Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Preparing to order my options for my GT3: Any tips??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Adding froo froo options to a GT3 suggests that you should be considering something else. The std interior is perfectly nice. Get Xenons, and floor mats. Then get the proper seats harnesses and roll bar from Gert. Save the cost of the full leather package to pay for a spare set of wheels and R compound tires. The Gt3 is a pure high performance driving machine. Leather dome lights, footwell lighting and other frippery is nonsense. If that stuff matters buy a TT.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:50 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the normal "full leather" package doesn't do all the crap like air vents, speaker covers, dome lights, visors, and all that nonsense. Basically the dash and some other major parts. There are a lot of those options that I consider a waste but to each his own.

Bob - with all due respect - you say it's nonsense so don't buy it (which I know you didn't). If someone wants to put it on their car then it's nonsense to you but may not be to them. Now...if they were pimping it up just to make it a nice cruiser then that's a different story and yes they probably should look for another car and yes I too hate to see GT3s wasted on that. How can you judge that someone is not serious about their car just because they can afford, and want a $2920 leather package?

Like I said, I didn't buy the car to impress others but if you are questioning my "seriousness" because I have a leather dash then look me up next time you are in Dallas and I'll take you for a "leisurely cruise" around the track.

BTW - don't worry about me not being able to afford a set of track wheels and tires because I blew my money on leather interior - I have a nice set of kinesis K58s with PZ-Cs that do just fine...

Cheers
Old 11-24-2003, 11:26 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT2 comes with the Full Leather Option as standard... I'm guessing there isn't much weight difference between Full Leather interior and vinyl - nothing a few less cheeseburgers couldn't remedy.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob-D

I realize I was a bit harsh. My comment is based on the fact that my GT2 has a full leather interior - no choice, it comes that way. My GT3 does not and I find that the interior is equally pleasing. I shift between the two cars and the leather dash on the GT2 is no more attractive than the grained synthetic on the GT3. This probably says more about the quality of the leather than the plastic. In my mind, the real pleasure of a GT3 is driving it on a track or, if you are lucky enough to have the roads for it, in a spirited way on twisty bits. As to a ride on the track, I would be delighted and happy to return the favor if you are in the North East some time.<grin>.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:23 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I completely understand and agree that the real pleasure is in the driving - I think we're in violent agreement. I may just take you up on your offer when it gets a little warmer up there...this is prime track time down here
Old 11-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm glad you Bobs kissed and made up, you are both good guys..

it's interesting that the vinyl in my white early production GT3 looked much cheaper and more tawdry than that in my 45 day later silver GT3. i did miss the leather in the GT2 with the white car, but i still wouldnt pay money for it.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Kiss-kiss. Now, how do you feel about a sun-roof Bob?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

No sunroof for me - I'm actually having the top cut off to make the worlds first GT3 cab! (I seem to remember rumors about Ruf doing this with the RGT in the last generation...) Then I'm having a new carbon fiber shell made with a rollhoop so I can make it the worlds first GT -> LMP conversion...and then.....

Quick Reply: HELP: Preparing to order my options for my GT3: Any tips??