Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squat to the left

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve's right. A car like the GT3 should have the alignment and corner balancing done soon after delivery. Alignment is not a part of normal PDI, unless someone notices something wrong. Remember, it's sat on a ship for two weeks or so, with the suspension blocked to prevent movement. I found alignment issues on delivery of my 996TT, as well as other cars I've had.

Robin
Old 12-17-2003, 08:28 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Turbo had some strange handling characteristics (usually under very hard use) and unexpected tyre wear patterns. Complained a bunch of times to the dealer. Finally the car was sent to Stuttgart and since then it has been perfect.

Some of the new GT3’s arriving at the Nürburgring were basically un-driveable as delivered by the factory. Only after a few rounds of careful tweaking did they work well.

So yes, these cars are very sensitive to set-up.

Stephen
Old 12-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Colin Templer
5th Gear

Sloth,
I posted a similar problem a few months back. My car would steer half a freeway lane to the right on power & half a lane to the left again coming off the power. My problem was with the Pirelli tyres & I now know this to be a rare problem but well known all the same. According to Pirelli, changing the tyres from side to side or even fitting them to another car will see the problem disappear. I find that hard to believe but new tyres supplied free of charge fixed my problem. Perhaps Michellin have had similar issues. Also check the rear toe in on each side & make sure they are equal, some aligners only look at total toe in.
Good Luck
Old 12-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I have made an appointment for an alignment with the local dealership. However, the earliest appointment I could get was for the Monday following Xmas. The service manager felt confident that the alignment was off since it goes to the left. He said a slight pull to the right would be more in character with the drivetrain.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

I had a similair problem with my Mk1 GT3 when running P Zero's.

It felt as if the rear tyres were flat or at least punctured as the whole car tried to move around the axis of the rear end when under power or on the over run.

Cutting a long story short Pirrelli sent an engineer to test the tyres, found nothing but still arranged for a complete set to be fitted to the car FOC.

With the new tyres the problem disappeared!

Pirrelli get the big thumbs up for customer service without a doubt.

In addition to getting the settings checked I would recommend that you check and adjust the corner weightings as this makes a massive differance to the way the car drives both on and off track.

Good Luck!

P.

Quick Reply: Squat to the left