996/997 bolt in half cage question... - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum

996/997 bolt in half cage question...

Reply

Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 AM
  #1  
powdrhound
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
powdrhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,974
Default 996/997 bolt in half cage question...

Is a bolt in rear half cage interchangeable between 996 and 997 GT cars without sunroofs and without subwoofers/speakers? Specifically ones that bolt to the rear shock towers? Looking for something that will mount to the rear shock towers and bolt to the seatbelt mounts behind the rear seats, preferably to weld in plates behind the rear seats. Best I can tell they are interchangeable between 996 and 997 cars but looking to find out with certainly.
powdrhound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 AM
  #2  
oldskews4
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 440
Default

Yes
oldskews4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM
  #3  
993GT
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
993GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: not the GTA, Southern Ontario, CAN.
Posts: 4,881
Default

early delivery(N.A.) 7GT cars still had the front welded in floor plates so a cage from one of the early 7GT cars may not fit, unless plates welded in, other than that believe total interchangeability between 6 and 7 GT
993GT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 PM
  #4  
spiller
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
spiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,060
Default

I have nothing else to add other than I sold a factory 997 GT3 Clubsport cage to a 996C2 owner who successfully installed the cage himself with very little fuss.
spiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 PM
  #5  
Martin S.
Rennlister Extraordinaire
Rennlist Member

 
Martin S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Miguel, CA
Posts: 7,529
Default

Read my post on Roll Bar research....attaching to the rear shock towers is a great idea, should provide an extra bit of chassis stiffening, in addition, attaching to the seat belt anchor is widely used by DASsport, RSS, GMG and a few others.

RSS also makes a bar that in addition to attaching to the rear shock towers, attaches to the chassis. This could be a much stronger area to mount the front half of the roll bar. It's their 931 bar for the GT3 996 and 997.

Cantrell in WA takes this same approach. Yes you will have to drill a few holes and trim the carpet a wee bit to mount the hoop. BFD, if you remove the bar, the holes can be plugged and some minor carpet repairs done...that's the way it looks from my perspective....f0r the 996 and 997 as well.
Martin S. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM
  #6  
177mph
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
177mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,055
Default

Originally Posted by spiller View Post
I have nothing else to add other than I sold a factory 997 GT3 Clubsport cage to a 996C2 owner who successfully installed the cage himself with very little fuss.
thats exactly what I'm doing right now. Fits right into the 996 gt3.
177mph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 AM
  #7  
spiller
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
spiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,060
Default

Originally Posted by 177mph View Post


thats exactly what I'm doing right now. Fits right into the 996 gt3.
The Motorsport 997 front section also fits but apparently you can’t adjust the headlight switch as the cage bar is right up against the dash in that area.
spiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:45 AM
  #8  
177mph
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
177mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,055
Default

Originally Posted by spiller View Post

The Motorsport 997 front section also fits but apparently you can’t adjust the headlight switch as the cage bar is right up against the dash in that area.
That is correct.
177mph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:03 PM
  #9  
cgfen
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cgfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 4,600
Default

Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
Is a bolt in rear half cage interchangeable between 996 and 997 GT cars without sunroofs and without subwoofers/speakers? Specifically ones that bolt to the rear shock towers? Looking for something that will mount to the rear shock towers and bolt to the seatbelt mounts behind the rear seats, preferably to weld in plates behind the rear seats. Best I can tell they are interchangeable between 996 and 997 cars but looking to find out with certainly.
check out the cage currently FS by turbofever
cgfen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 PM
  #10  
177mph
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
177mph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,055
Default

Originally Posted by cgfen View Post
check out the cage currently FS by turbofever
Powdr wanted something that bolts to the rear shock towers. Turbo fever is selling a complete bolt in bar that attaches to the seat belt positions.
177mph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 AM
  #11  
powdrhound
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
powdrhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by 177mph View Post
Powdr wanted something that bolts to the rear shock towers. Turbo fever is selling a complete bolt in bar that attaches to the seat belt positions.
Yeah, no interest in that. Have that already...
powdrhound is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: