Old 10-30-2019 | 03:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KOAN
Might get a better price in the Spring. GLWS
Agreed, see below

Originally Posted by mooty
car looks nice
you know you can drive it on street and look cool drinking latte too.
at Peets we can discuss how fast we WERE
Chai tea lattes for me.
I agree, car won't be listed anywhere but on this forum until next April or so, then probably to BaT if I still have it.
I was mostly happy with the BaT experience when I sold the 360.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2019 | 12:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Well, I recently spent about 8 - 10 hours cleaning / prepping / polishing / waxing the car, and have to agree with owner #3.
The car is way too nice to pass onto someone else right now, whether I track it or not.
It looks spectacular and I'll just embrace what I currently have for now.

So in the market for a bit louder exhaust that will still pass california emissions.

Originally Posted by cgfen

Four owners;

· 1st was a Porsche line mechanic, he over-maintained it on the company dime, including having new Rotors and Pads installed @ 26,000 miles just because he could.

· 2nd = Me

· 3rd = A fastidious rennlister who was going to track it, decided it was too nice and turned it into a garage queen.

· 4th = Me

Cheers

Craig

craigfen
gmail
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019 | 10:50 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

It looks spectacular and I'll just embrace what I currently have for now.
I'm not sure what it is about the 996 GT3's but they really look sharp IMO.
Old 12-03-2019 | 12:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default cgfen's ride, my ride...

cgfen has one very clean and spiffy Speed Yellow 2004 GT3...I have seen it upfront and personal. He has seen my spiffy 2004 Carrara White GT3. These are two of the nicest, best maintained GT3 cars out there. Mine has 15,XXX miles and the four options:
  1. Cruise control
  2. Airconditioning
  3. LiTronic Lights
  4. PCCB Brakes

Old 12-04-2019 | 12:37 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

"These are two of the nicest, best maintained GT3 cars out there". Martin, are you throwing down a gauntlet? I'm kind of fond of mine too! All 6GT3s are Superior Real Porsche Drivers' Cars, and all are worth holding onto. New car manufacturers are not going to build sports cars like the 6GT3 in the future. Hot Rod indeed.

Last edited by KenW; 12-04-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2019 | 02:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenW
"These are two*** of the nicest, best maintained GT3 cars out there". Martin, are you throwing down a gauntlet? I'm kind of fond of mine too! All 6GT3s are Superior Real Porsche Drivers' Cars, and all are worth holding onto. New car manufacturers are not going to build sports cars like the 6GT3 in the future. Hot Rod indeed.
Now we know there are three (3), probably a lot more. These cars are so special......the post 6GT3 Mk 2 cars have gone "Nanny" with PDK, Sports Chrono, Torque Vectoring, big wings, sunroof, big stereo.... The one thing that is a certainty about the MK 1 and Mk 2 GT3 cars, you drive them, they don't drive you. No big aero to cover up your mistakes or lack of driving talent. They do come with some incredible brakes, especially the PCCB brakes, 350mm rotors all around.
Old 12-05-2019 | 02:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Now we know there are three (3), probably a lot more. These cars are so special......the post 6GT3 Mk 2 cars have gone "Nanny" with PDK, Sports Chrono, Torque Vectoring, big wings, sunroof, big stereo.... The one thing that is a certainty about the MK 1 and Mk 2 GT3 cars, you drive them, they don't drive you. No big aero to cover up your mistakes or lack of driving talent. They do come with some incredible brakes, especially the PCCB brakes, 350mm rotors all around.
seeing is believing

cavlino (12-07-2019)
Old 12-05-2019 | 06:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I believe, I believe

Great shots in the incredible San Diego weather.
TopPorscheFan (01-04-2020)
Old 12-09-2019 | 11:55 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

I like that approach: if thinking about selling, get a louder exhaust.

i wonder where the market is going, some great cars available in the low 60s. 997 gt3s also not moving.

congrats on the decision, yellow is the best color in my opinion on a 6gt3
Old 12-09-2019 | 12:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default 6 GT3 and the Market

"I like that approach: if thinking about selling, get a louder exhaust. With a louder exhaust:"
  • A louder (Quality) exhaust on a 6 GT3 is a very expensive proposition, maybe $5,000, or more,
  • If one likes to run Laguna Seca track, some say the best track in the West, a loud exhaust means you can't make the 92 bB sound limit.
"I wonder where the market is going, some great cars available in the low 60s. 997 gt3s also not moving."
I know that Craig and I agree that the 6GT3 and the 997 GT3 are different beasts. The 6GT3 is raw, very analog, with only 4 options available, and is thought to be desirable to those that appreciate such. In addition, the 6GT3 was brought to the North American market in limited numbers, so hopefully, the "market" appreciates that exclusivity.

I think if I were selling a limited edition car, I might just wait until the spring. Generally, winter is a slower time for car sales....we have all the auctions in January to get prospective buyer's juices flowing.

Old 12-09-2019 | 01:26 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

seeing is believing

looks so damn purposeful in white! need one in white.
Old 12-09-2019 | 02:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Need one in white?

Contact Brent Smith at Smith Volvo inSan Luis Obispo, CA 1.805.459.4174 He may very we’ll be able to fulfill your dreams with a 2004 Carrara white GT3 with 16,XXX miles, tell him Martin referred you
MonsterMLT (11-30-2020)
Old 12-09-2019 | 09:26 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"I like that approach: if thinking about selling, get a louder exhaust. With a louder exhaust:"
  • A louder (Quality) exhaust on a 6 GT3 is a very expensive proposition, maybe $5,000, or more,
  • If one likes to run Laguna Seca track, some say the best track in the West, a loud exhaust means you can't make the 92 bB sound limit.
"I wonder where the market is going, some great cars available in the low 60s. 997 gt3s also not moving."
I know that Craig and I agree that the 6GT3 and the 997 GT3 are different beasts. The 6GT3 is raw, very analog, with only 4 options available, and is thought to be desirable to those that appreciate such. In addition, the 6GT3 was brought to the North American market in limited numbers, so hopefully, the "market" appreciates that exclusivity.

I think if I were selling a limited edition car, I might just wait until the spring. Generally, winter is a slower time for car sales....we have all the auctions in January to get prospective buyer's juices flowing.
I wonder what to make of my test drive impressions.
I got to try a 6GT3 and felt it up my spinal cord. Visceral, connected. Then I tried a 7.2GT3 and felt it...meh, liked my 996TT better.

is the truth in between -> 7.1GT3?
Old 12-09-2019 | 10:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I wonder what to make of my test drive impressions.
I got to try a 6GT3 and felt it up my spinal cord. Visceral, connected. Then I tried a 7.2GT3 and felt it...meh, liked my 996TT better.

is the truth in between -> 7.1GT3?
Maybe, check it out and see.
I like the looks of the 7.1 better than the 6 GT3 (most days), but I hate the first gen PASM and artificial "sport exhaust".
Well................... hate it too strong a word.
If i could trade my car + reasonable money for a silver / orange .1 RS, I would, but not just for a .1 GT3.

have fun trying it out!
Old 01-03-2020 | 01:15 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I like that approach: if thinking about selling, get a louder exhaust.

i wonder where the market is going, some great cars available in the low 60s. 997 gt3s also not moving.

congrats on the decision, yellow is the best color in my opinion on a 6gt3
I decided to buy a catted X pipe from John @ Speedtech. I wanted to buy from US and him being a "small business" seemed like a good fit.
Should be installed by mid-Jan.

In the meantime I was inspired by another thread and added a door / rocker decal last week.

I ended up with silver.
I wanted something a bit understated.
Not many colors go with yellow other than the ubiquitous black, which would then mean black wheels, which I'm not a fan of.
So silver / argent it is to match the wheels, both these 997 wheels and the stock GT3 wheels.

Never installed decals before, so there was a bit of a learning curve, not eased by the fact that the door decal came in two pieces split at the B pillar seam.
I practiced on the passenger side and was happy with the driver's side.
I also was unable to find a decal set that more closely approximated the factory decals where they wrap around the front and rear bumper covers.

I like it, but i suspect the decals are temporary.

I bought from wrappshop.eu
~ $65.00

Cheers

Quick Reply: I think I'm done - 04 GT3 F/S