Sponsored by:

Another Key Fob Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Another Key Fob Conundrum

A couple of months ago, my original key fob died. I bought a new one from Sunset Porsche, got it programmed, and it's worked fine for the last month.

Last night after getting home from work, I pressed the lock button to lock the car and hung the keys up inside the house. This morning I grabbed the keys, pressed the unlock button, and nothing happened. The light on the key fob didn't even blink. I pulled out the battery and re-seated it. Now the light blinks when I push any buttons, but the car doesn't respond.

I've tried all of the normal troubleshooting steps:
- Replacing the battery with a new one.
- Lock/unlock the car manually while pressing the remote button.
- Turn the ignition on while pressing the button.
- Flip the battery over for a few seconds.
- Disconnect the car battery for a while.
- Lock the car with the key quickly twice results in one beep of the horn (from what I've read, if you get two beeps there may be a problem with the immobilizer).

Nothing works. The light on the dash isn't even blinking. However, if I unlock the car with the key and don't start it for 15-ish seconds, the alarm will go off, as expected.

So what's everyone think? Any other troubleshooting steps I can try, or do I just need to take it back to the dealer and spend another $200 to have it reprogrammed for a second time in two months?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:58 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Is your car a coupe or cab? Also what year?

If cab water may have gotten into the unit, what ever it is hopefully you don't get locked out. There have been stories where the control module is on the way out at the very same time the door lock is broken! Then you're in trouble.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You say when you unlock the car via the key in the drivers door method, 15seconds the alarm goes off. I don't think that part is supposed to happen. At least it doesn't on mine but after one minute the door locks itself up again if not opened.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:01 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing something similar but if I use the key in the door then it will work again. But it will do it after sitting for awhile.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
Mine is doing something similar but if I use the key in the door then it will work again. But it will do it after sitting for awhile.
Thanks
That's the way it was designed, to preserve battery life for extended storage. As I recall, the receiver in the car isautomatically disabled after 5 days of non use.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

I have an '04 Targa. I never open the roof, so I'm almost certain it's not water intrusion.
As for the alarm going off, I'm pretty sure it's normal behaviour if you unlock the door with the key and open the door. If you don't turn on the ignition within 15 - 20 seconds, it will sound the alarm.
If the central locking/alarm/immobilizer unit itself were going bad, the alarm shouldn't work at all, right?

Last edited by Fixxxer; 06-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That's the way it was designed, to preserve battery life for extended storage. As I recall, the receiver in the car isautomatically disabled after 5 days of non use.
Thank you for the info never knew this
Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fixxxer,

That's definitely strange behavior.

But when the CLU (Central Locking Unit / Immobilizer Module / Alarm) malfunctions it can do all sorts of weird things that make no sense.

From your story, it sounds like 1 of 2 things are happening:

1- the fob is not transmitting the signal, or (fob's bad)
2- the CLU is not receiving the signal sent by the fob. (CLU's bad)

This is VERY easy to see with a PST2 scanner because there is a section that will actually show you this info.

BTW, do you have another fob to compare functionalities?

Also, if you have a scanner that can talk to the CLU, check for codes that can give you clues as to what's going on.

Stay in touch, we deal with this kind of thing daily.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 AM
wogin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was the final resolution ?

Originally Posted by Fixxxer
A couple of months ago, my original key fob died. I bought a new one from Sunset Porsche, got it programmed, and it's worked fine for the last month.

Last night after getting home from work, I pressed the lock button to lock the car and hung the keys up inside the house. This morning I grabbed the keys, pressed the unlock button, and nothing happened. The light on the key fob didn't even blink. I pulled out the battery and re-seated it. Now the light blinks when I push any buttons, but the car doesn't respond.

I've tried all of the normal troubleshooting steps:
- Replacing the battery with a new one.
- Lock/unlock the car manually while pressing the remote button.
- Turn the ignition on while pressing the button.
- Flip the battery over for a few seconds.
- Disconnect the car battery for a while.
- Lock the car with the key quickly twice results in one beep of the horn (from what I've read, if you get two beeps there may be a problem with the immobilizer).

Nothing works. The light on the dash isn't even blinking. However, if I unlock the car with the key and don't start it for 15-ish seconds, the alarm will go off, as expected.

So what's everyone think? Any other troubleshooting steps I can try, or do I just need to take it back to the dealer and spend another $200 to have it reprogrammed for a second time in two months?
Fixxxer,

I am in EXACTLY the same situation: same symptoms, same troubleshooting steps and results.

The single key remote that came with my car stopped unlocking the doors and trunk on my 986. Key light flashes but car doesn’t respond. I didn’t have the key’s programming code so l needed a new key since without the code for that key the dealer couldn’t attempt to reprogram.

I tried saving money getting a key from a dealer by mail and then programmed locally. The dealers in my area all wanted $400 total for a new key but $100 for just programming one(still seems like a lot). This worked. I had a functioning key for about 1-2 months. Then yesterday my new key no longer gets a response from the car. Red light flashes on the key but the car doesn’t respond. I’m assuming my key needs to be reprogrammed. Even if reprogramming my existing key is successful I’m hesitant to spend another $100 to do that if this is just going to happen again in another couple months.

What did you end end up doing?

Last edited by wogin; 03-31-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

wogin - I haven't done anything yet. I've just been using the key to lock & unlock the car since the remote stopped working. The biggest pain is that there's no keyhole on the passenger side door, so if I have my hands full, I have to unlock from the driver's side, turn the ignition on, and throw everything in my hands across to the passenger side. I really wish unlocking from the driver's side keyhole would unlock the passenger side at the same time! Instead, you can't even unlock the passenger side without closing the driver's door first. It's very frustrating!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the durametric. And it is not telling me anything. What I have discovered is the longer the vehicle sits the more I'm going to get that message. It has set most of the weekend and I bet you tomorrow when I go to work I will get a lot more error codes. So I'm not sure where the problem lies. The battery was replaced only 1,500 miles ago. In the key batteries I've replaced twice

Quick Reply: Another Key Fob Conundrum