Sponsored by:

Oil change fill level

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

The jack points are the same on all 996s. The fronts are located inside the frame rail just behind the front wheels. The rears are also inside the frame rail just in front of the rear wheels. They're pretty obvious when you look.

Karl
Old 10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks again, Karl.

When lifting the rear with a jack on the engine, is there an obvious place for the jack pad to go?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

I use a lo profile jack from Ultimate Garage (can't remember the name but it's blue). Pelican sells them now. They're made to fit under low cars and have a long reach. Also Ultimate sells some really nice jack stands with rubber pads that work very well. They are not cheap, but then neither are our cars. Much better than the junk from Target or the car parts places. They have wide circular metal pads that spread out the weight on the garage floor as well. Luckily I have a pit in the garage (learned this was a good solution since I've been playing with Porsches since 1971 and a lot is done from underneath!) so I usually only jack it up when I'm changing wheels or cleaning the wheels and wheel wells...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum 4000 lb Craftsman jack works perfectly on a GT3, is a quality unit and costs $199.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The aluminum 4000 lb Craftsman jack works perfectly on a GT3, is a quality unit and costs $199.
Yes, I bought one last year on sale for $180 and couldn't be happier. However, I think that model is now discontinued and replaced with this one which is an aluminum/steel version. I think it's practically the same except for the heavier weight and lower price.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I stand corrected. Looks like the all-aluminum jack is still available at Sears. It just didn't appear on the main floor jack page when I first looked.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Thanks again, Karl.

When lifting the rear with a jack on the engine, is there an obvious place for the jack pad to go?
Yes, you place the jack pad (I use a rubber one for this task) under the exact center of the block, where the two halves are bolted together. If you look, you'll see the case begins at an angle and then flattens out parallel to the ground. This place where it flattens out has a thick metal where the two halves come together. Get the jack pad under this and you'll have a safe place to jack.

Be careful if jacking the rear with the front wheels on the ground that you don't tilt the nose of the car into the pavement and crack the front splitter lip. The rear doesn't have to go that high when the front wheels are on the ground to hit the splitter.

Karl
Old 10-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl S
Be careful if jacking the rear with the front wheels on the ground that you don't tilt the nose of the car into the pavement and crack the front splitter lip. The rear doesn't have to go that high when the front wheels are on the ground to hit the splitter.
This is an excellent point. I plan to follow rockitman's procedure so that the rear will come up only after the front is on jack stands. I guess there is a risk that until the rear is safely on jack stands too that the car could roll off to the front, and that would be very bad, but I expect that the front stands will not be so high as to make that a substantial risk. I'll have to be careful.

Thanks again for the help. I think I have a clear idea how to do this now. All I need is the car and enough miles to need to change the oil!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I use a lo profile jack from Ultimate Garage (can't remember the name but it's blue). Pelican sells them now. They're made to fit under low cars and have a long reach. ..
The name is.....AC Hydraulic. Lowest jack pad saddle of all brands, even the Griot's/Sears/Harbor Freight aluminum jack.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Porsche makes a bolt-on jack point for the GT2, which also works for the GT3 and Cup.
It is cheap ($25), and bolts to the front bottom of the engine....this is the only rec. jack point on the engine. Do not lift/support the rear of the car by any of the cross-member susp. pieces.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:50 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I plan to follow rockitman's procedure so that the rear will come up only after the front is on jack stands.
Thanks, but "mds" Mike should get the credit. He was kind enough to respond to my jacking question last Fall.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koepke
Porsche makes a bolt-on jack point for the GT2, which also works for the GT3 and Cup.
Any idea where I can find a part number for this item? Have you used it? It sounds just like what I should have.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plima
Wrt changing GT3 oil, I do mine without lifting the car at all. If you shop around you can find a collection pan that will hold 10+ quarts and easily fit uinder the case. I open that drain plug first, let it drain for several minutes, put another pan under that drain, empty the big pan, and move it under the oil tank, etc. Since I don't raise the car, it is level, and the whole job is complete in an hour.
FYI the factory recommends allowing the oil to drain for at least 20 minutes before replacing the drain plugs.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:47 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris, I have one on my '01 Cup car, and just ordered one for my GT3.
easy to install, and use. part # 996 101 206 70, plus a bolt and nut. try TRG, or,
call Dave Bottom at Arlan Mtrspts 805 541 9777.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, koepke! That sounds like a useful early purchase.

Quick Reply: Oil change fill level