Sponsored by:

First driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:37 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First driving impressions

GREAT SHNIKES! I can honestly say this is one the greatest driver's cars I've ever driven. I'd never actually driven a 996 GT3 before buying one and taking delivery last night. I largely went off what I read, and conversations I had with two pro racer buds who gushed as soon as I said, "996 GT3". Before I get too far into my detailed observations, my overall thought for this car is that it's clear this is a homologation special. And it is special. Although not a racecar, the carry-over bits necessary for homologation are quite evident. You can't help but smile and know you're driving something truly race-bred and VERY special. Here are my first impressions after taking possession, driving for ~15 mins, and then parking it so I could make it to family dinner -

1. The clutch is not as heavy as I was expecting. My '65 Stingray with a 406 Dart small-block, Centerforce clutch plates and mechanical linkage is a heavy clutch. What I did notice is that it's high friction; but it communicates well. I won’t be teaching anyone how to drive a stick in this car 😉.

2. I'd read about the steering, which was also something my pro-racer friends drooled all over themselves talking about. Geez. Pretty sure the only way I could get more information about the road would be if I drug my tongue along the surface ahead of the tires! You feel everything. The car did track much more than a 'normal car', but I never felt like it was trying to put me in a ditch. Kinda like driving a modern Ferrari, it doesn't take long before you feel like you could drive this thing at 8/10nths, and maybe 9/10nths without serious worry of ending the day in a ball of fire. The car feels 'twitchier' than many high-end cars that have that planted feel, but I kinda like that! You know immediately that if you do something stupid, there are no computer nannies to save you. The good news is I get the sense the car will tell you you're doing something stupid well before the "I told you so!" This car is anything but muted when it comes to handling feel.

3. I totally understand why so many of you put on after-market exhaust. I've driven a couple Ferraris and Lambos north of 8k rpms. The Ferrari sounds like a band of Angels... The Lambo sounds like a band of demons hunting down the band of angels. The 6-3... meh. It doesn't sound bad, but I was expecting more. I guess I'll need to actually READ the 6-3 exhaust thread.

4. This thing is tiny! Geez. In my research, I noticed the car is smaller in length, height, and width from the later cars (especially width), but I was still shocked when I poured my 6'2" frame into the driver seat. It made my old 2012 911 GTS seem gigantic! With the seat all the way back, and the wheel telescoped all the way out, the wheel doesn't rub on my thighs, but it would be nice if the wheel tilted up just a bit. Other than that, the interior is nice. Not quite the build quality and comfort of my old 997.2 car, but still higher quality than most cars. I will say it feels more racy where the 997.2 felt more ‘grand-touring’.

5. You always know where all 4 corners of the car are. I know this sounds like a strange thing to say, but it's something I learned not to take for granted in the newer wide-bodied cars. A 2012 GTS (and GT3) is ~3.5 inches wider than the 6-3. When I first started driving that, it was a very strange sensation to have that giant rear-end following you around corners. On two lane roads, I remember the backend would hit center-line reflectors that the front-end missed. I never auto-crossed that car, but always assumed I'd murder a family of orange cones across every apex on the course. This is an awesome non-issue with the 6-3. Again, the car feels less planted (The GTS had an extra 2 inches of rubber width at the back), but as strange as this sounds... I think that's a good thing. We'll see if I still feel that way after my first good spin.

6. The transmission definitely requires skill. I consider myself an above-average driver with decent heel-toe skills, but I was hit with a good dose of humility. It actually reminded me a little of my 1970 911T 915 tranny. Shifts are not to be rushed. I wasn't going to push it on my first drive, but I figured out quickly what everyone talked about with slow shifts. blipping downshifts could be done quickly, but upshifts are slow and deliberate. Where my classic Corvette actually perform better with a ham-fisted brute-force style, the 6-3 demands some skill and finesse. To be honest, it’s gonna take me a little while to master proficiency in this thing.

I did have one issue on my short drive - I pulled the car off the transporter and let it warm-up for a couple mins while I signed for the car and took possession of a few extra goodies. I then drove ~5 miles (~7 mins) nice and easy between 2500 and 4500 rpms. All temps and fluids in the green. I then hit a freeway on-ramp where I opened her up. ~8k shift from 2nd to 3rd, and road 3rd to ~100mph. After lifting, the CEL starts flashing and the dash shows, "Drive to workshop". WTF? I immediately mashed the clutch and coasted to the next offramp. As the car slowed to under 30mph, the CEL went off, and the "Drive to workshop" disappeared. We drove another ~5 miles back home without any issues.

I'm ordering the Durametric. I've checked the 996 GT3 threads. Seems like this isn't anything to freak out about, but still a little disconcerting.

Other than that... This car has officially bumped my buddy’s gated 430 off my list of top-3 driver cars. I’m hoping to get in a little more seat time ahead of the storm that’s on its way.

M.

The following 3 users liked this post by gonzobreath:
brontosaurus (02-01-2021), engerman (02-01-2021), HDA (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

cel is probably from O2 sensors.
congrats on the 6gt3 great platform.
enjoy and keep the shiney side up
Old 02-01-2021, 03:57 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

Great write up! I would bet you will like it even more as you learn the car. Std 997 shifter with the function first bushing kit really helps with shifter feel too. And oem 964 motor mounts (don’t do tranny mounts...too much nvh!). Have fun (ie, keep it above 5k rpm...nothing matches that feeling!).
Old 02-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
cel is probably from O2 sensors.
congrats on the 6gt3 great platform.
enjoy and keep the shiney side up
This, especially if yours has aftermarket high flow cats installed. My does this fairly frequently but always the same post cat O2 codes if I do not heat them up enough while cruising.

At speed on track the cats are happy and this doesnt happen at all.

I am surprised by your shifting feedback. I felt like this car made me feel like a PRO after driving BMW cars for decade plus. The 996gt3 throw is much more mechanical and I feel like the pedals are PERFECT for heel toe. I dont rush the shift out of habiof and mechanical sympathy so that may be why. At speed on track, downshifting is AMAZING and feels second nature whereas the bmws always seemed to be harder to finesse smoothly.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:26 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 337 Posts

Great writeup! You being that stoked about your first drive is going to make my wait till April that much worse though.. aaargh!

Speaking of BMWs, maybe it had something to do with the clutch delay vales those had? I owned my E46 for almost five years and I would STILL stall it probably once a month because of that damn thing.

Last edited by brontosaurus; 02-01-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:16 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

these first impressions are awesome: congrats!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:11 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

I got out for an hour or so of playing with the new toy. Good news and good news -

First, no "Drive to Workshop" messages on the dash today.

Second, The transmission shifts a lot faster and smoother once things come up to operating temperatures. The shifts are fairly notch-ie for the first 10-ish minutes.

I got out for a good mix of winding mountain road and highway driving. Both were awesome. The car feels like it has far more than 380hp. It just keeps building and building... and building some more. I still stand by saying it could have a better exhaust... but today I had a better appreciation for it than I did last night.

Phenomenal car.
The following users liked this post:
engerman (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Great to read your first impressions. I'm on my third exhaust on my 6 GT3. The stock was too soft so I went to the full bypass Fabspeed tips that eliminates the mufflers completely - loud and sweet but had a bit of a drone at highway speed. Now I have a Tubi exhaust that is like the baby bear - not too loud - not too soft. I find my car really prefers to be shifted at above 4k rpm and is even better above 5k rpm - which is not always possible. If your car has a Techquipment Porsche factory roll bar the cross bar will prevent you from getting all the leg room available in the car. I thought about switching to a DAS roll bar that has the driver's side set back but love the look of the factory part. In terms of the steering - I think the setup will impact that quite a bit. I drove a 996 GT2 back to back with my GT3 and the 2 had a kind of hunty/ twitchy feel about the front end. I think the car is aligned a bit more aggressively than my 6 which is compromised between track and street.
gonzobreath (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:33 AM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

John - Just read your latest thread. Great read.

No roll bar in my car. I'm just a big boy - 6'2" and 220lbs.

I'll check out the Tubi exhaust. The issue I have is that I live in CA. My choices for aftermarket exhaust are limited to what's approved by C.A.R.B., or what I can switch in and out quickly when I have my bi-annual smog test and inspection.

M.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:51 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats and enjoy in good health!

If you're not planning on dailying the car, u could run an aggressive exhaust. I'm planning on going catless as my car only sees backroads (maybe a trackday once I get the coolant lines pinned).
As of rn I'm going to get some recaro's/suspension bits/new fluids before buying an exhaust
Old 02-02-2021, 01:31 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts
Great first impressions with physical detail. Four words: Stay Ahead Of It. Not knowing the alignment specs or tires is more reason to anticipate. Driving streets are 5/10ths at best and every time you drive the car let it talk to you. Crazy I know but you'll understand when you're able to enjoy drives on the track closer to the limit(s). The 996 is my favorite car and I have a 2019 RS. Although the steering, braking, and overall balance of the RS is amazing, the car is big, and not as "physically" connected. Take no offense, but the RS can take average inputs and make them stellar. Porsche has made it easier and safer to go fast. That is with all nannies on. Take the nannies off and we've got a whole other world to explore with alignment, tires, and training. The RS is WIDE and doesn't feel like the glove that took 11K track miles to break in.

So yes. Tire pressures, temps, environmental conditions, last nights party,...everything dictates how well you pedal the 996 GT3 around the turns. I wish every car enthusiast and racer I know could experience a well sorted 996 GT3 near the limit.

Cheers!

Last edited by inverterman; 02-02-2021 at 01:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by inverterman:
4porsh (02-02-2021), André 3.0 (02-02-2021), dukmon (01-15-2022)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:45 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreath
I got out for an hour or so of playing with the new toy. Good news and good news -

First, no "Drive to Workshop" messages on the dash today.

Second, The transmission shifts a lot faster and smoother once things come up to operating temperatures. The shifts are fairly notch-ie for the first 10-ish minutes.

I got out for a good mix of winding mountain road and highway driving. Both were awesome. The car feels like it has far more than 380hp. It just keeps building and building... and building some more. I still stand by saying it could have a better exhaust... but today I had a better appreciation for it than I did last night.

Phenomenal car.
When was the last time the transaxle fluid was changed?
Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 AM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
When was the last time the transaxle fluid was changed?
About 3 years and 4k miles ago according to the records I inherited.

M.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:36 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

Mine is "sluggish" for first ten min. or so as well. Normal, and also depends on type of fluid. Sounds like you are all good! And I concur on feeling like more than 380 hp! Just wait until you get it on the track. Not many places on the road you can hit redlines in first, second, third, fourth in quick succession!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:12 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Yeah. It's very clear to me that I need to get this thing to a track. Yesterday my son and I rowed through the first 3 gears. I was a little shocked to look down and see the speed as I shifted from third to fourth at redline. The car was pulling so hard my brain took a second to reconcile what I was seeing with what I was feeling through the car. My 9yo son informed me in that moment that where he previously asserted ownership over our '65 hot-rod'd Stingray... he was in error. He's now staked his claim for the GT3.

There's a small part of me that's gonna be sad to see Covid go... :-).

Mike.
paddlefoot64 (02-10-2021)

Quick Reply: First driving impressions