Sponsored by:

How far would you drive your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How far would you drive your GT3

There have been many posts about how "street comfortable" the GT3 is (or, is not!). I've never ridden in one for an extended period of time, so I don't really know. My question is, would you take a long trip in this car if it was just you and possibly one other person and assuming you didn't require any more luggage space than the GT3 can handle? Would you drive 1000 miles, 2000 miles, across country? I know Rennlisters who love the car, but will not drive 50 miles!
I love my Turbo and will keep it for a good long while, but I've just purchased a GT3 which I'll use as a track car. My dilemma is I can't get any of the delivery companies to deliver it to me before the end of the year. I'm toying with the idea of picking it up myself and driving it home. Depending on how far I can get the dealer to deliver the car, my drive in the GT3 could be a long, long way, possibly from East to West Coast! The alternative is to wait a few weeks. And you know how much fun that will be.
What do you think? What would you do?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

the weaTHER is against you except southern most route and you can still get snowed in in New Mexico. i made it thru in 1997 from CT to CA in December in my 930. just barely missed big snow on summer tyres.

i drove my gt2 from Malibu to Elko and back twice this summer, 1500 miles round, it's no big deal. gt3's the same. they are great cars at speed and perfectly comfortable cross country.

i prefer to always travel alone - more space, less weight.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least one other person has picked up a car on the east coast and driven it back west but not all the way to the coast. He has no complaints about the comfort. I've driven 5+ hours at a time without any problems.

As Watt said, the only thing you need to worry about right now is the weather. It has $ucked in the NE since Thanksgiving.

Karl
Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get in ehe car and drive it home!!! Make a road trip out of it, avoid the interstates and use as many federal hi-ways (US-36, 66 etc) as you can, my experience has been they are less traveled and better maintained. Its a 4-5-6 day journey depending on how long your stints are. Xcountry trips are great, I've done 3 in the past year in my 996 and would not hesitate to make your proposed journey.
Consider it part of the Porsche Driving Experience as well as somthing not many people would do no matter what car
Old 12-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Watt, KarlS and MJones,
Can't believe I'm really considering this, but your responses are pushing me in the direction of just "goin' for it".
I just looked at Mapquest and see the distance is 2750+ miles depending on route. Seems like a long haul in a GT3!
I've got the dealer installing a clear bra tomorrow on most vulnerable body parts, so a little weather/gravel would be OK. But, a southerly route makes a lot of sense. That would, however, push the distance up towards 3000!
Thanks for the input.
JP
Old 12-09-2003, 11:18 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I spent a 13 hour day in the car and it was great - no issues at all and I am a guy that gets uncomfortable easily in cars - 6'7" bad back, etc. It was great - one of the best road trips ever.

My concern, as others have voiced, is the weather. With the way the NE is getting hammered, you had better plan your trip wisely. Southern route might not be bad but that will add a lot of miles. As Watt said, even NM gets snow but I think you could avoid it there..? Any other season and I'd say go for it without a doubt.

What state are you in?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:21 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Bob,
I'm in SoCal. The car is east coast!!
JP
Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Whilst not as far as some of you guys travel I have pickup by my GT3 and RS from the factory and driven them home, about a 700mile trip and 9 hours including the train.

I would not hesitate to do the same again as it runs the car in nicely and makes the bonding experiance that much more enjoyable.

I have no problem at all with the comfort and the fuel consumption was better than I expected, 22mpg at a steady 100mph +.

Funnily enough I found the RS to be more comfortable than the GT3, the Nomex covering on the seats holding better than the leather I had previously.

As for snow, I have driven my previous car through heavy snow with the only problem being the tendency of the radiator to fill with snow and cause the car to overheat (my stupidity...)

Just get in the car and drive it, you will not regret the trip!

P.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I drove my GT3 3 weeks after I got it from Toronto to NYC.
No problems.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:42 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

If you pay for my flight and the fuel I am prepared to drive your GT3 from East Coast to West Coast and let you know whether you would have enjoyed it! :-)

Luke
Old 12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Default The great adveture

Originally posted by watt
i prefer to always travel alone - more space, less weight.
Hey Watt, why don't you and I get together and deliver the car for John? I'm sure we'd have some damned interesting conversations along the way...

Seriously John, go for it!!!

I wouldn't bother with the southern route. Just pay close attention to the weather. If it snows, be prepared to sit it out for a day. By the next day the roads will be plowed and you'll be on your way again.

Take a camera and you'll have a story to tell the kids. Better still, borrow one and bring it along so that it can enjoy the adventure too.

Stephen
Old 12-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I just finished an 800 mile round trip this past weekend. I loved pretty much every moment of it, even with the GT3 seats. My only concern about driving such a distance was a flat tire and the fact that spares are not readily available.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:12 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Where on the East coast is the car located?
Sounds like many are thinkimg the north east but it could be Georgia.
Fact: It's possible to make LA/Ny in 36 hrs ala Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining Sea Memorial Dash.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Default Re: How far would you drive your GT3

Originally posted by Johninrsf
There have been many posts about how "street comfortable" the GT3 is (or, is not!). I've never ridden in one for an extended period of time, so I don't really know. My question is, would you take a long trip in this car if it was just you and possibly one other person and assuming you didn't require any more luggage space than the GT3 can handle? Would you drive 1000 miles, 2000 miles, across country? I know Rennlisters who love the car, but will not drive 50 miles!
I love my Turbo and will keep it for a good long while, but I've just purchased a GT3 which I'll use as a track car. My dilemma is I can't get any of the delivery companies to deliver it to me before the end of the year. I'm toying with the idea of picking it up myself and driving it home. Depending on how far I can get the dealer to deliver the car, my drive in the GT3 could be a long, long way, possibly from East to West Coast! The alternative is to wait a few weeks. And you know how much fun that will be.
What do you think? What would you do?
Well I would not do it. What if you find the car uncomfortable after 500 miles? How are you going to get it home without suffering? I don't find the RS the least bit uncomfortable but some people find the GT3 unacceptably harsh. If you are one of those then you certainly do not want to be driving it 3,000 miles! Also no good if you have a limited mileage insurance policy?
Old 12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Interesting trip read:
http://www.funcarsonline.com/magazin..._bugs_fast.htm

Quick Reply: How far would you drive your GT3