996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replace a 45K LN IMS bearing 'while we're in there?'

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If changing it out doesn't add too much extra time or cost, I would say change it out. Would be very curious to see the condition of the bearing. I bet it looks like new.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:30 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I'm thinking, (i) you went with a bearing you knew you had to replace, (ii) you're in there now, and (iii) the time period for recommended replacement has already passed. It seems like a no-brainer to do the replacement even though the bearing might be okay.

It's an interesting dilemma though. You bought a car with a "lifetime" bearing that never needed replacement and replaced it with one that has a limited lifetime. Of course, sticking with the original bearing came with the risk that it would shred your engine without warning while the latter one...well...couldn't it potentially do the same? The key difference is that LN warned you. Being so warned, I'd change the bearing.

-Eric
Does anyone really believe LNE tested these bearings for 6 years or 75k in a simulated or real life setting like Porsche AG did?? In all likelihood, they pulled those numbers out of their behind.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
Does anyone really believe LNE tested these bearings for 6 years or 75k in a simulated or real life setting like Porsche AG did?? In all likelihood, they pulled those numbers out of their behind.
What makes you think Porsche AG tested them? I think the class action suit proved otherwise. LN/FSI did extensive testing and developed the procedure to retrofit the IMS bearing, while Porsche was telling us we had to replace our engines @ 20k +... While I do believe in Porsche's engineering abilities, they also answer to a board of trustees, accountants and shareholders...
Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course they did not test it that way; that is what we all are doing now actually.
They will have run their calculations and taken probably a 99.9% threshold which resulted in that 75k/6 years. That also means if you are willing to take a 99% chance the bearing will be good for 150k/10 years etc.
You can only assume the 75k/6 years is a safe bet by a large margin. IMHO if a double standard bearing has a 1% chance to fail after x years then a higher quality ceramic bearing which also uses the engine oil for lubrication iso grease probably has a much longer lifetime. However, if you would be LN Engineering with the whole IMS story as it is you'd probably limit your claim for longevity as well.

Just my 2c of course.

Volkert
Old 06-10-2017, 01:44 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

No on the 6 yrs, yes they did extensive testing with an engine on a dyno run continuously until failure I believe. I could be wrong but I do rcall reading this awhile back.

I'd put my money on the"IMS Solution" and be done with it for the life of the car.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I am doing right now. Dropped my 112,700 car off for surgery yesterday...I had the same argument with myself and decided piece of mind was worth the money. I was going to wait until I needed a clutch, but my ex brother in laws 01 boxster imploded 2 weeks ago due to IMS. It moved up my timeline...

Originally Posted by gnat
My guess is that they idea is that if you haven't gotten to the milage in that amount of time then the theory is that it may not have seen consistent and effective lubrication. Obviously it's lasted well past that in this case so there is likely a good amount of "cover our ***" thrown in there too.

I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though, so what do I know?
If you have the extra $800 lying around...change away.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
This is what I am doing right now. Dropped my 112,700 car off for surgery yesterday...I had the same argument with myself and decided piece of mind was worth the money. I was going to wait until I needed a clutch, but my ex brother in laws 01 boxster imploded 2 weeks ago due to IMS. It moved up my timeline...

If you have the extra $800 lying around...change away.
but did his boxster have stock or LNE IMS?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
And more importantly, was the engine torn down for a proper diagnoses, or was a trashed bearing found and everything stopped there*?

* For the record I get why the investigation stops there in most cases and have no objection. It's when it stops there and the failure is blamed on the bearing that I object to.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 AM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)

His car had an original bearing. He bought the cat with around 70k miles and the shop that did his PPI told him that most cars over 60k miles are fine. .

Gnat, I am honestly not sure about the rear down and what they found...I'll have to ask him and get back to you.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, this is the whole point with that miserable IMS story. You don't know and you can't tell. Now you have the double row bearing fetish that it won't fail etc. Also that is not true. They fail less but fail they can. Unless you have owned the car its lifetime you don't know how often oil was changed, quality used etc. Even then, it could still fail.

So to TS point, if you're in there, follow the advice and change it every clutch change (if you are so lucky to have a manual). I actually believe it does not even have to be an expensive ceramic (but again there will be a law of odds...) but I don't mind to spend the additional dollar for some additional quality.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkert

So to TS point, if you're in there, follow the advice and change it every clutch change (if you are so lucky to have a manual). I actually believe it does not even have to be an expensive ceramic (but again there will be a law of odds...) but I don't mind to spend the additional dollar for some additional quality.
Sort of the way I'm leaning. With parts and additional labor it's probably another $1K. Keeping the car for a while, so we'll see.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:12 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Get the IMS Solution! You should be able to recoup the extra cost at resale.

Quick Reply: Replace a 45K LN IMS bearing 'while we're in there?'