Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Did a little study of PET 6 and found the RS differences to be essentially as indicated in the Information Technik I presented at beginning of this thread with some additional comments:

1) There is heat protection for speed sensor wiring, different mounting clips for the wiring and different plastic brake ducting and backing plates. Same wheel bearing as normal GT3.

2) Front spring and shock different, all other associated strut hardware the same as normal GT3.

3) Front stab drop links different, otherwise front stab bar as in normal GT3.

4) Brake backing plates different in rear as well

5) Rear spring apparently unchanged from normal GT3 at least none is listed for RS. That's apparently why confusion in the Info Technik on this issue

6) Rear shock different, other associated coilover hardware identical to normal GT3.

7) Rear Lower control arm different, actually identical part numbers to the spacer adjustable front lower control arm in normal GT3.

Hope of interest to some.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of which, Gert has put together a package for a suspension upgrade at a great price (I think).

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96175.htm
Old 09-30-2004, 11:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for waking up this thread. Great reading it again with more apparent vigor...at least for me.... :-)
Old 10-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

A question I asked before remains unanswered, and I wonder if the same question has occurred to others. Here is my thinking and question:

One of the major components that differs in the GT3 RS suspension, and I assume priced in Gert's kit, is the main longitudinal casting pictured in diagram below. (It is #1 in diagram, the numeral 1 is on the extreme left.)

The factory literature only lists a change to the camber eccentric portions of the longitudinal, see below statement and picture. The changes are made to the flanges pictured above the nut, #16 in the diagram above, and also indicated in diagram below at the arrow .

My question is, if one does not want to achieve the extremes of negative camber this modification allows, why not only install the wheel carriers and other modifications alone, forgoing the longitudinal members. Indeed the 2 piece lower control arm alone allows much more negative camber than a stock GT3. This way the camber curve and bump steer advantages would be achieved at a substantial saving of money and time. The wheel carriers and other changes could be easily installed (or removed) is a few hours, is this a reasonable idea?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:05 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cupcar, very reasonable idea, how much would the saving be on the kit? (assuming it is included)
Old 10-01-2004, 02:59 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 662 Posts

I think Gert needs to list what is in the 48 piece kit. That way we would at least know what we are getting in the whole kit.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Also it would be nice if someone could validate that the ONLY changes are to the camber eccentric slot. Perhaps Gert could take a look at the pieces and check this question as well as indicate cost savings.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The side supports are included.
We tried to included ALL the parts in the kit, not a selection of what we think is necessary .
Old 10-01-2004, 05:43 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone seen the Cargraphic GT3RSC.
It has an upgraded ECU and exhaust and air intake, rated at 411HP.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

is it worth voiding the warranty for?
I am very excited about the RS suspension upgrade, and may well make it over the winter, but I wouldn't touch the motor until the warranty is done. The car is so damn fast at the track anyhow, I don't think I need more power, I need more skill in using what I have!!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Another thought about installing the GT3RS suspension.

It looks to me that the rear suspension's wheel carriers could be installed using the stock GT3 lower control arms, forgoing the GT3RS lower control arms.

Again, as in elimination of the RS longitudinals from the installation, the ultimate negative camber that can be achieved is limited compared to the full RS installation. But, if one is happy with the amount of negative camber they are able to get with the stock GT3 suspension, why add more cost and complexity to the installation?

The installation parts list would be down to 4 wheel carriers and hardware such as wheel bearings and retainer plates, ABS sensor wire shields, backing plates, front springs and shocks, front stab bar drop links and rear shocks. I think I could handle that in a day in my garage at home easily.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:06 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I think I could handle that in a day in my garage at home easily.

Cool, shall I bring mine round the next day, with some beers of course!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

macfly- Do you have a shop manual? I may take you up on the offer!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:36 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can you buy the RS parts separately (unbundled)??? Sounds like Gert's is a bundled package.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

macfly- Do you have a shop manual? I may take you up on the offer!!!
No, I just have the ring bound little tech book that is often quoted here.

Certainly interested in what you get up to though, as I'm feeling my 3 will likely be a long term affair. I wasn't planning to spend any extra cash on it until I was sure what the future held, but if there is a 997 GT3 I don't think it will be more than a styling and detail change, so it looks like I'll be settled in my car till the 998 GT3 arrives, and thus I can justify a little extra outlay on upgrades.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Differences