Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 03:27 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm using German Motor Works in San Carlos. They assure me they can force the car into ready mode if need be.

Thanks for the info.

Mike.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:33 PM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Medium sound level silencers #CARP96GT3RET. They said they were working on a "special quiet version", probably they have that now.
What I have sounds very good overall, especially at high RPM on track.
It just resonates at certain lower RPM ranges, a bit of an issue when cruising around town. I am sure my ears are more sensitive to certain frequencies than when I was younger.
Thanks for the information. The actual quiet version is having 92db. They also sell the silencers separatly I think. I'm thinking of buying them. The quality is ok, 30hp increase with ECU remap and the only exhaust system which is street legal in Europe with a Tuv certificate for smog testing and noise.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tom03
Thanks for the information. The actual quiet version is having 92db. They also sell the silencers separatly I think. I'm thinking of buying them. The quality is ok, 30hp increase with ECU remap and the only exhaust system which is street legal in Europe with a Tuv certificate for smog testing and noise.
The exhaust on my car was installed together with EVOMSit 93 octane tune by a prior owner. Theoretically should have a bit more power than stock, would be interesting to dyno someday.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:51 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

After driving the car these last few days, I have a couple more impressions -

DANG THIS THING IS FUN!

I'm very fortunate to have many car-guy neighbors (Porsches, Paganis, Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, etc...). I've driven some amazing cars. For pure driving excitement... the 6-3 is my hands-down #1 (minus the sound). Nothing delivers on your driving senses like the 6-3. Not to say the others aren't fun... but in a VERY different way.

Things I learned this week...

The car is VERY low. I found this out twice... in two serial events. Getting out of driveways requires some gymnastics if the grade transitions too quickly, or (heaven forbid) there is a higher than normal road crown with a deep gutter (ask me how I know...). The second observation comes when you try to get the car on your lift to inspect the chin spoiler. As near as I can tell, I need special attachments for my lift to raise the 6-3. The car is so low that I can't use any extensions under the frame pads, and without extensions, the lift arms would crush the side spoilers. It appears there are special lift attachments that fit directly into the frame. I have my research assignment for the day.

This car really needs a track to stay outta jail. Rowing through the gears on public roads is ... sketchy. I've had so many shocked moments this week that I decided to test redline speeds. In short, I've looked down a few times and had to do double-takes cuz I'm traveling way faster than my visual and butt sensors were telling me. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at redline is just shy of 90mph and 3rd to 4th is right around 125mph. I was not expecting that.

The car demands respect. Not sure I need to explain this one. I'm having tons of fun, but have been taking my time easing towards the limits. Again, it's very clear that the only place to get near the limits is on a track. Pretty sure I'm only driving at 6/10ths of what the car will do (maybe 5/10ths). For now, I'm content to work on my shifting, especially heal-toe shifts. The pedal box is very small for my size-12s. I have a good friend who's a pro racer, and pro racing coach. He's offered to take me to the track for some sessions when I'm ready. I need a little longer...

The car is the sleeper of Porsche GT cars. As near as I can tell, most people see the headlights and assume standard 996. There aren't any gaudy stickers or big badges to give it away. This car rarely gets a second look from anybody... which I kinda like. Only people who know what this is get excited.

Fun fun fun!

Mike.

The following users liked this post:
engerman (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 03:21 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

For those of you with access to a lift... you need these -

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1178596

Mike.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreath
As near as I can tell, I need special attachments for my lift to raise the 6-3.
On the lift I use, the extensions fit under the car ok but it is close. I just use hockey pucks on the pads, a trick I learned from another rennlister.
gonzobreath (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:42 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

This car really needs a track to stay outta jail. Rowing through the gears on public roads is ... sketchy. I've had so many shocked moments this week that I decided to test redline speeds. In short, I've looked down a few times and had to do double-takes cuz I'm traveling way faster than my visual and butt sensors were telling me. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at redline is just shy of 90mph and 3rd to 4th is right around 125mph. I was not expecting that.
Mike.

You will adjust to the speed sensation soon enough.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

For those of you with access to a lift... you need these -

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1178596

Mike.
I have those as well, but my 987 is so low the 2post lift arms simply will not go under the car. I have to jack up the rear to get the chassis high enough for the lift arms. Otherwise the pucks are nice for protecting the car
Old 02-10-2021, 01:26 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Dying to know what rounds out your top 3, especially if a gated 430 is getting kicked to the curb
Old 02-10-2021, 06:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Fun reading your impressions! The homologation thing is so true and it’s what I love about the 996 GT3 (and the 996 cup). The 996 GT3 is the closest thing to the cup car of any generation of GT3. Having owned a weapon of a street car 996 GT3 and moved into a cup, its incredible just how similar the two cars are. Bolt slicks and an aggressive suspension into a street car and you’ve basically got yourself a road legal cup car. As GT3s have become newer they’ve become less and less related to their race car counterparts. It’s a big part of what makes the 996 so special (IMO), aside from the obvious amazing driving characteristics.
4porsh (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:30 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

Now having 2 weeks of experience (NOT AN EXPERT!), I now kind of think of the 6-3 cars as modern '65 Shelby GT350s. The '65 Shelby's were pure and raw cars designed for Sunday track days; but not ideal for meeting most driving needs (i.e. commuting to work). As a result, the subsequent years got softer and heavier until finally you had very fast and comfortable street racers that lost all of their race car characteristics... but sold far better. In Shelby circles, I've heard the '65s referred to as "all-go, no show", and the '66 and laters as "all-show, no go". I don't think this last part will mirror the Shelby history for 6-3 cars, but there's a reason a '65 Shelby GT350 is worth ~$500k, and a '66 is worth ~$180k. '67 and later GT350s are almost footnotes as most buyers opted for the more planted, comfortable, and street-able GT500 cars, even though they are ~1000lbs heavier. Gotta do watcha gotta do to sell cars!

I've not driven a CUP car. Maybe someday!

-Mike
Old 02-10-2021, 12:51 PM
gonzobreath
Rennlist Member

The order of my top-3 drivers changes almost day to day, and is heavily influenced by the one I drove last ;-). But... I can tell you the un-ordered top-2 list is...

2005 Porsche 996 GT3
2014 Lamborghini Gallardo 560-2 "Balboni" (with gated 6-speed)
1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster (490hp / 520ft-lbs with Legend 5-speed; curb weight ~2800lbs)

I own the first and third, and rely on my buddy for hits of the second. It's worth noting that I'm not as big a fan of the non-Balboni Gallardos, and I've spent the last 6 years building my ultimate Corvette Stingray. In other words, the 6-3 is the most understated of the bunch, but definitely included in the visceral sensory assault I get while driving the other two. And since I just got back from driving the GT3 this morning... it's probably in the top slot ;-)

I'm more of an "anything that consumes gasoline" guy than a Porsche specific guy. I know Porsches and Corvettes go together like banjos and string quartets, but here's a pic of my 'other top-3 car'...

Last edited by gonzobreath; 02-10-2021 at 02:53 PM.
dukmon (01-15-2022)
Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 385 Posts

The order of my top-3 drivers changes almost day to day, and is heavily influenced by the one I drove last ;-). But... I can tell you the un-ordered top-2 list is...

2005 Porsche 996 GT3
1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster (490hp / 520ft-lbs with Legend 5-speed; curb weight ~2800lbs)

I own the first and third, and rely on my buddy for hits of the second. It's worth noting that I'm not as big a fan of the non-Balboni Gallardos, and I've spent the last 6 years building my ultimate Corvette Stingray. In other words, the 6-3 is the most understated of the bunch, but definitely included in the visceral sensory assault I get while driving the other two. And since I just got back from driving the GT3 this morning... it's probably in the top slot ;-)

I'm more of an "anything that consumes gasoline" guy than a Porsche specific guy. I know Porsches and Corvettes go together like banjos and string quartets, but here's a pick of my 'other top-3 car'...

Great list...my top three is very similar!!!!!

1) Any gated lp-era gallardo (too bad there are only 48 in North America). I owned a gated 05 for 5 years (with exhaust, rwd conversion, weight reduction, some suspension mods) and that car was sooo much fun to drive but nothing, and I mean nothing compared to my buddy's gated lp-560 (which I stupidly passed on buying at 160k!). That is the best car I have ever driven. Ever. So freaking fast and the transmission and engine and feel is just perfect. If you have neve driven one of these and have the opportunity, put your pre-conceived notions aside and give it a try. They are amazing. Only real downside is that it feels a bit heavy and big and if you are "big boned" the interior is cramped. I think the days of these trading hands under 200k are long gone sadly.
2) 996 gt3 (I have never driven a 7.2rs, but I hear they are pretty freaking awesome...I'm seriously scared to try one for that reason!).
3) Not sure...I was hoping my scud would occupy this spot when I got it (or higher) but the lack of a manual forces it lower on the list. Its super agile and pretty and very quick, and handled better and offered better driving feel and feedback than my first gen gallardo, but feels a touch fragile. And, the f1 transmission (fun and fast as it is), just isn't the same as a true six speed..nothing can replace rowing the gears. Scud is a riot at 8/10th's, but kind of "meh" and "normal" speeds. That is what I like about manuals...they are fun at any speed!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:40 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

All this talk about driving. I'm ready. All great cars, and each with their own personalities. This is what makes our car hobby such a pleasure. Great people, machines, and roads.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:07 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

2005 Porsche 996 GT3

I'm more of an "anything that consumes gasoline" guy than a Porsche specific guy. I know Porsches and Corvettes go together like banjos and string quartets, but here's a pic of my 'other top-3 car'...

Love the stingray! My father purchased a ‘64 convertible (327, 4 speed) 10 years ago (he still has it). We road tripped it back home, I was 23 at the time and naturally I did most of the driving. 8 hours of pure bliss, one of the most memorable driving experiences of my life. I agree, they’re right up there.

Quick Reply: First driving impressions