Sponsored by:

Possible to import Mk 1 GT3 to US

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Possible to import Mk 1 GT3 to US

Is it possible to import a MK 1 GT3 and it be street legal in the US. Since we have the current one and the engine is essentially the same. It would be cool to get a nicely used Mk 1 to complement my Mk 2. Just curious.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no
Old 06-15-2004, 01:38 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Not impossible, just expensive. May be easier now than when the GT3 wasn't imported to the US. You need to check with a company that does fed conversions, (if there are any left). Or you could find one of the 7 RUF RGT's that were imported here.

Robin
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd vote with Robin on the Ruf RGT if you really want a US street legal Mk 1 GT3. The problem with importing/converting an actual Mk 1 GT3s is Porsche filed documents with whatever Federal agency in charge of approving conversions citing differences between the Mk 1 GT3 and the standard 996 essentially saying the cars could not be converted to meet US safety regs. I can't find the copy I once had but as I recall it cited arcane things like the windshield defrost system not meeting US requirements.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

there are a few in the states actually - 1 has plates that i know of the others are here on a "race only" bill of sale in collections.
the one with plates i am not sure how it got in honestly but it's the real deal. it would be pretty difficult. my sugestion is to buy a 99 996 NSF (no egas) and purchase a GT-3 MK-1 motor and tranny from europe, add suspension from the MK1 or other system (moton, Protrac, etc), and add the interior parts, carpets, rip out the sound deading, etc. it would be way cheaper than importing one (used 99's are dropping fast) and be something that you could really push on the track. no braging rights though - it's just a 996.
if it's for a collection or the track solely - no fed paper work required.

here is another option although not looked at highly....
here is Wa you can legally switch VIN's on a title *IF* the car was wrecked and a replacement body was purchased. Of course you have to make a 996 disappear never to return to the US. but it can be done.
this is how a certian EVO 7 RS is legally here with it's real VIN number, an 8 was sacrificed, it was a rally car actually and heavy damage is comman.
this is the Body snacher technique
my 2 cents
Old 06-18-2004, 12:09 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Rob's right. In late 2000, after driving a Mark I in England. I thoroughly investigated this whole issue, dismissing the whole grey market import thing, because of the Porsche / Customs cooperation. Then, I went through the entire bill of materials, and costs to build a GT3, based on a US C4, no sunroof cadaver, with imported parts from ROW. The conclusion: about $150K, to do it right, about $120K, If I got really lucky and could buy a wreck in Germany, locate a '99 C4 with no sunroof at a bargain.

The devil (and the $$$) were in the little details. I gave up and deposited $ with a dealer on advice from some nice people close to PCNA told me to be patient and put my money down.

Robin
Old 06-18-2004, 02:16 AM
joe hayes
Track Day

Does anyone know how much it would cost to legally Federalize a GT3 RS? Anyone have any experience in this area? Has anyone heard any rumors that Porsche might be bringing in the RS in the future?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i would contact an offical ICI (Independent Commercial Importer ) for a quote - doing one would be 30-50K (ballpark) with volume bringing the price down. Or it might be eligible for the show and shine waiver at some point but since it is a 996 chassis Idoubt it.
there are number of ICI's that are reconized by the fed's

G&K i know would do something like this..Not sure about the others

here are the sites of interest
general info
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

registered importers
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t05282004.html

Eligible cars for show and display

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (last made) 1998 (Gee i wonder who this one belongs too..... Hint it's blue... )
Porsche 959 1987 - 1988
Porsche 993 Carrera RS 1996

these guys might be able to help (?)
http://www.euro-rs.com
Old 06-18-2004, 03:04 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make your own VIN plate.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

This was discussed recently in the Racing & DE forum - see https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=134964
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default call and find out

automobile concept converted a Z8 for me,call them at 305-893-1950
Old 06-19-2004, 01:41 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I too had a Euro Z8, and am pretty familiar with what it takes to import and register a grey market car. It is much easier getting a car into the the 49 states, we get hammered hard in CA by the CARB, a bunch of pencil pushing prats who have nothing better to do than enforce petty Kafkaesque absurdities that are a block to every interesting machine on the planet. They use pollution as the excuse, but since the regs in the EU are actually more stringent than here that is plainly not the case. They are just justifying thier tax dollar wasting lives by stopping our fun, fire 'em all and let's save some $$ I say!

OK, sorry, back on subject, there is actually a GT3 Mk1 in an exotic car showroom on Sunset Blvd right now, it's the one on the north side of the street near the Hustler store (don't ask!) I haven't been in to ask the price, but it looks really sweet, silver ext with nice looking BBS/HRE style polished wheels. These guys are always selling stuff you don't see anywhere else.

Also the is a crazy looking Ruf of some kind up at the Racers Group at Sears Point for sale. Looks fast!

Quick Reply: Possible to import Mk 1 GT3 to US