The GT3RS was faster at Hockenheim. One VERY import fact is that the GT3RS comes on R compound tires whereas the GT2 comes on street tires. I respectfully submit that the GT3 would be well behind the GT2 if both were on the same tires.

The GT3 is a more practical car because of its higher ride height. The GT2 scrapes on everything. The front spoiler is 3.5 inches off the ground on the GT2 and 5 inches off the ground on the GT3 if both are at factory ride height. That 1.5 inches makes a big difference when it comes to drive-ways and such.

The GT2 is more difficult to drive . no doubt about that. OTOH I am 3 secs a lap faster in the GT2 than the GT3 with the identical set-up (tires brakes alignment). The GT2 requires more caution, more planning and a dose of bravery to drive fast. The huge influx of torque after the revs pass 4000 RPM will make you pay for any mistake in your setup for the corner. The GT3 is nicer in this regard you can play "pitch and catch" for fun.

Is 90 large worth it for 3 seconds ... I leave that up to the person signing the check.

Rgds,
Old 06-30-2004 | 08:47 PM
DealMan
Advanced

I have driven both back-to-back, and as I wrote in the Excellence article, I prefer the GT2 for many of the same reasons that Colm mentions. One additional point that hasn't been mentioned is aesthetics, which can be very personal, but that is another reason I love the GT2 - it just looks so mean from the front and the wide rear stance is awesome. Incidently, I felt that due to the extra rear weight and wider wheels/tires, the GT2 felt more planted on curvy roads.

I should add that I agree with other comments about the GT2 being more difficult to drive, but I find that to be challenging and very rewarding when everything comes together.

Last edited by DealMan; 07-01-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2004 | 01:37 PM
craigsduc
Instructor

Default GT2 vs GT3

After reading every post regarding comparos of these two incredible cars, it is obvious there will never be a shortage of enthusiasm for both. Cudos to Porsche for making such tools....er er toys!.........Ive driven a few GT3s on test drives only so my opinion is limited on them but after owning a 2 for a little while..................I must say a GT2 is exactly what I wanted. I wanted a trackable car that would reward a competent driver..... if treated correctly!..................IT DOES!!!!!( Not that I am competent to the level of this car................but it thinks I am at this point). I also wanted a more involving and difficult car to go fast in............IT IS! I wanted a car that looks the business it delivers..................IT REALLY DOES!! Every time I drive the car. I say to myself . if it could deliver 5 year old children, clean the house, and cook........................I.d marry it. as long as I could have a mistress! Not that driving it isnt better than sex. its just that a tiny bit of variety would be nice too! I know this car...............equipped and set up properly...... would be the faster car on a track over the GT3 and the RS. It just is not as easy a car to drive at speed! I had a " GT3 " 944 POC car I drove for a few years............ which earned me an assortment of wooden plaques and paper weights for my office. It was in the end to me................ a very easy car to drive fast. It was so well balanced and predictable that I took passengers on the track at speed with no worries. Keep in mind this was a 250 hp car.............that regularly beat other flat six P cars of all types simply because it WAS so well balanced and easy to drive fast. It became boring! Although my GT2 has a second seat, I am far from feeling ok about taking someone with me on a track at speed. With alot more seat time, I it will happen...........just not yet! The suspension is too soft for serious track work but thats easy to fix as there is an assortment of nice pieces out there to be had. Tires and wheels are also in order as we all know but that is to be expected. After all, it is NOT A RACECAR. but EITHER IS A GT3. nor for that matter an RS! These are all road cars with a well above average amount of trackworthiness built in from the factory. It is up to us as owners to improve the hardware to suit our needs and it is our job as drivers to hone our skills to utilize these cars. Buying a car that was easy to drive fast was not interesting to me. Personally, felling like I have gone a few rounds with Tyson ( Well, maybe not Tyson....)after spending time on a track with a car appeals to me...............as long as the times are good. These are not daily drivers. Thats why they make M3s, M5s, RS6s, Range Rovers, Accords, Honda Goldwings, and Rascals.................OK OK...........sans the Rascals!

Regardless of which of these cars we own, one thing is true. They are all better track tools than most of us are drivers...................but that is the only way I would have it!
Old 07-06-2004 | 03:17 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Don't own either, but my goal is to one day own a GT2. I'm learning more and more about the car day by day and someday like to be a driver who's skilled enough to properly handle the car and drive it conservatively around the neighborhood and and with a degree of control when I want to open her up.

Considering the low amount of GT2s out there that aren't damaged or destroyed, I don't think I'll ever take mine to the track but always admire its stance and prowess in the garage along with the roar of the flat-6 and Fabspeed Supersport strapped to the *** end of mine in about 3 years

Andy
Old 07-07-2004 | 01:40 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Craigsduc,

I agree totally with your comments. To draw an "academic" conclusion I think one could say that the GT2 is for "graduates" or maybe even "Phds". No reader should assume that I'm in either category (I wish).
Old 07-07-2004 | 09:31 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone selling their PCCB system...??
Old 07-07-2004 | 10:44 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Check out the most recent issue of excellence there is a PCCB system for sale for CHEAP in the classifieds area.
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:14 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Porsche chooses to race the GT3 not the GT2! Even the professional race car drivers prefer the GT3. Thats good enough for me. From Porsche's current lineup - For a track/street car I'll take the GT3. For the street I'll take a Turbo. For autocrossing, I'll take a boxster. Just my opinion.
Old 07-08-2004 | 12:00 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

For autocross I'll take the GT3 hands down. I ran 3 seasons with a Boxster S.
Old 07-08-2004 | 12:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

A GT2 is to a GT3 like:

A 550 Maranello is to a 360 Stradale

A 2004 Mustang Cobra is to a 2000 Cobra R

A Supercharged C5 Vette coupe is to a Z06

A Honda NSX is to a Honda S2000

A BMW M5 is to a BMW M3
Old 07-08-2004 | 01:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

If I was in the fortunate position to choose, GT3 all the way baby

Quick Reply: GT2 versus GT3 (If I could only have one!)