Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evolution of my $39k GT3: 3.9 build underway!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022 | 07:44 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
What happens to the DME when you do a rebuild? Do the rev counters and hours get reset?
The dme stays in the car (albeit with a new tune), so I believe all the hours and overrevs stay as is. But I was planning to screen shot the readout on the durametric when I get it back so I can document that all the type 1's 2's were before the engine build. Not that it will really help or matter...the rev limit gets raised with this upgrade by a couple hundred, so I figure I'll be logging ALOT more type 1's. Then again, I'm not doing all this to sell the car, so I really don't care about having a "clean dme" but it would be nice to show it as clean if I ever suffer a financial calamity and need to sell all my toys (even then, I'd rather make this my daily than sell it...I'm not kidding....if I could only have one vehicle to drive (as long as my wife could still have an suv for kid duty), this would be the one. After all, the ac works great, its fun to drive, its comfortable, and I trust it mechanically more than any car I've ever owned. they just don't break. .
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
Brian Himmelman (08-25-2022), Marv (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022 | 09:11 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Ok thanks. It seemed to me that with a complete rebuild like you are doing, it's essentially a new engine, and that one could argue that counters could be reset.
Old 03-21-2022 | 11:12 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have heard that it is not easy to reset those number, and even a PWIS makes it difficult, if at all possible. Would like to know otherwise, as my numbers are a bit 'high'.

Scott, remember that there is an hour count with these number, should be easy to show the transgressions happened before the rebuild!

Scott, what will your 'new' redline be in that motor?

Ray
Old 03-22-2022 | 02:21 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Are the wrist pin offsets used in the Carrillo pistons have a right side and a left side or are they all the same? I ask because the OEM Mahle parts are, and most/many motors have a right side and a left side. I spoke with Mahle and seems like that is what Porsche wanted, so Mahle gave that to them. WRT wrist pins, I used some aftermarket ones with a DLC. they were just a tiny bit heavier but I decided I wanted the tradeoff.

Thanks

Ray
996/997/991street GT3s and Cups all use the same single piston for all 6. The pistons have asymetrical valve pockets, so if the wrist pin is indeed offset, one side of the motor has the pistons positioned wrong. Based on my experience, this does not matter much if at all.

996RSR uses left and right side specific pistons. 997.1/.2 RSRs again use the same piston for all 6.

As a data point, when I had my 3.8 and 4.0 built with Mahle Motorsport pistons, both the 103mm (3.8) and 106mm (4.0) pistons had offset wrist pins but the valve pockets were symmetrical so the piston could simply be rotated 180º to correctly orient it for both sides of the motor.

Last edited by powdrhound; 03-22-2022 at 02:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (04-01-2022)
Old 03-22-2022 | 09:52 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, I had seen that the RSR were indeed symmetrical. Engine builders like to keep it that way as the forces, piston velocities, and wear are similar on both sides. I suspect that it was a financial decision for Porsche. It was just something I noticed when building my motor, and then found out that Porsche has been doing this with most of their street cars for a long time...

Ray
Old 03-23-2022 | 04:34 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

If you don't mind, could you ask John, I am curious as to what he says. I suspect it may have been a $$$ thing for Porsche, but they are far smarter than I, so it could be any number of things, and I guess you can accommodate this with cams... Will there be a change in compression ratio?

I am also really curious to see what this does on a Dyno - before and after, and regardless it will be a lot of fun!

Ray
Hey Ray, sorry I missed your post! I will ask him shortly.....he has been swamped this week as he just got back from the Texas mile (where his big turbo build cars compete). I think the compression ratio is staying put. he also said no reason to upgrade the valve springs so I'm going with that! Unfortunately, I didn't get a pre-dyno as the before/after difference was not that important to me. He does have his own dyno though, and it will be put on the dyno for initial tuning and to make sure everything is safe after the build is done.
Old 03-23-2022 | 04:46 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott, will you be replacing the springs???
Old 03-23-2022 | 04:49 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott, will you be replacing the springs???
Absolutely, but staying with the oem springs and not "upgrading" them to a different/stronger/lighter spring.
Old 04-01-2022 | 08:33 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Scott, this is super cool news. Can't wait to check this thread regularly. This is a great story. I'm starting down the 3.9 or 4.1 path now. Talking with SW in Nor Cal. Getting to know the lads there and to experiencing their cars. Drove the 4.1 this past Wed. What...a...beast!!! Not sure where I'll land. Starting with dialing back the suspension a bit for these N Cal roads, and baselining the car, transmission and suspension. I'm def going to do one of the motors, but need more data points between the 3.9 and the 4.1 first. I need to drive a proper 3.9 to compare, but like you, this car will be with me for some time, so I'm excited to build it over time. I'm going to PM you with a few Q's.

Cheers Scott and keep us posted. Awesome man!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
engerman (04-02-2022)
Old 05-04-2022 | 08:34 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Had some delays on a few parts but now everything is in hand! Stopped by the shop today to check up on the progress. So cool to see these engines going back together. Definitely a puzzle! Can’t wait to get this beast on the road. Here are some photos I took of the cylinders and liners and a bunch of miscellaneous top end parts.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 05-04-2022 at 08:36 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
ChaoticSquare (05-04-2022), engerman (05-04-2022), Marv (05-04-2022), Sirenty (05-05-2022), Toby Pennycuff (05-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022 | 03:44 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Any new updates, Scott? Man would really love to see this when it’s done, and get your feedback on the build
Old 06-04-2022 | 06:33 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
Any new updates, Scott? Man would really love to see this when it’s done, and get your feedback on the build
Supposedly two weeks away! But I heard the same a few weeks ago. I’m not really the squeaky wheel/ complaining type so I’m just gonna let him do his thing. It’s very clear that the shop, like everywhere else in the world, is understaffed and overworked! I’m sure the end product will be worth it though!
Old 06-18-2022 | 11:11 AM
PumpkinRS
Rennlist Member

Yep you're post made me think twice about having a 996 GT3 and I was able to grab one again shortly after I sold my first one. And you are right it's the keeper out of all the cars I've ever had. I have had quite a few cool car but this is the one I love the most and for me part of it is because I feel it takes care of you back because it's such a solid and reliable platform. I went overboard and have 2 sets of factory GT3 RS sports seats and a GT3 RS wing for it now.
The following 2 users liked this post by PumpkinRS:
engerman (06-18-2022), Toby Pennycuff (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022 | 11:03 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PumpkinRS
Yep you're post made me think twice about having a 996 GT3 and I was able to grab one again shortly after I sold my first one. And you are right it's the keeper out of all the cars I've ever had. I have had quite a few cool car but this is the one I love the most and for me part of it is because I feel it takes care of you back because it's such a solid and reliable platform. I went overboard and have 2 sets of factory GT3 RS sports seats and a GT3 RS wing for it now.
yup, and the really cool part? If you feel like that now I suspect the feeling is only going to get stronger as time passes and the feel and driving dynamics of these rare cars will be even more unique and desirable!
Old 07-19-2022 | 05:15 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Ok, overdue update. Engine was going back together but pressure testing the refurbished heads showed one valve not sealing to the head well. So off came that head to get re-machined at the valve seat to ensure a "tight" engine. Bummer about more delays but more than happy that the shop it taking its time to ensure everything is perfect. John knows this car is a keeper and so I really appreciate his attention to detail! It sucks its taking so much longer than initially estimated, but with part delays and production issues globally, its not surprising. I'll be sure to update the thread when the car is done!
The following 4 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
brontosaurus (07-19-2022), craina (07-19-2022), dukmon (07-20-2022), Toby Pennycuff (07-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Evolution of my $39k GT3: 3.9 build underway!