Sponsored by:

RND Euro Parts website gone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:15 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 278 Posts
Default RND Euro Parts website gone?

So I've noticed the original URL for store.rndeuroparts.com is dead and the home page redirects to rndengines.com. If you click on "Shop RND" it redirects to L&N's website. I guess they've consolidated RND's parts site with L&N now? Does anyone know?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

In guessing that compared to engine sales, parts sales was a lot bigger pain for a lot less margin.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

The owners decided that dealing with the same parts that everyone else offered wasn't worth the effort. I told them not to do this, and after a year they finally listened to me, deciding to shut it down. No one appreciated the technical assistance they were able to get through my company for a few pennies more per part. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Thats all people give a damn about.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:44 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 278 Posts

Gotcha. Thanks Jake.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The owners decided that dealing with the same parts that everyone else offered wasn't worth the effort. I told them not to do this, and after a year they finally listened to me, deciding to shut it down. No one appreciated the technical assistance they were able to get through my company for a few pennies more per part. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Thats all people give a damn about.
Not everyone! I ordered all my stuff from RND Europarts. Was sad to see it go.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Copilot
Not everyone! I ordered all my stuff from RND Europarts. Was sad to see it go.
I didn't order everything from them, but I did get a few things. I think they fell short on marketing the "value added" angle - which is admittedly a difficult sell... Too bad they couldn't make it work
Old 06-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dporto
I didn't order everything from them, but I did get a few things. I think they fell short on marketing the "value added" angle - which is admittedly a difficult sell... Too bad they couldn't make it work
That stuff can't be marketed... It must be experienced by the consumer who respects it enough to share it with others, who then wish to experience it. That doesn't happen in this world, today.

We see it with engines too... Where the price is the only thing that matters. The seller can be a lying, deceiving, thief, but people will still deal with him if the price is cheap and they can have it tomorrow.

The aircooled Porsche world was NEVER like that.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
That stuff can't be marketed... It must be experienced by the consumer who respects it enough to share it with others, who then wish to experience it. That doesn't happen in this world, today.

We see it with engines too... Where the price is the only thing that matters. The seller can be a lying, deceiving, thief, but people will still deal with him if the price is cheap and they can have it tomorrow.

The aircooled Porsche world was NEVER like that.
Yes, it's too bad. It sort of makes me wonder how Pelican Parts has done as well as they have though, as they're usually more expensive than everyone else across the board (they're just one example, as there are other pricey alternatives as well). It's certainly a crowded space, and as such is difficult to break into. As for the aircooled Porsche, Much of that was prior to the Internet, so there was a much different "shopping" dynamic.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to buy from RND because I like their address :-).
Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Yes, it's too bad. It sort of makes me wonder how Pelican Parts has done as well as they have though, as they're usually more expensive than everyone else across the board (they're just one example, as there are other pricey alternatives as well). It's certainly a crowded space, and as such is difficult to break into. As for the aircooled Porsche, Much of that was prior to the Internet, so there was a much different "shopping" dynamic.
Pelican is feeling the pressure as well.

Pelican was the first with their easy to use website for ordering. Prices were good and the forums/technical article brought traffic.

Lately, pelican has watched their growth rate stall. They are trying different things to get it going. However, I think the market is changing. As Jake said, price is king and companies like Amazon have driven that "lowest price" mentality.

The air cooled world is different and I believe it has very little has to do with the internet. It's a very big dollar business and I think it's driven by a few factors:
1. Increased value of air-cooled cars. Most air-cooled cars are worth investing big money in them.
2. Many air cooled guys do their own work. Because of the first point, they are willing to spend the money for the original Porsche part.
3. Air cooled cars are usually third, fourth, etc. cars and are treated as collectibles. They are hobbies and people always spend more on hobbies
4. Perceived quality. In my mind, there is a difference between air cooled and water cooled Porsches. Those who own both know what I'm talking about. When you own an air cooled 911 you know the car will outlive you. I think that expectation even existed at the factory. I don't believe that expectation exists with the 996 at any level
5. Image. With an air-cooled car one feels more closely linked to days where people bought a car and became part of a small fraternity who were "in the know". Now, buying a 996 is like buying an older car from any company who makes high end sedans, SUV's, etc. Look how many 996 owners come over from owning BMW's? It's almost like BMW is a "stepping stone" for Porsche ownership. I'd be willing to bet that dynamic didn't exist in the air cooled era. Anyway, 996's are seen as a used car that people will pass through on their way to something else. Few, if any, see the car has a long term ownership proposition. If you don't see yourself holding onto the car for a long time, will you pay extra for the better part or for expertise?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by billh1963
Pelican is feeling the pressure as well.

Pelican was the first with their easy to use website for ordering. Prices were good and the forums/technical article brought traffic.

Lately, pelican has watched their growth rate stall. They are trying different things to get it going. However, I think the market is changing. As Jake said, price is king and companies like Amazon have driven that "lowest price" mentality.

The air cooled world is different and I believe it has very little has to do with the internet. It's a very big dollar business and I think it's driven by a few factors:
1. Increased value of air-cooled cars. Most air-cooled cars are worth investing big money in them.
2. Many air cooled guys do their own work. Because of the first point, they are willing to spend the money for the original Porsche part.
3. Air cooled cars are usually third, fourth, etc. cars and are treated as collectibles. They are hobbies and people always spend more on hobbies
4. Perceived quality. In my mind, there is a difference between air cooled and water cooled Porsches. Those who own both know what I'm talking about. When you own an air cooled 911 you know the car will outlive you. I think that expectation even existed at the factory. I don't believe that expectation exists with the 996 at any level
5. Image. With an air-cooled car one feels more closely linked to days where people bought a car and became part of a small fraternity who were "in the know". Now, buying a 996 is like buying an older car from any company who makes high end sedans, SUV's, etc. Look how many 996 owners come over from owning BMW's? It's almost like BMW is a "stepping stone" for Porsche ownership. I'd be willing to bet that dynamic didn't exist in the air cooled era. Anyway, 996's are seen as a used car that people will pass through on their way to something else. Few, if any, see the car has a long term ownership proposition. If you don't see yourself holding onto the car for a long time, will you pay extra for the better part or for expertise?
BillH1963
You hit the nail on the head... In every point you made the observation is spot on.

I continue to keep my focus on the things that others don't know, or can't do... Keeping it small and focused.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't plan on buying another Porsche to replace my 996. I understand the allure of the aircooled machinery, but the 996 quality and longevity is ahead of many other cars of its time. I had a 99 Passat that was built like a bank vault. Dumped it after nearly 200k trouble free miles for a 2015 TDI. Not the same experience in the '15. It proved very reliable for the 30k miles I drove it before selling it back to VW, but it was not as high of quality. Lots of details missed on that car. The quality and attention to detail of the C2 reminds me of the Passat. I will be keeping this car and will therefore put my time and money into repairing it correctly. Don't really care if it is a poor investment. That's not what it's about for me. Maybe there are others out there that think the same.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The 996 is a great car, especially the earliest examples. They retain more of the things that make a Porsche, a Porsche... Simplicity being one of the major points for me. They have many things that the aircooled cars do not.

I remain partial to aircooled Porsche's, and thats more because I built my business from them, and owned one from age 13 on. I love the sound of an 11 blade cooling fan, timing chains, and etc.

I see the earliest 996s rebounding in value, and people seeking out earlier cars more and more in their emails to us. After the past decade of my preaching about the 99's, and others seeing the same things, people are finally starting to listen, experience the differences themselves, and then share those with others.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

"If you don't see yourself holding onto the car for a long time, will you pay extra for the better part or for expertise?"

I do plan on holding on to the car - it's the first Porsche I've owned, and it will probably be the only one I'll own - I just don't do the automobile merry-go-round...
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

"If you don't see yourself holding onto the car for a long time, will you pay extra for the better part or for expertise?"

I do plan on holding on to the car - it's the first Porsche I've owned, and it will probably be the only one I'll own - I just don't do the automobile merry-go-round...
You are not the majority, though. I think the majority of people have these cars till the newer models depreciate enough to be affordable for them. This is what I gather from the dozens of emails we receive weekly where owners state this very thing without us even questioning them.

The number of people that appreciate the 996 enough to hold on to it long term is very small. Thats one reason why I keep our backlog and keep things small, focused, and hand built. I only care about offering engines to that small group that loves the car enough to keep it forever, or for more than a decade.

We could go to the higher volume mass production model, but it won;t be under my ownership of this company.

Quick Reply: RND Euro Parts website gone?