I think I'm done - 04 GT3 F/S

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi Craig,

Happy 2020!

I'm glad you decided to keep the car, they are very special indeed.
I'm interested in how you make out with that X pipe and sport cat combo, so thanks for being the guinea pig. Photos would be greatly appreciated. Just the other day I was looking at Fabspeed's version for our cars but it looked so large. In know they had fitment problems with some other models as their X pipe was way too low, especially on a lowered car.

Thanks!

Al

Old 01-07-2020, 04:46 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds like you're keeping the car. That's good news. Lots of stories of people selling to move to cars with PSM. I guess they need help getting around the track!
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (01-07-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
looks so damn purposeful in white! need one in white.
Looks like you'll have to live with yellow!
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...rsche-911-gt3/

Old 04-13-2020, 08:26 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody know why so "cheap"? I bought its clone/same location at a very different price point. Ouch!!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
Anybody know why so "cheap"? I bought its clone/same location at a very different price point. Ouch!!
Seriously I was thinking the same thing. That car should have sold for a lot more than that. That's the risk with and auction I guess.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Covid-19 special maybe? Sharp looking car and a fantastic price.
Nickshu (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 PM
Typerbob
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
It being a Canadian car accounts in part for the price.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

An incredible deal for upper 50s IMO.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:25 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The car I bought was in Vancouver too. It was a US car originally but not sure why it should make much of a difference. I did have to pay import taxes, that part sucked.
Honestly a car of that condition/mileage typically is $10-12K more.
Great buy for sure!!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Looks like you'll have to live with yellow!
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...rsche-911-gt3/
Craig's car is beautiful, and extremely well set up. I hope for his sake, he keeps it for another 20 years....That will make him about 60...then trade for a PDK car.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:17 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Craig's car is beautiful, and extremely well set up. I hope for his sake, he keeps it for another 20 years....That will make him about 60...then trade for a PDK car.
PDK and PSM - let the car do the driving for you! No skill needed!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:42 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default No skill?

It's 5:00 AM, there was a Coyote out in the yard, I am up, had to bring the cat in, and with nothing better to do, decided to wax poetic. Confession: I was, and untill very recently, I WAS a purist. I could never see myself with anything other than a manual transmission, LWF, etc. While at the track, I started noticing the Factory Cup Cars were sequential, these drivers weren't rowing the gears, hmmmm. That set the stage. Maybe I should look at a Porsche car with PDK? The best-equipped car and the most bang for the buck was a 2015/16 Cayman GTS, next in line, a GT4, but I would need $25,000 incremental to make that purchase.

So it is very true, no more upshifting, no more downshifting, no more potential for the old 5th to 2nd "money shot" downshift. Point and shoot describe the experience....Instead of the aforementioned tasks, all I need now is a set of brass cajones. The PDK in Sport + mode, PSM, PTV, sport suspension, sport exhaust, third radiator, engine and transmission coolers, and optional big brakes off a 991 S.....this little demon just plain hauls the mail. My best time at Laguna Seca in my 2004 GT3 was a 1:44.6....with minimal experience in my "Nanny Express", I can get that time....and am expecting to do a lot better next time out with coaching I have received from Dave Scott. He thinks I can get a 1:39, my new goal...why not shoot for the moon!

In the GT3 could hit 120 over Turn 1, do the same with the 2015 Catman GTS, and expect to do better. The other thing is the overall fun factor, off the track. I have no hesitation to take the wife out for a cruise in the GTS; she would never set foot in the GT3....yesterday we just did 1 1/2 hours around the backroads of Paso Robles, out to Lake Nascimento, Lake San Antonio and back over to 101. Her only complait, no sunroof. I volunteered to sell the Cayman GTS and get a late model 911 with a sunroof....she didn't go for that.

For
Attached Files
Old 04-14-2020, 10:08 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

It's 5:00 AM, there was a Coyote out in the yard, I am up, had to bring the cat in, and with nothing better to do, decided to wax poetic. Confession: I was, and untill very recently, I WAS a purist. I could never see myself with anything other than a manual transmission, LWF, etc. While at the track, I started noticing the Factory Cup Cars were sequential, these drivers weren't rowing the gears, hmmmm. That set the stage. Maybe I should look at a Porsche car with PDK? The best-equipped car and the most bang for the buck was a 2015/16 Cayman GTS, next in line, a GT4, but I would need $25,000 incremental to make that purchase.

So it is very true, no more upshifting, no more downshifting, no more potential for the old 5th to 2nd "money shot" downshift. Point and shoot describe the experience....Instead of the aforementioned tasks, all I need now is a set of brass cajones. The PDK in Sport + mode, PSM, PTV, sport suspension, sport exhaust, third radiator, engine and transmission coolers, and optional big brakes off a 991 S.....this little demon just plain hauls the mail. My best time at Laguna Seca in my 2004 GT3 was a 1:44.6....with minimal experience in my "Nanny Express", I can get that time....and am expecting to do a lot better next time out with coaching I have received from Dave Scott. He thinks I can get a 1:39, my new goal...why not shoot for the moon!

In the GT3 could hit 120 over Turn 1, do the same with the 2015 Catman GTS, and expect to do better. The other thing is the overall fun factor, off the track. I have no hesitation to take the wife out for a cruise in the GTS; she would never set foot in the GT3....yesterday we just did 1 1/2 hours around the backroads of Paso Robles, out to Lake Nascimento, Lake San Antonio and back over to 101. Her only complait, no sunroof. I volunteered to sell the Cayman GTS and get a late model 911 with a sunroof....she didn't go for that.

For
Wow. I laughed at "nanny express". But faster is faster LOL.
Martin S. (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

For
For me the steel cahones is where I am decidedly lacking, which may be why I prefer a more visceral experience where limits are a bit lower and focus is more on execution instead of absolute speed/times. I just cant believe the speed and limits being pushed by folks in street cars at a DE in brand new GT3RSs. I am sure in the drivers seat it feel much more in control, but the speeds they are routinely hitting would have me filling my pants every lap hoping I dont hit a fluid patch without a full cage/fire suppression/etc.

Buy lower lap times or earn them, fun either way but one may be a bit of a never ending rabbit hole filled with constant car envy (in my case atleast). I prefer to drive my slow car in intermediate toying with like speed cars than pointing by rocket ships 3 times a lap. My brother just bought a BRAND NEW grand sport for $50k for value proposition for absolute speed/laptimes and WOW.....
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Im sure at some point i will move onto a car with all sorts of "helpers" to get me thru a lap on track. Likely after retirement age - when my skills have slowed a little. Until then - I'll enjoy the challenge of a raw machine. But I understand how people who are much older make those choices...
Nickshu (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: I think I'm done - 04 GT3 F/S