Sponsored by:

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!!!

Before it was just flirtation, infatuation, but now it's love!!!
If you haven't taken your GT3 to the track you are missing out big time, DO IT!!!
Here are more 'proud dad' snaps of my baby at Strret's of Willow today.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that slate grey?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:08 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Beautiful! That must be the new Atlas Grey Metalic, right??
Old 02-01-2004, 03:39 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Slate Grey it is, strangely it seems to pick up on any greens that are around it in pictures, but to the eye it looks a very neural deep metalic grey.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:03 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Hi Kim, POC it was, and indeed theres some crazy looking cars out there, the likes of which I've never seen!

Stepping from the relative visual calm of BMW world into Pcar world is wild for the eyes, it's certainly a group who like very wide wheels and very big wings!! My car loooks very pedestrian in the paddock, but all the instructors are are loving it!!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Macfly,

It seems like you are over your phobias! What was your pulse rate?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:26 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Talking POC weekend

What was your pulse rate?
Colm, pulse stayed pretty low! The POC DE does a very good job of setting you up to understand the nature of the car, the skid pad set me up well to understand the way the car moves under different weight loadings, so I got to do my first proper 'Pcar spin'. The back end really does become a pendulum, and the skid pad sets you up to understand the nature of the car very well.
I was able to drive it to the point where it let go. At that point my feeling is that my old M3smg is a much more forgiving platform. Against that though the M3's incredible balance and drivability make it a more clinical and uninvolving experience, while every moment with the GT3 seems somehow so much more vital and exciting.
It is hard to put it into words exactly, but the M3 was way easy to drive very quickly, while the GT3 requires you to learn a new language, and have that language imprinted into your instincs and reflexes.
It is going to be a long and lasting relationship, and after one weekend I fully understand why so many drivers love thier Porsches so much. It is all about involvement, and the payback of that involvement. When things are too easy they bacome rather bland, and odd though it may sound that is how I felt about the excellent M3 after a year of tracking it.

and this was in the parking lot not the corral or in the show
SB, I was at Monterey last year and felt just the same, my pride and joy Z8 shrivelled into insignificance compared to all the stunning machines that were up there. I really enjoyed the whole experience though, a week of stunning cars, and great driving, it was heaven!! Here are a few of my favorite snaps......
(more are at http://macfly.com/html/hist01.php click on the picture to go to the next one)
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2004, 12:24 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

macfly - stunning site you have there.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Plllllleeeeeaaaaasssssseee stop with all these GT 3 pictures and stories. I am an impulse buyer with no self control and find myself wanting one real bad. Please don't make me buy one of these things!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:43 AM
3.8 964
Advanced

Macfly - great photos especially the first one.

Life is good eh!

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

macfly,

Welcome to the Darkside. You DO realise it is a perilous path you have now embarked upon. This quick fix will soon subside, leaving you somehow empty, incomplete. The only cure is a return to the track, this time for a bigger, more intense hit. Now your doom is sealed. At first, you will tell friends that you can handle it, you're in control, but your in deep now, you can't turn back.
The symptoms get worse, you start picturing a lap in your head, your hands steer at an invisible wheel, you hum the sound of the revs rising, imagine the flurry of feet as you heel and toe in perfect time. But you can handle it, cant you. CAN'T YOU? Just one more lap, one last try at that corner, always looking for the ultimate line, the poetry in motion. Your family become strangers to you, as you sink deeper and deeper into the abyss. The person you once were is gone, perhaps never was.
I know this because i too have trodden the path you now face, looked my nemesis in the eye, and i too found i had neither the courage or conviction to turn my back, walk away, admit my weakness.
And so, you wonder where this path will take you, but i dont have that answer, only you do. But i can offer some words of advice....

1. Slow in, fast out is always the quickest!
2. Look where your going, not what's in front
3. Something this good CANT be bad !!!!!!

STEVE B (OoooHHH he just keeps braking later and later)
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Talking That slippery slope!

Your family become strangers to you, as you sink deeper and deeper into the abyss. The person you once were is gone, perhaps never was.
Steve, would you believe my Dad and my brother were both racers, I was always the slow and cautious one, the one who said 'That will never happen to me!'
I guess blood is thicker that water, and blood mixed with motor oil is thicker still. Isn't it amazing how as we get older we find ourselves becoming the very thing said we'd never be....Hi Dad!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

macfly, nice GT3...Slate Gray looks good!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

LOVE the color of your GT3. Beautiful.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:09 AM
stuka
Pro

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I am a hopeless track addict as well.

But coming from the BMWCCA schools where we hold DE's at Sears Point (personal favorite), Button Willow, Thunder Hill, Laguna Seca, Vegas (both big and small track), CA Speedway (comp config, not oval), and Willow Springs, I have to say that Willow Springs is quite underwhelming to me.

Is there a reason why most DE events for Porsche are held at Willow Springs and not say, Sears Point, or Button Willow, or heck, even Thunder Hill?

Quick Reply: Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!!!