Sponsored by:

First driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreath
John - Just read your latest thread. Great read.

No roll bar in my car. I'm just a big boy - 6'2" and 220lbs.

I'll check out the Tubi exhaust. The issue I have is that I live in CA. My choices for aftermarket exhaust are limited to what's approved by C.A.R.B., or what I can switch in and out quickly when I have my bi-annual smog test and inspection.

M.
I don't want to self promote here but with the rear wheels off you can change the exhaust in a couple hours - especially after the first time and you don't have any frozen bolts or clamps to deal with. I use my jack stands (just on the back of the car) which gives about 21" of clearance under the rear bumper. It's a good height to reach all the bits. You can change the exhaust from the cats back and have a significant impact on the sound but not touch the O2 sensors. One last note - My Tubi exhaust was gutted so it's more an expansion chamber now - but a nice blend of mellow at cruise that barks a bit under heavy pedal with muted pops when you come off the gas. Added back a touch of back pressure which seems to help the low end torque compared to when I was running straight out through the cats with no muffler at all (though that might be my imagination). It works with the factory GT3 tips so appearance is stock if that matters.
The following users liked this post:
gonzobreath (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:59 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks John! That sounds like the perfect setup.

I have a full garage-shop and a lift. I was hoping to hear what you articulated. If it's that easy, this is a no-brainer. Do you have a link / model number for the Tubi setup you're running?

Mike.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:32 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

Hi Mike - Here's a link to the exhaust I have but not the source. I bought mine from a Rennlister in MO. Many places don't list it for a GT3 but it fit without issues. Some places list a "normal" and a "loud" version. I'd probably go loud as mine is gutted and not too loud. Hope your lift is a 2 post. I have a 4 post lift at home and use the jack stands instead. I find I'm always working around the lift and oddly at my age I find it easier to work on my back than to look up with my neck when the car is higher on a lift. That said - a 2 post lowered to about arms length would be good. Just one man's opinion. There are similar systems out there so you might want to shop around. The Tubi is pretty but I've found they all tarnish pretty quickly when you get them good and hot so unless you're going to remove and buff . . . There are some video clips of other exhaust but I'd try to find something that gives a sound level at 70-75 mph inside the car. I loved the loud pipe of the muffler delete on a quick run but if you ever plan to spend an hour plus in the car w/o ear plugs or have a conversation you have to know the sound inside at cruising speed. I realized I needed to change the first time I drove 2.5 hours to Road America. The loud was so sweet on the track at 7500 rpm but I opted for something that's easier on my ears going to and from and didn't wake the neighbors for an early cars and coffee. Everyone's taste will differ.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...ra-gt3-TUBX125

Last edited by jpoint; 02-02-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

My car has the Cargraphic Full R exhaust. Combined with my aging ears, I find it wise to wear hearing protection.
At 2000-3000 RPM it is rather loud and bothersome to me. OTOH, my 18 yo daughter and I went on a 5 hour road trip and she had no problem. Youth ...
Old 02-02-2021, 03:21 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreath
About 3 years and 4k miles ago according to the records I inherited.

M.
I would look into changing it for peace of mind...
engerman (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 06:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by HDA
I would look into changing it for peace of mind...
Yes. It's not so much the mileage, as the time. It won't hurt (except your pocket book) and you can be assured you are putting in the right fluid.

M
Old 02-02-2021, 10:02 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Yes. It's not so much the mileage, as the time. It won't hurt (except your pocket book) and you can be assured you are putting in the right fluid.

M
Exactly.

Also, it is very VERY easy to royally F up the transmission by removing the wrong “plug” on the GBox.
if you are planning to do it yourself I recommend to search the forum for DIY posts and double, triple check which plug needs to be removed.

as for driving, an alignment does wonders, a corner balancing does magic.

with mine I just need to THINK about turning and she is already going where I want.
jpoint (02-02-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:59 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats on the 6-3 Mike. Awesome on so many levels. I've had 3 of these, the last being the most fun, balanced, aggressive, and ultimately the quickest. These cars require a fair bit of fettling to extract the most from them. Suspension, exhaust, and set-up. I highly recommend Recaro single bucket seats, in Perlon. What an incredible 'planted to the car experience' they offer. I'm also 6'2, 200 LBS, and I always felt right in the car. I did have a beautiful roll bar that would have impacted a 6'3" frame. These cars require seat time, and experienced aggression. They dance, and communicate, and bark, and, well, make you smile and laugh. I just moved to the Bay Area last month, so getting to know the roads up here. If you want to get together for a gab session about the 6-3, and for a drive too, please let me know. I have many years of experience with these. Love them!!! If you're interested in a set of the seats I mentioned above, let me know. I have a set that I could be persuaded to let go of. They look and feel the business in these cars, and were designed for the 6-3.

Enjoy your machine in great health, and let's get together for a drive some time soon. I'm in the City. Nothing better than being behind the wheel, at speed...

CheeRS,
Chris
Old 02-03-2021, 05:02 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 385 Posts

And to echo HDA's sentiments above...changing the gear oils is super simple (and super simple to pull the wrong plug...put me down as an unlucky member of that club!!!).
Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Car goes in for smog test and inspection tomorrow afternoon. Durametric is on order. I plan to get the car on the lift this weekend to do a thorough inspection (I had a PPI, but never inspected the car in person until it was delivered). I'll start reading about the gear oil change. Thanks for the warnings.

BTW - I have a full shop with 2-post lift, electric engine hoist, and most every tool imaginable. I'm willing to play host to fellow 6-3 DIY-ers if I get to watch and learn. My house is also ~10 mins from Skyline for shake-out drives.

Mike.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:59 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Mike, just responded to your PM

I'm a DIY'er, and will be happy to take you up on your offer. With a lift, working on these cars, and Mezgers is very satisfying. Look forward to meeting you.

Chris
HDA (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Nice setup Mike! Wish I was closer, would definitely show you around a project or two. These cars truly are simple to work on especially with a lift! The only thing is that they are extremely temperamental to alignment settings so worth the money on a car setup guru when you change out suspension parts.

Dropping the engine/transmission is simple and with a lift should be an easy 3 hour process once you have done it a time or two.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:59 AM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
My car has the Cargraphic Full R exhaust. Combined with my aging ears, I find it wise to wear hearing protection.
At 2000-3000 RPM it is rather loud and bothersome to me. OTOH, my 18 yo daughter and I went on a 5 hour road trip and she had no problem. Youth ...
Which version you're running ? Cargraphic is having 3 Versions (noise levels ) in their program.
Thomas
Old 02-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tom03
Which version you're running ? Cargraphic is having 3 Versions (noise levels ) in their program.
Thomas
Medium sound level silencers #CARP96GT3RET. They said they were working on a "special quiet version", probably they have that now.
What I have sounds very good overall, especially at high RPM on track.
It just resonates at certain lower RPM ranges, a bit of an issue when cruising around town. I am sure my ears are more sensitive to certain frequencies than when I was younger.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:24 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Mike, Good luck today at the smog shop. Many folks have issues getting the OBD II reader to see the car is in "ready mode". It may not happen with your's, but in case it does, read this thread. There are several ideas to get the car "ready".

The link is titled "Won't Pass CA Smog" in this 996 GT3 forum. I can't seem to copy it over, so a simple search will work.

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: First driving impressions