Sponsored by:

Willow Springs with the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Willow Springs with the GT3

Why take a 11,000 mile GT3 to the track...am I crazy? Maybe, but I really wanted to experience that 6,000 RPM to 8,000 RPM induction grown in 4th and 5th gear, just not possible to safely do this on the street. Yes as we know, you can rev that motor to 8,200 RPM, but I was shifting a little lower down the RPM range, about 7,700 to 7,800. After this weekends experience I have to agree with the prevailing wisdom, the 6GT3 is the last of the Porsche street/track drivers cars. It does everything so incredibly well....But there is a learning curve for most. 380 HP in a 3,050 car is not for the faint of heart.

Getting ready for Willow, I had a long list of things to get done.
1. Drop the motor and weld the cooling pipes,
2. Replace the PCCB brakes with iron rotors, went GIRO 2 piece on the front, Serbo slotted on the rear.
3. Select the best possible roll bar (NOT a harness bar like we see on the Tequipment, BBI, GMG, DASsport, etc.) These harness bars attach the front hood to the seat belt attachment on the B pillar. Both the RSS 931 bar and the Cantrell bar attach the front hoop to the chassis just aft of the B pillar. In my opinion, this is the place to attach the front hoop, and yes, you do have to drill 6 holes in the process. The RSS 931 and the Cantrell attach the rearward extensions to the shock towers, NOT the rear seat belt receptacles. The RSS 931 bar is as rugged and a "tank", 1 3/4" ChromeMoly tubing, spec'd out to NASA and POC requirements.
4. Get a good seat..selected a Recaro Profi XL....it really is a good fit for me.
5. Install Schroth 5/6 point belts,
6. Add a RSS tow hook,
7. Cover the front areas of the car with XPEL
8. Cover the windshield exteriors with clear tint, a contradiction in terms, I know. But I want to preserve that windshield.
9. All fresh fluids.
10. Secure a sendoff set of wheels and mount up Hoosier R7 tires, 245 front and 295 rear.
11. Bolt up a 2 1/2 Lb. Halon Extinguisher to the RSS 931 bar.

So now off to Willow Springs Raceway with the Porsche owners Club this past weekend. Here is what I experienced.
Driving a GT3, compared to my former 993, a whole new world. I started out in the Blue in the second session, missed the first session taking care of last minute details on the car. Damn there were some fast cars in that pack, and some idiots too, passing under yellow. Lots of full on race cars. I was not comfortable trying to learn to drive there GT3 under these conditions, so I moved down to the Green Group and ran EX.

GT3 at the track, nearly indescribable...my best time in my 993 a few years back was a 1.33.5. Last time I checked for session 2 this past weekend, I was a pathetic 1:38...I may have been quicker in the 3rd session on Sunday, didn't check. (Just checked, 1:38 again, ******* it on Turn 9 and elsewhere)I had the delusion that I could come out in my GT3 and turn a 1:30...wasn't going to happen. I had difficulty with 8, not able to go full throttle at the onset of the turn as was able to in my 993. I got better as the weekend progressed. But mastery is an event or two away.

Turn 9 was tough....since I was going so much faster going in compared to the 993, things were happening so much quicker, I had trouble finding the perfect turn in spot lining up for a late apex on the exit.

Last session of the day Saturday. I was starting to "get the hang of it." still not quick, but I did pass a few cars. I was able to get into 5th gear down the front straight, glanced at the speedo once, 145mph...mother of God that's fast compared to the 993. A racer pal of mine said that if I get a good launch out of 9, I could be at 155 mph before breaking for Turn 1. With this kind of speed, one must have really good tires.

I have always liked Turn 1....with the GT3, loved my cars braking ability, enhanced with Giro 2 piece slotted rotors with Pagid Yellows on front and 997 350mm rotors on the rear, also with Pagid Yellows.

Past 1, going up 2, I was reluctant to put my foot in it, running on some older Hoosier R7 tires. Next time I do Willow, I'll have new tires.

From turn 5 to the entry of 8 I was able to put my foot to the floor, with one notable exception. As I approached 5, in 3rd gear, I had to lift off the throttle a bit, then once over the rise, floor it. What a rush...had to do little lift prior to the entry of 8, but was then able to put my foot to the floor, going past the corner worker tub, at full throttle in 5th gear....then 9 came up, back in 4th gear, with me searching for the perfect turn in spot...never did fine it, but I will.

Overall, awesome learning experience for me.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-12-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome, you'll get the hang of it in no time.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome,

I would recomend a slightly less sticky tire when you change. You are obviously used to the rear engine dynamic so should be easy to transition from 993 to 996gt3.
Just give it time and roll on speed out of corners. I find a well set up 996.3 very forgiving as long as you don’t do stupid stuff. Similar in 993s. You will learn how to modulate the extra hp in notime.
Less sticky tires doesn’t brake away as abruptly as Hoosiers.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Awesome,

I would recomend a slightly less sticky tire when you change......You will learn how to modulate the extra hp in no time. Less sticky tires doesn’t brake away as abruptly as Hoosiers.

I came to the same conclusion...goiung back to Nittos, 33% cheaper and last 2X as long. Now that's a great formula to keep wifey happy. I'll show her how much money I am saving 😁 Thanks
for the pointers.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Car looks great. Should have gotten CW. FYI you are missing the front spoiler lip (sure you know that). You can also run some more angle on rear wing with the 4 or 8 degree adjusters.

Very jealous re track days in February.
Chet
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't had time to go since 2016, but I still remember the goose bumps every time I took T 9.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Great pic. Sounds like you had a good time out there, it only gets better from here. Will never forget my first track day in the 6-3...scared ****less after coming up from a Lotus Exige Cup (scared factor was partly due to a shift in rear toe resulting in questionable handling characteristics). Once you are comfortable, it’s pure bliss. The unfortunate thing is no other car is enjoyable on track after experiencing the 996 GT3 a time it’s limits. Everything else seems mundane.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Great pic. Sounds like you had a good time out there, it only gets better from here. Will never forget my first track day in the 6-3...scared ****less after coming up from a Lotus Exige Cup (scared factor was partly due to a shift in rear toe resulting in questionable handling characteristics). Once you are comfortable, it’s pure bliss. The unfortunate thing is no other car is enjoyable on track after experiencing the 996 GT3 a time it’s limits. Everything else seems mundane.
I was more uncomfortable in the first 2 sessions than scared. After that, I started feeling that I could drive the car, albeit slowly compared to others in my weight to HP class. Wasn't going through 9 fast enough to be scared.....really need to work on this turn, and 8 others😁. I may have mentioned, I did take a peek at the speedo on Sunday, the second day of the event. Was in 5th gear coming down the front straight, looked like 145 mph. And that is with a marginal exit out of 9. With 10 mph quicker out of 9, I am guessing I'd see 150 down the front straight. Just almost too damn fast. Realizing the speeds this car is capable of, I will be very focused on tire management. Looks like I am going back to Nittos...was burning up some Hoosiers from my 993, 295s and 245 R7 tires.

And lastly, I am getting an AiM Data Logger. I really want to see where the seconds are on the table. Initially, they are on most corners. I want to get some coaching too.

Quick Reply: Willow Springs with the GT3