Sponsored by:

Replace a 45K LN IMS bearing 'while we're in there?'

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replace a 45K LN IMS bearing 'while we're in there?'

Along with a new clutch, I had my IMS bearing replaced with an LN Engineering bearing when I bought the car way back in 2008. It had just about 40,000 miles at the time. The car just rolled over 82,000 and a new clutch is in my near future. Say one year/5,000 miles or so.

The question: Stick with the current IMS bearing, or replace it 'while we're in there?' To be honest, I can argue this either way. Interested in opinions and experience, but not hysteria.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Well, the LN site says replace every 75K miles or 6 years....you are past the 6 year mark.

If you plan to keep the car I would do the IMS solution and be done with it.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

How do you know your clutch is going out? slipping? 42k on a clutch isn't that much...

If you decide to pull the old LNE IMS and replace it, it would be great if you could report back here with observations on the old bearing.
It would be really useful info for those of us like me who have LNE IMS bearings and would like some feedback on their longevity!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a time expiration on the bearing too, not just miles. I never remember if it is 5 or 6 years, but either way you're beyond that point.

So I think I'd go ahead and do it at the same time since even just by milage it wouldn't make your next clutch anyway.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:53 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Do it now.....you will pay much more to have it done down the road on its own. Besides, you are due based on time (not miles).

Chris(MA)....the longevity is 6 yrs 75k....that's the suggested service interval. It is clear it has not failed on this 40k/9 yr installation, but I don't think that should give you the warm fuzzies to run yours for 9 or 10 yrs, too.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you guys only getting 40-50k out of a clutch is my question
Old 06-09-2017, 05:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Oregoncoaststi
How are you guys only getting 40-50k out of a clutch is my question
We drive as Porsche intended?

40-60k seems to be the normal range with the 50-60k range what I would probably call normal. It's the ones that get 80k or more (I recall reading someone getting like 110 or 120 out of theirs ) that boggles my mind.

My Indy got 80k out of his 6GT3 and I know he didn't baby that thing, so who knows.

We replaced our first around 30k as it was out for an RMS job and it was half gone so we went ahead and did it (mileage accumulation slowed drastically shortly after so it wasn't just another 2 years before we got to the expected 60k as we expected). Similar story at 70k when the transmission was out 10 years later, though the flywheel (original) was done. So while we haven't had one in that long, we seem to be in the 50-60k range.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking, (i) you went with a bearing you knew you had to replace, (ii) you're in there now, and (iii) the time period for recommended replacement has already passed. It seems like a no-brainer to do the replacement even though the bearing might be okay.

It's an interesting dilemma though. You bought a car with a "lifetime" bearing that never needed replacement and replaced it with one that has a limited lifetime. Of course, sticking with the original bearing came with the risk that it would shred your engine without warning while the latter one...well...couldn't it potentially do the same? The key difference is that LN warned you. Being so warned, I'd change the bearing.

-Eric
Old 06-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course put in a new bearing! If only to tell all of us how the old one comes out...Curious to see that. It should come out perfect. That would be a single row ceramic in there? Will you now put a dual row in?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Just as a FYI, bearing degradation for an anti-friction bearing is based on revolutions, lubrication, cleanliness, etc. and not time. I do know they say after so many years.....but it really doesn't have anything to do with it unless it is sitting there rusting away.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
but it really doesn't have anything to do with it unless it is sitting there rusting away.
My guess is that they idea is that if you haven't gotten to the milage in that amount of time then the theory is that it may not have seen consistent and effective lubrication. Obviously it's lasted well past that in this case so there is likely a good amount of "cover our ***" thrown in there too.

I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though, so what do I know?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm not saying don't replace it....just sayin' that the life of all ball bearing is proportional to the amount of revolutions, with each one it gets closer to end of life.

The only real downside of replacement is if it's installed incorrectly and has a premature failure due to installation error.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 972 Posts

31 known failures. Just buy a new car and be done with it!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I'm not saying don't replace it....just sayin' that the life of all ball bearing is proportional to the amount of revolutions, with each one it gets closer to end of life.
Yeah. Was just throwing out my non-studied guess as to why they have the time limit even though it "technically" shouldn't be needed is all.

The only real downside of replacement is if it's installed incorrectly and has a premature failure due to installation error.
Yeah that's the one thing that bugs me about replacing a bearing that has 70k+ on it (or god forbid 100k+). If it's gone that long and isn't showing signs of failure, then messing with it (no matter how good the installer is) adds the chance of a mistake (though Jake's tool designs seem to take most of that risk away).

Now knowing that our original was a healthy and happy dual row I've often thought I should have just left well enough alone, but life goes on and now there is a DR Solution we can go with the next time around.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Just as a FYI, bearing degradation for an anti-friction bearing is based on revolutions, lubrication, cleanliness, etc. and not time. I do know they say after so many years.....but it really doesn't have anything to do with it unless it is sitting there rusting away.
A bearing in grease sealed up is one thing, but these bearings are in engine oil. So they see combustion products etc.

Although I seem to recall the IMS bearing is actually immersed in oil when the engine is switched off.

Quick Reply: Replace a 45K LN IMS bearing 'while we're in there?'