Sponsored by:

Rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wing

Do I need to buy get adapter to adjust the rear wing pitch to 4 and 8 degrees? I saw them on Gert site. I was assuming this was standard with the car, but his site sell them as an add on?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. The adapter is just a filler piece for the wedge shaped space that is created when you raise the wing. You can run it without them, especially if you plan to move it around (8 for slow tracks, 4 for fast tracks, flat for street).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Thanks Larry
Old 05-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

I haven't gotten around to installing the 4 degree shims yet but I may just leave them in for the street as well. Not for the boy racer look but for drainage purposes. At the flat setting the wing gathers a nice big water puddle.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
fuse
Advanced

I think the wing looks better with 4 degrees in place...IMO.

Without the wedge spacers, you can adjust them freely...there is actually a pretty broad adjustment range. The spacer is nice to just insert them in and lock them down and know exactly what the setting is.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fuse
Without the wedge spacers, you can adjust them freely...there is actually a pretty broad adjustment range. The spacer is nice to just insert them in and lock them down and know exactly what the setting is.
fuse: Are you sure about that? The Mk 1 GT3 wing was freely adjustable but my understanding was that the Mk 2 wing was either 0, 4 or 8 degrees with the latter two requiring the shims. Mind you I haven't actually tried installing the shims yet so I have no idea what the adjustment mechanism looks like.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
fuse
Advanced

I have the 4 degrees shim on the car...with 8 degrees, the wing is pretty agressively angled.

To install them, there are 2 little plugs in the inside of the wing uprights. They are soft plastic, be very careful or you will break the little tabs that hold it in. Once removed, there is a single T30 torx on each upright. When you loosen both torx, you will be able move the wing up and down freely pivoting from the front of the uprights. You will be able to see that the torx is locking down a curved slot metal piece. When you insert the desired shim, you can drop the wing right on it and lock down the torx. So, if you are not using the shim, the angle of the wing is free with in the slot range of movement and locked down by the torx...but w/o the shim, you are relying on the single T30 torx to hold the down force of the wing. and leaving a gap from the upright to the rear of the wing. I'd say the shim make it convenient...and realistically, you don't really need free adjustment, just the presets are fine. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd imagine you can fit both the 4 and 8 degrees shim together and get 12 degrees. So you can have 0-4-8-12. My Elise Motorsport only has 4 positions on the rear wing as well.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

fuse: Thanks for the warning on the covers. One reason I haven't played with the adjustment yet is they seemed pretty flimsy.

Quick Reply: Rear wing