Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evolution of my $39k GT3: 3.9 build underway!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 05:41 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

Update: Work has been progressing. Case has been machined for the larger pistons and the halves are back together with rods. Waiting on new piston rings to come in so the short block can be buttoned up. John (engine builder) reports that overall wear was not as much as we expected based on my description of the car's past life (lots of HARD track time, based on the videos I viewed of the car before I bought it). Some minimal rod bearing wear, but to use John's words, "nothing major by any means...looks like she has lived a happy life!" Below is a pic John sent me today. Its nice knowing that all the seals, gaskets, and other wear components like bearings, chain rails, etc... are being refreshed! Cannot endorse John enough. Totally stand up guy and so easy to work with. Will provide more updates and pics in the next couple days. I'll probably visit the shop soon to take a peek for myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
Brian Himmelman (08-25-2022), plpete84 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:23 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

John is awesome, great build.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:14 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

How did the rods look? Were there any over-revs on your car? My car has similar miles and probably track life to yours, and the rods are the only thing that keep me up at night.

I came into this knowing it’ll need a rebuild eventually, but also hoping to delay it somewhat.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 798 Posts

Awesome! Happy for you Scott. Can't wait till it's finished.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Yes, lots of type 1's and 2's. John didn't say anything about the rods specifically...he said he didn't observe any abnormal wear. But he likely didn't pay pay much attention to the rods as I'm not re-using them...as I got the 997 versions with the pistons from @flsupraguy (did I mention the debt of gratitude I owe him?). Per John, they are the same dimensions as the 996 gt3 ti rods but beefed up and improved in some minor respects.

Frankly, I was surprised too hear the wear was not too bad. As noted above, this car seemed slower than my other 6-3, had more valve noise, and had a tad bit lower hot idle oil pressure which lead me to believe I could have had worn main bearings. Perhaps it was down on power a bit because of loose valve guides/seals or other issues with the valve train. I never once experienced a low oil pressure warning or light (except the time the sender failed and went to zero, but that was cured by a new sensor), but even after the sensor replacement my hot idle oil pressure was lower than any other mezger I had ever owned (and I watch that stuff like a hawk).
Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Awesome! Happy for you Scott. Can't wait till it's finished.
Thanks buddy! So excited!
Old 03-21-2022, 03:57 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Just as a couple extra data points, we did replace the oil pump as at 70k miles and significant track time, it showed some scoring on the rotors and some wear on the housing, so it was prudent to replace. Per John, this type of wear can be the reason for low hot idle oil pressure. The lifters were also pretty worn (not collapsed...yet), but worn enough that it made sense to replace them all. These two items increased the cost a good bit (oil pump in particular is not cheap), but I'm happy knowing that the engine is going to basically be a "zero hour" motor when I get it back!
Old 03-21-2022, 04:09 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi Scott,

The rods in the picture look a lot like Pankels - is that what you are using?

Ray
Old 03-21-2022, 04:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Scott,

The rods in the picture look a lot like Pankels - is that what you are using?

Ray
yup...replacing the stock oem 996 rods with the 997 oem pankl rotors. Per John the 997 oem rods are a bit more sturdy than the 996 versions, but same dimensions.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:26 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

there is a big difference between the 3.8l and the 3.6l Pankel rods, the 3.6 997 & 996 rods are the same dimensions. I used the 3.8l parts when I did the motor the last time.

I used ARP bolts, but the OEM parts are allegedly good for 3 install / remove cycles, and are of good quality (as you would expect )

New valve springs with your new lifters?
Old 03-21-2022, 04:33 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

there is a big difference between the 3.8l and the 3.6l Pankel rods, the 3.6 997 & 996 rods are the same dimensions. I used the 3.8l parts when I did the motor the last time.

I used ARP bolts, but the OEM parts are allegedly good for 3 install / remove cycles, and are of good quality (as you would expect )

New valve springs with your new lifters?
Correct...using the 3.6 997.1 gt3 oem rods as they much up with the pistons (carrillo, same as used by sharkwerks in their builds) and per the builder, these rods are very stout. And yes, all new valve train parts (springs, guides, machining heads, etc...). Cam adjusters were inspected and found to be totally fine to re-use, and I already changed the chain tensioners 10k miles ago so those won't be replaced either. Also getting a brand new "gasket kit" and "chain kit" (rails, chain, etc...). So excited.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 03-21-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:00 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are the wrist pin offsets used in the Carrillo pistons have a right side and a left side or are they all the same? I ask because the OEM Mahle parts are, and most/many motors have a right side and a left side. I spoke with Mahle and seems like that is what Porsche wanted, so Mahle gave that to them. WRT wrist pins, I used some aftermarket ones with a DLC. they were just a tiny bit heavier but I decided I wanted the tradeoff.

Thanks

Ray
Old 03-21-2022, 05:27 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Are the wrist pin offsets used in the Carrillo pistons have a right side and a left side or are they all the same? I ask because the OEM Mahle parts are, and most/many motors have a right side and a left side. I spoke with Mahle and seems like that is what Porsche wanted, so Mahle gave that to them. WRT wrist pins, I used some aftermarket ones with a DLC. they were just a tiny bit heavier but I decided I wanted the tradeoff.

Thanks

Ray
Good question...no idea LOL!
Old 03-21-2022, 05:55 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you don't mind, could you ask John, I am curious as to what he says. I suspect it may have been a $$$ thing for Porsche, but they are far smarter than I, so it could be any number of things, and I guess you can accommodate this with cams... Will there be a change in compression ratio?

I am also really curious to see what this does on a Dyno - before and after, and regardless it will be a lot of fun!

Ray
Old 03-21-2022, 07:34 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

What happens to the DME when you do a rebuild? Do the rev counters and hours get reset?

Quick Reply: Evolution of my $39k GT3: 3.9 build underway!