Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Preparing to order my options for my GT3: Any tips??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 11:59 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want leather sun visors buy a set from Gert and replace the vinyl ones yourself - no annoying yellow warning stickers that way.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

how is full leather possibly worth the 4K or whatever they charge?
i hardly miss the full leather of the gt2.

my current car has xenons period, all 4 of my cars with xenons have been fine. my first gt3, which i ordered, had xenon and pccb

a/c improves life, and unless you are such an amazing driver that 15KG makes a difference in your performance, deleting it is silly.

colour: chose because you are colour driven or take what's cheap! white must be washed all the time and SY too. silver can go weeks between. black cars are 7 degrees hotter inside, why in las vegas?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by watt

a/c improves life, and unless you are such an amazing driver that 15KG makes a difference in your performance, deleting it is silly.
Finally Watt says something that makes sense.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:39 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably would not have ordered full leather on the car I was spec'ing - went back and forth. I ended up buying a car with full leather and the deviated stitching+painted console. I have to admit - when I saw this car the interior really looked amazing compared to a standard car. Black leather+yellow stitching+yellow console+yellow belts looks amazing IMO. I'm not a very flashy person and was afraid the painted console would be too much but the car really comes together with these things. I get a lot of compliments on the interior so I guess it's not just me.

Just a comment on car usage - people might say that it has too many luxury features to be a pure GT3. I can assure you my car sees the track almost weekly (I'm a member at a private track) and sees a lot of road miles too. My point is, don't get caught up in the macho - "must be stripped down or it's not a real GT3". To each his own. If you're happier saying you have a stripped down GT3 then by all means...If you want a little nicer then go for it. My thought is that it's a 100K+ car that I'm using for dual purpose so I should be happy with it all around. Most exotics come with pretty nice interiors now and they are still serious cars. In the end, buy the car for yourself and what you want. Frankly, I don't care what others think and bought the car because I liked it - it's a nice by-product that others think it's nice too.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

greg,

cut it out man, you're screwing up my carefully cultivated image of terminal insanity
Old 11-24-2003, 01:35 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Watt

I assume you have your GT3 registered in Ca. If you do not mind me asking, what the registration fee was?

John
Old 11-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

john,

i do not reg. in Ca. I believe metal solid is however
Old 11-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Originally posted by watt
No reason to be insulting. There are any number of features on the GT3 that would be subject to that same rationale. It is all a matter of compromise; it all adds up. We each find a balance that we are happiest with.

I deleted A/C about as much to simplify systems as to save weight. I passed on leather, becase my experience with my other Porsche, that has a custom leather interior, was that I hated the wear and tear on the interior from track use. The stock interior is just more hassle-free. Overall, I wanted to spec the car to optimize a niche application (a street-legal Cup car) - though I will never be able to realize that potential myself - so it's partially what one person might call "bragging rights" or another "pride of ownership."

If my vision was to enjoy the perfect mount for a richly tooled, silver-laden western-style saddle and bridle, I don't think I'd pay for a thoroughbred with a champion's pedigree and put up with that temperament.

If I lived in Las Vegas, I'm pretty sure I'd get A/C. My compromise would fall the other way from how it has in Atlanta. I may still come to regret doing it here. I think Watt is on the money with his reading of the apparent intentions/desires that are evidenced in the post originating this thread; between that and the desert heat, A/C seems clearly indicated.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

marco,

pls dont take it personally, no need to defend!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alcantara headliner and other questions

Is the Alcantara headliner standard on the GT3?

I do show a leather roof liner (option XMA) on the order guide. Is this a different type of leather or is this the Alcantara?

I have narrowed my color choices to White or Arctic Silver. However, has anyone seen a GT3 in Cobalt Blue or Polar Silver? Can anyone post a picture in either color?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cerberus; 11-24-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by watt

I thought that the extra weight of aircon was nearer 20kg? In most cars the addition of a little weight for options is not a consideration. However the GT3 is basically a track car for the road and it could be argued that it is already too heavy!!

Air con simply makes it heavier. However if I lived in a warmer climate I might be tempted.

Incidentally Watt if drinking Fosters beer makes you play like the Aussies did in the Rugby final then I'll stick to the G&Ts
Old 11-24-2003, 04:53 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcantara is standard
Old 11-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bob_dallas
Alcantara is standard
Thanks Bob.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:34 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Marco Polo

Is there some reason why you could not just have removed the AC yourself and saved it for sale or later re-install?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

With regards to Air Con I would say it is fairly mandatory.

Why? I had to think long and hard about ordering my RS with or without A/C and finally decided that with was the way to go.

Again, Why? Two reasons.

1. I drove around for two weeks with the A/C switched off in my Mk2 GT3.
What an unpleasant experience! Having had 993's without A/C I thought I could survive with the "speed sensitive A/C, opening the windows. Boy was I wrong!! The 996 gets much MUCH hotter inside than the old Air cooled cars which brings me onto my second point.

2. Are modern cars designed to run without A/C? I don't think they are as there is not the through put of air compared to older cars ie 993, which were designed originally before A/C was available.

Be interested to hear others thoughts on that one.

So, take the A/C.

As for the full leather, do you mean the one that even covers the air vents in dead cow? If you do, IMO it is a bit OTT.

Colours, personal choice. My first GT3 was SY, my second was Cobalt Blue. If someone could tell me how to post pictures I would put some up!

What ever you choose you will not regret as the car is absolutely fantastic, just enjoy it!!

P.

Quick Reply: HELP: Preparing to order my options for my GT3: Any tips??