Sponsored by:

Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Boot, bonnet, trunk, frunk.... I can't keep it straight.
The fact that it's a 911 means it could be called a boonet, lol
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked the seller for a copy of the carfax and I'll see if they come through. I like the color, feel the screens give it a sporty look, actually like the wing and carerra decal, the interior shows little wear.

My only concern is when I Google earthed the address in the add it comes back to a body shop. I asked specifically if there was any paint work or accidents that would not have been reported to carfax.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was referring to the Joyzee car. The one in Lapis. The Chicago car also looks nice and lower mileage. I just like the lapis blue color.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd ask for a photo of the options sticker that lets you see the option codes. It's under the bonnet.

The interior looks like Natural Brown Leather to me, but I could be wrong. I had NBL in my 996, and it was great. The "GT3 kit aero" isn't an OE kit, which may or may not matter to you. The car also has aftermarket radiator screens in the front bumper. Many people like this to keep crap out of the radiators, and it's a common mod by people who frequently track their car. I don't know if this matters to you or not, but you might ask the seller about it.

Overall, the car looks nice and clean in the photos.
I know someone who had a car with the cinnamon interior. It's got more of a reddish hue than the natural brown, but it's not as red as it photographs. I'd characterize it as a dark tan with a tinge of red.

I think that color only came in full leather, i.e. acres of dead cow. IMO it's a much nicer interior than the base Tupperware. I think it looks great.

I have the radiator screens and like them. I've been meaning to pull the screens to see if there's any difference in cooling with them on or off, but didn't notice any difference after I first installed them.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

I'd love to see more pics if it is cinnamon and not NBL. I have a friend with terra cotta leather interior, and that's pretty unique.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:23 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Is this terra cotta?

Thoughts on this car? I will be going to look at it sometime this weekend unless running the Carfax shows something out of the ordinary.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=174461522

I know I said I wanted a bright color but, 23,000 miles is attractive. I asked the seller and he did say that the car did not sit for long periods of time.

I guess red is a love it or leave it color. Funny thing is one of the first cars I drove was my parents 1964 Thunderbird (in 1983) that was bright red with bright red interior and I owned a BMW E30 that was silver with cardinal red interior so maybe red interiors have a way of finding me???

NO IMS or RMS but, the cam chain guides have been done. Should I be concerned that they were or needed to be done at such low miles?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Is this terra cotta?

Thoughts on this car? I will be going to look at it sometime this weekend unless running the Carfax shows something out of the ordinary.

I know I said I wanted a bright color but, 23,000 miles is attractive. I asked the seller and he did say that the car did not sit for long periods of time.

I guess red is a love it or leave it color. Funny thing is one of the first cars I drove was my parents 1964 Thunderbird (in 1983) that was bright red with bright red interior and I owned a BMW E30 that was silver with cardinal red interior so maybe red interiors have a way of finding me???

NO IMS or RMS but, the cam chain guides have been done. Should I be concerned that they were or needed to be done at such low miles?
23k is quite low, and even if driven weekly still only represents 24 miles per week, which is an absolute minimum for a car like this. Even if only driven on nice days, it sat a LOT.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Yeah, I like low miles but.... What would a car with this few miles have for surprises and would a PPI catch theses issues?

Would this just be full of issues or is there no knowing?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I like low miles but.... What would a car with this few miles have for surprises and would a PPI catch theses issues?

A PPI would only catch some issues. The biggest problem is that low mileage cars don't always get the same frequency of fluid changes that higher mileage cars get. And the seals on these cars can wear out faster when not used.

It's best to look at the maintenance history to be sure.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:32 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I would highly recommend buying a car from a private seller rather than a dealer.
Or maybe a respected auction site like this one

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...911-carrera-6/
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this terra cotta?

LOL, you will find yourself on that slippery slope of 911-LOVE. Which is cool btw given that afterwards you will sink considerable money in it. But it is worth it everytime you take it for a drive.

It is a pristine, very low mileage car and IMHO one that 5-10 years from now will hold its value. Yes, you would need to do a major maintenance on it with all fluids changed, RMS/IMS/AOS and keep some change on the bank for bits&pieces falling off. But I think it is a great car, provided you like the interior colour! Good luck!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

FWIW, I bought my C2 about a month ago in TN with 23k miles on it. Carfax was clear and nothing that stood out. Only issue I had was a bad battery that didn't come about until after I swapped the radio.

Only thing is it is scheduled for IMS, AOS, RMS, and a few other things first week of August just for peace of mind. People say the low miles are a concern, but I've been driving the **** out of mine. But like it's been stated, regardless of miles, get ready to dump money into it. Exhaust, window tint, wheels, preventative maintenance...., it adds up fast.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Since this has the super rare mid-engine mod I guess you should have a look at it. If you don't want silver, don't get silver. Low miles, priced about right, maybe a little high. He's going to have a hard time selling with that interior. No aero, Most people will run the other way. Not my cup of tea, meh.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Mid-engine huh? I too caught that. Why is it that a small thing like that sets off all kinds of alarms to me? Wouldn't a Porsche owner know the difference between mid and rear engine?

I ran a car fax and it does come back as a one owner car. No accidents. The last noted "Dealer" service was a brake flush in 2006. I asked the owner about this and he told me that he had the car serviced at an indy and has the records to prove it when and if I look at the car in person.

I don't hate silver and I don't mind the red interior. Maybe worth a trip to go and look at it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:04 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

The Chicago car had a front end collision in 2010 that required it to be towed but, no mention of airbag deployment. How much should or would this effect the overall value.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6159935147.html

Still exploring the red Aero optioned car.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/6177807847.html
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner