Squat to the left

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Squat to the left

Has anybody else noticed what happens when the throttle pedal is mashed down.... aside from rapidly swinging tach and the silly grin. I notice that the GT3 a) seems to squat down in the rear and b) move to the left, feels almost like torque steer in a front wheel drive. My 99 C2 did not do this and I just want assurance that this is normal. Anybody else notice this???

TIA
Old 12-10-2003, 11:26 AM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sloth, my car squats slightly but does not torque steer at heavy throttle. I believe this squat is normal and is due to the progressive nature of the rear springs. Take a look at this photo. You can see that the topmost portion of the rear spring is wound relatively tightly. I think the car squats as this portion compresses.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:09 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Squat to the left

Originally posted by Sloth
Has anybody else noticed what happens when the throttle pedal is mashed down.... aside from rapidly swinging tach and the silly grin. I notice that the GT3 a) seems to squat down in the rear and b) move to the left, feels almost like torque steer in a front wheel drive. My 99 C2 did not do this and I just want assurance that this is normal. Anybody else notice this???

TIA
You may have some pre-load in the front swaybar.
That exact same thing happens to me in my E46 M3 when I adjust the front bar (aftermarket) to a new setting and don't remove the preload properly.
If it's the sway bar the car should also twitch slightly when you go from full throttle to off-throttle.
Just my guess...
Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Are your tire pressures correct? Are your rear toe alignment settings equal side to side?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Squat to the left

Questions to ask yourself: Are the tire pressures correct and the same, side to side? Is the car properly aligned? Does this happen more than one time? Does it happen on uneven roads or also on smooth pavement?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

It seems to happen pretty consistantly when I stick my foot to it and it always seems to squat to the left in the rear. Yes the tire pressures are the equal, I checked them on Friday. The alignment is as it came from the factory and nothing has happened that would change the settings. I have noticed this tendency since new so I just thought it was normal. The tires are not showing any odd wear within the first 1700 miles.

Perhaps a visit to the dealership for an alignment?
Old 12-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would. Also double check all suspension links to make sure they are not damaged and are torqued correctly and aren't moving any. Also maybe move the rear tires to the opposite side to make sure it isn't a tire issue.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

It seems to happen pretty consistantly when I stick my foot to it and it always seems to squat to the left in the rear. Yes the tire pressures are the equal, I checked them on Friday. The alignment is as it came from the factory and nothing has happened that would change the settings. I have noticed this tendency since new so I just thought it was normal. The tires are not showing any odd wear within the first 1700 miles.

All 911's squat when taking off, its a characteristic of the car due to the placement of the engine.

No it should not pull to the left. I would get that checked out.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me just clarify, the movement to the left seems to be in the rear... almost like the rear of the car is tramlining when I stand on the pedal. I know the squat part is normal. Nothing seems to be loose in the rear, no strange noises from bumps.

I will contact the dealer and see what they say. Thanks all.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:30 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

You may want to consider a rear tire problem. I have heard that there were some manufacturing differences in some of the Michelin tires, that may cause this if they are different from side to side.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:01 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Default Yes

Sloth,

yes i experience this behavior when i go WOT in 2nd gear. Even on a smooth surface such as a highway it seems like the car has a tendency to veer to the left. If i didn't correct with small steering input i would guess it would move several feet to the left under acceleration.

it does feel like torque steer almost.

the car came from the factor misaligned (steering wheel was off center when the car tracked straight) and it was adjusted by champion porsche here in florida. I am wondering now if i should bring it back to them to have it checked out again.

It only happens under extreme acceleration and really only in 2/3 gear.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Yes

Originally posted by gmolinari
Sloth,

yes i experience this behavior when i go WOT in 2nd gear. Even on a smooth surface such as a highway it seems like the car has a tendency to veer to the left. If i didn't correct with small steering input i would guess it would move several feet to the left under acceleration.

it does feel like torque steer almost.

the car came from the factor misaligned (steering wheel was off center when the car tracked straight) and it was adjusted by champion porsche here in florida. I am wondering now if i should bring it back to them to have it checked out again.

It only happens under extreme acceleration and really only in 2/3 gear.
Thats exactly what I am talking about. Feels like the rear wants to step to the left under extreme acceleration in 2&3 gear.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Yes

Thats exactly what I am talking about. Feels like the rear wants to step to the left under extreme acceleration in 2&3 gear.
Max,

I will try to replicate this phenomena Saturday when I take her out and will post my impressions....
Old 12-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please do rockitman. I look fwd to hearing back. I am probably going to swap the rear tires to see if there is any difference, otherwise its also a good chance to check out the rear suspension and clean some more cosmoline.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Sloth: Don't assume the car is delivered with the correct alignment as it isn't something dealers usually check. After 1200 miles of break-in, where it didn't exhibit any bad habits on the road, I took my Boxster S to a DE at Sebring and was wondering why everybody raved about the handling. Took it in for a "courtesy" alignment afterwards and had some negative camber dialed in and and the rear toe corrected (it was definitely out of factory spec) and was _much_ happier with the handling.

Quick Reply: Squat to the left