Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS, Tranny Mounts & 4.0 Clutch Kit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:34 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RMS, Tranny Mounts & 4.0 Clutch Kit.

I sent off my tranny to Copans for a much needed rebuild (I got 50k miles out of his previous cup trans build) and while I'm in there, I will be replacing the RMS, tranny mounts and clutch/flywheel.
I don't drive it on the road very often so I don't mind a more solid or semi solid mount, I replaced the motor mounts recently.
What updated tranny mounts are folks running these days?
I have read about different RMS's (The squeaky 997 turbo units or updated 997 GT3 RMS) What's my best bet to make sure it stays dry and doesn't squeak?
Finally, I am leaning towards the 4.0 Clutch and lightweight flywheel kit. Do I need anything else to make it work on the 996? Any other clutch/lwfw options I should be looking at?
The car has a lwfw and ugraded clutch but at 50k miles on those items, I think I should replace to be on the safe side. Anything else to do while I'm in there?
Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:58 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 624 Posts

The 4.0 clutch/LWFW requires the lighter RS crank pulley to go with it on the other end of the crankshaft.

I would do everything in there while it's apart.

Sorry no knowledge to share on the RMS, interested in responses.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:35 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

My car had a cracked tranny mount when I got it 2 yrs ago. The shop that did the engine-out work, Dougherty Automotive, replaced them with Cantrell 60A durometer mounts https://cantrellmotorsport.com/transmission-mounts/
That's not a recommendation on my part, just what Dougherty used. I remember Bill Dougherty saying that if the car was going to see street time, the 60A were a better choice.
In hindsight I should have probably used the 85A versions since my car will probably also see less street time.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:32 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
My car had a cracked tranny mount when I got it 2 yrs ago. The shop that did the engine-out work, Dougherty Automotive, replaced them with Cantrell 60A durometer mounts https://cantrellmotorsport.com/transmission-mounts/
That's not a recommendation on my part, just what Dougherty used. I remember Bill Dougherty saying that if the car was going to see street time, the 60A were a better choice.
In hindsight I should have probably used the 85A versions since my car will probably also see less street time.
Worth noting that the original 6-GT3/Turbo mount was superceeded by Porsche with the beefier 997 version. I have a 997 mount with the poly inserts in it.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
The 4.0 clutch/LWFW requires the lighter RS crank pulley to go with it on the other end of the crankshaft.

I would do everything in there while it's apart.

Sorry no knowledge to share on the RMS, interested in responses.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the Evoms crank pulley on the car already. Would I need to replace it with the RS?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:29 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Excellent. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
Thanks for the heads up. I have the Evoms crank pulley on the car already. Would I need to replace it with the RS?
Not sure. Personally I would b/c they are weighted to function together by Porsche. I would also replaced the crank seal under the pulley while you have it off. Mine started leaking last year and It's a PITA job for a $20 part.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
You should be good, I have same and its very similar to the RS unit (although I am swapping to the dampened unit next engine out).

I went with the 75A mount inserts from Torque Solutions and have no complains. It's a little loud, a little rattly but for how often you or I drive the car its tolerable.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 02-26-2020, 03:59 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

I’m also interested in the latest and greatest rms suggestion for our cars. Is the crank seal a straightforward r&r when the pulley is off, or are special tools and an expert’s touch required like with the rms?
Old 02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I’m also interested in the latest and greatest rms suggestion for our cars. Is the crank seal a straightforward r&r when the pulley is off, or are special tools and an expert’s touch required like with the rms?
See my post #34 about the crank seal replacement in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post15243475

Old 02-27-2020, 06:22 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

I had the function first mount in my road car, nothing to fault with it.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I use solid engine mounts and a 996Cup clutch. For track work, this clutch is far superior to the 4.0 clutch I ran prior to it. If it's a street car, I'd stick with the 4.0 clutch as the Cup clutch chatters a bit on engagement and has a narrower engagement point.

Quick Reply: RMS, Tranny Mounts & 4.0 Clutch Kit.