Sponsored by:

MetalSolid-Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question MetalSolid-Tire Question

I don't know what's the deal with the PS2's seemingly unavailable/backordered constantly. I don't want to be caught without spares now that driving season is approaching up here. I remember sometime back that you bought a set of Yokohama AVS Sport's...What's your report on them??? How are they on both street and track??? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:41 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After about 2000 miles I still love the Yokohama AVS Sport tire, the much stiffer sidewall is the single most important attribute, which imparts more confidence to the driver thru superior control over lateral, vertical and roll motions of the GT3; greatly reduced is the incessant bounding motions and inconsistent steering (frontend grip).

The Yoks worked really well at the track this weekend, they're very progressive at the limit and have excellent turn-in without even a hint of understeer. Andrew (Macfly) was also at the track and he was on MPS2s, you can read his thread, he complains about the car having an unsettled feeling. While driving behind him and with him in his car I could also notice what he was referring to. I had no such problems, and Andrew commented on how stable my car looked from his car. Even though the Yoks have slightly less grip than the MPS2, I was able to lap the track faster than Andrew, which I attribute to the Yoks being stiffer. It was the second time for me at that track, which I also believe is the same for Andrew; though he has more overall track experience than me, I have more GT3 hours under my belt.

I will never go back to the MPS2s. IHO.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I know the question wasn't asked of me, but this may be a helpful insight.

Yesterday at the track I was following (after being passed by) Metal's car on the Yokohamas. It looked stable where mine felt wobbly, and when I was talking to my mechanic about the weekend I mentioned the AVS tires, and right off the bat he said "That's a second a lap right there."

I wasn't aware of this, but the grip and stability of the AVS is well known to many of the POC club racers. I then asked my mechanic what the best tires for my car are, and again he said AVS are the best road tire for our car. New news to me!!

Any other tire thoughts and opinions??
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

That's good news!!! By the looks of the tread pattern, they seem to look like they will channel water away better than the PS2's...I know it does'nt rain much in SoCal, but have you had them in the rain??? Any hydroplaning???
Old 02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My tires will be for sale as soon as I get my car.

The M3 CSL comes with Michelin Pilot Sports Cups R-compound as its street tires.

I use the Michelin Sport Cups as regular tires in my Boxster S. I'm on my second set now.

Warning: They have good grip on wet payment, but they are not good on standing water. I've driven them on heavy rain, I just drive slower than usual.

BTW, they dropped my times at Pocono North from 66 sec on PZero to 63 sec.

My Hoosiers A3S03 are exclusive to auto-x, and my Dunlop Winter Sport M2 for these cold days.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Yoko Ono's just order!!!
$930 delivered!!! I sure hate to remove my PS2's from the OEM wheels...hmmm, perhaps I need another set for the Yoko's!!! Let's see, how about some anodized Kinesis!!! Sure would look good

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never driven on the Yoks in rain, but I hear they're better than the MPS2s in this area.

So you're gonna keep the Yoks around in case you damage a MPS2? If you're gonna get a second set of wheels, I'd wrap 'em in MPSCs for track duty.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MetalSolid
I've never driven on the Yoks in rain, but I hear they're better than the MPS2s in this area.

So you're gonna keep the Yoks around in case you damage a MPS2? If you're gonna get a second set of wheels, I'd wrap 'em in MPSCs for track duty.
No, I think I will retire the PS2's w/ oem wheels and they can hang around for spare and or track use. If I get those Kinesis to put my yoko's on, I will use them as my daily driver's. By the sounds of it, I think I will like the yoko's better. The write up on the tire indicated that the tread pattern was designed after their racing rain tire...so they should be great in the wet, which we do get alot of in the Spring and Summer. Thanks again for your informative review and recommendation....
Old 02-09-2004, 11:58 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm rethinking my prior position on the yokos btw - a friend ran them on the track last weekend and they seemed to be at least as fast as the Mich PS2s. He only ran a few laps so no idea about how long they last and I don't have a direct comparison but I at least know they didn't totally suck. I still say that the PS2s are the best feeling street tire I've ever driven once you learn the feel - they are a little soft but very drivable and stick great. I might consider trying the Yoks after I wear out my PS2s depending on pricing and availability at that time.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:26 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rockit:

PSC will run circles around PS2 a AVS Sports. Same deal with the Corsas. They are DOT approved tires.

You are killing me, those light weight wheels are AMAZING!!!

They will look great on a Seal Grey car.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:52 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mac and Metal, were you guys checking tire pressures before and after your runs? If so what were the numbers like?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

F/R 31/37 cold 34/41 hot
Old 02-10-2004, 03:11 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, those Yokos stay in range, my MPS temps were;
cold 32 F 34 R
hot 40 F 42 R
Old 02-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by rockitman
Yoko Ono's just order!!!
$930 delivered!!! I sure hate to remove my PS2's from the OEM wheels...hmmm, perhaps I need another set for the Yoko's!!! Let's see, how about some anodized Kinesis!!! Sure would look good
Hey Chris,
K28's now your talking... not the easiest to clean but I love that design. On my 99 C2, they were lighter than my Technology Hollowspoke rims of the same size, so they will surely be lighter than the OEM GT3 wheels. I may have to swap to some Kinesis wheels myself one of these days

High resolution version...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by macfly
Wow, those Yokos stay in range, my MPS temps were;
cold 32 F 34 R
hot 40 F 42 R
could explain some of the squirrely behavior you described earlier. You'll get a lot of opinions on this but I've had better luck with these tires at lower hot pressures. Seem to work best for me around 34-36 hot in front and 40 hot in rear.

Quick Reply: MetalSolid-Tire Question