Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Suspension Overhaul/Engine Pin Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020 | 02:51 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onelove
Used the initial Covid slowdown to do this on my car, was a lot of fun..... ended up doing the axles and TB upgrade at the same time and having the axles overhauled. I'd been stock piling parts for a while but needed the time, car feels night and day better after a 2 page laundry list and fresh alignment. It did take 4-5 separate orders from Suncoast for "while you are in there" o-rings, hoses and seals, but hopefully I'm set for years to come. Enjoy the process!
Where did you have the axles overhauled at??
Old 07-25-2020 | 02:54 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Front axles/hubs/shocks/arms removed and pressed out stub axles on the front. Next up is pressing out old wheel bearings and taking the tie rods out. Also need to study up on reconditioning some of the bolts and nuts so they look nicer and some paint to touch up some of the crossmembers. Happy to hear any input on those things! Also need to find someone that will sell me some front shock mount bearings.........
Old 07-25-2020 | 02:56 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

The following users liked this post:
Norge911 (09-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020 | 06:21 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Drew,

Couple of things: A cheap but good add on for shocks use one per shock at the top of the shock: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ur-shocks.html

I REALLY don't like Redline oil for the tranny

In https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...der-gt3-3.html post # 36 I descri8be 1 way to get access to the outer CV joint to rebuild

WRT fixing the coolant pipes - I pinned mine. drilled, threaded 4mm cap bolts with some red Loctite - never a problem

Good luck Ray
Old 07-27-2020 | 01:36 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Drew,

Couple of things: A cheap but good add on for shocks use one per shock at the top of the shock: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ur-shocks.html

I REALLY don't like Redline oil for the tranny

In https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...der-gt3-3.html post # 36 I descri8be 1 way to get access to the outer CV joint to rebuild

WRT fixing the coolant pipes - I pinned mine. drilled, threaded 4mm cap bolts with some red Loctite - never a problem

Good luck Ray
Thanks Ray! Will look into the needle bearings for reassembly.

On the outer CV joint, I may be pooched. No access to a lathe and no drill press for the "retaining bolts". Unless you think I can use a grinder/dremel I may have to stick with servicing the boots and inner CV until I can afford another 1700 dollars towards the project. Also couldnt find any of the photos that reference the "retaining screws" and how they hold the re-greased outer CV boot.
Old 07-27-2020 | 01:40 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Front bearings have been successfully extricated from their hub homes! Ordered some paint for the braces and under body pieces that need a little touch up (sway bar). I have no idea how Scott got the hubs to shine so well as I spent an hour and made about zero progress cleaning the old road grime off of the hub assembly! Some of you folks are above dedicated to getting these things like new. Envious I do not have the patience.
Old 07-30-2020 | 01:06 AM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

When you repaired your coolant manifolds how did you keep track of the alignment of the fittings?
Old 07-31-2020 | 11:52 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by knorrena
When you repaired your coolant manifolds how did you keep track of the alignment of the fittings?
Will update when I get this far!
Old 07-31-2020 | 11:58 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Thanks to a generous Rennlister, have received a heck of a deal on some Fabspeed headers. Planning to install them, along with my current high-flow fabspeed cat section on the car and the muffler delete pipes to see how the car sounds. Existing mufflers are HEAVY but need to keep them on the shelf for trips to NCM. Parts starting to trickle in, just called Hoerr for replacement control arm bearings and am awaiting Sunset's reply on the front camber plate bearings. Have RSS caster pucks installed in the control arms and tie rods show up tonight.

Not going to lie, getting the old coilover pieces off (rings and sway bar mount) is testing every piece of patience I have. Cant wait to get the Motons fitted up this weekend, may have to get it all together Saturday so I can move on to the back end of the car.

Last edited by Olemiss540; 07-31-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2020 | 12:04 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

New Tranny mount and TSS engine mounts (semi-solids) on the work bench already.

Still need a gameplan on the following:
Rear axles (what to do)
Finding part #'s for replacing the rod ends on the existing aftermarket dogbones (or switching to rubber),
Figure out which hoses I am going to replace while the engine is down (definitely doing waterpump, therm, and expansion tank)
Cheap Nitrogen tank setup for shocks
Hope RTK615+'s come back into stock on tire rack or else put NT01's on the stock wheels for the time being.
May try to find replacement Tarrett drop link ends
Old 08-03-2020 | 11:35 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

PROGRESS! Was able to finish disassembling the front shocks and started mounting parts back ON the car for once. Front control arms and tie rods installed. Ordered a Nitrogen regulator and will run by a welding supply store to get a nitrogen tank and hose so I can get the Motons extended and begin assembling them.

Does anyone have a stock (60mm) lower spring perch/collar I could buy or a link to where I can buy a replacement??? Please help!

One got cutoff the old shock so I need a replacement. Also need to buy two more bump stops, back to google.
Old 08-03-2020 | 04:14 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Drew,

Are the collars you got to big? If so I can save you some money and cut them down for 6o mm

Hirschmann are the best for Rod Ends - Demonspeed carries them.

What is your time frame on the axels?

Feel free to take this offline

Ray

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
PROGRESS! Was able to finish disassembling the front shocks and started mounting parts back ON the car for once. Front control arms and tie rods installed. Ordered a Nitrogen regulator and will run by a welding supply store to get a nitrogen tank and hose so I can get the Motons extended and begin assembling them.

Does anyone have a stock (60mm) lower spring perch/collar I could buy or a link to where I can buy a replacement??? Please help!

One got cutoff the old shock so I need a replacement. Also need to buy two more bump stops, back to google.
Old 08-03-2020 | 04:41 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

PM Sent Ray.
Old 08-03-2020 | 06:46 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by knorrena
i recommend photos and draw a line on the manifold pointing down the axis of the pipe / fitting.
i think there is only 1 that is easy to mess up.
Old 08-03-2020 | 08:26 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I the motor is out this is actually pretty easy. Drill, tap, and insert can all be done without disassembly.

WRT water hoses: just replace all. The car is 15 YO, and having to replace one in any environment other than on an engine stand can be annoying - depending on which hose...

Ray

Quick Reply: GT3 Suspension Overhaul/Engine Pin Build Thread