Sponsored by:

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight restoration

Anyone know where to go for a good headlight restoration in the Chicago area? I was hoping to find a body shop so they can clear coat them for me too.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man, that is super easy to do yourself and do right. And I dropped some clear bra on mine afterward. Unless your time is worth way more or you don't enjoy it.

D.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Mine could use some polish as well. They look completely clear from the front and are still bright, but from the side, different story.

How does one DIY these plastic headlight pieces?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're really picky about your car, I wouldn't recommend a DIY. Polishing them is pretty straight forward - but in order to prevent yellowing quickly after, they must be treated with a UV protectant clear coat. This is where you can't beat a professional shop. Its virtually impossible for you to get a complete dust and/or run free spray/finish. The kit I used on my last car had a clear that you applied with a foam brush. From 5 feet away the headlights looked pretty great, but if you examined them you would notice runs and dust particles in them.

I've gotten a few quotes from local places for headlight restoration. The first place was a dent removal shop and they quoted me $90 for both lights, but were upfront that they don't have a dust booth and they will not be 100% perfect. The second place is a body shop and they quoted $200 for both lights and have assured me they'll be perfect and dust free. I'm opting to pay the extra money for perfection.

Edit: A fellow member brought to my attention that you can polish and then use Xpel headlight film instead of spraying with a clear coat. I've never tried it, but it sounds like a good alternative.

Last edited by charlieaf92; 07-07-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:06 PM
tokika
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are already a few threads on this with in the 996 group if you search. That said, I used the 3M product with uv inhibitor AND added Lamin-X clear covers almost two years ago and have been very happy with the results. Also, much easier if you remove the head lights first.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:49 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

I know there were some other threads. Just wanted to find somewhere to get it done so it turns out great. I tried to do it before but the end result wasn't very good. I think i'm going to take my chances with this place https://performancedtl.com/headlight-restoration/ and then have them cover the lights with Lamin-x. That was the best place I could find during research unless I wanted to drive 2 hours to Indiana. The place quoted me $150 for everything.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by joshb217
I know there were some other threads. Just wanted to find somewhere to get it done so it turns out great. I tried to do it before but the end result wasn't very good. I think i'm going to take my chances with this place https://performancedtl.com/headlight-restoration/ and then have them cover the lights with Lamin-x. That was the best place I could find during research unless I wanted to drive 2 hours to Indiana. The place quoted me $150 for everything.
I feel you. I am apparently incapable of doing mine correctly. I have one new headlight and then one original. The original isn't horrible, but next to the new one . . . Have tried several different kits. After 2 hours of grinding and polishing, it still looks 15 years old.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Timlin
Advanced

I got mine upgraded to 35w HID lo-beam and had a 35w HID hi-beam system installed as well. Plus I had "Angel-Eyes" as DRL's, but they also now act as indicators - flashing yellow when activated. So I took the globes from the OEM indicators and just use these now. Also had the interiors of both units painted satin black.

I'm pretty happy with the looks, and the night time vision as now amazing!

Rgd's

AT

I don't know why the pic is upside down... its the right way up on my desktop! Sorry!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Who does this? And,...what's the cost?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Timlin
I don't know why the pic is upside down... its the right way up on my desktop! Sorry!!
AT - It's because you're in Australia.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

I'm a bit jealous Timlin. Wish there was someone in my area that could do that work!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 AM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Tonight I mixed my headlight restoration kit with my home brew kit (beer) and accomplished something I'm pretty happy with. My question is now can I add Lamin-X over the lights that have the UV protection that comes with the kit? After a 2000 grit sanding when you add the Lamin-X does it make it look nice and shiny? Sorry.... I'm a newb but really wanting to learn.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:22 AM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Forgot the pic....
Old 07-13-2017, 02:35 AM
Timlin
Advanced

It cost me AU$1k, so about US$800. I found this guy on FaceBook. You'd be amazed at some of the skill sets that can be found on FB, I'm sure there's some funny little place somewhere near you that do this sort of thing. LED's in cars have opened up a whole new cottage industry (at least it has done here) and there some amazing work out there.

I can't link the guy's FB page for some reason... but if you're on FB do a search for "That Headlight Guy".

Good luck!

AT
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 PM
sir996
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timlin
I got mine upgraded to 35w HID lo-beam and had a 35w HID hi-beam system installed as well. Plus I had "Angel-Eyes" as DRL's, but they also now act as indicators - flashing yellow when activated. So I took the globes from the OEM indicators and just use these now. Also had the interiors of both units painted satin black.

I'm pretty happy with the looks, and the night time vision as now amazing!

Rgd's

AT

I saw it the right way up
looks very nice
Shane
01CFOR

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration