Sponsored by:

Buy 996 at Auction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
The person who paid close to $25K for that car is a complete idiot.
How many people know you can get a low mileage 911 for well less than 25k? This young lady and her parents may have done some price checks on line and found multiple dealer asking prices above 20k for "similar" cars, so 25k doesn't seem that far out of line. I hope the auction house folks played up her "nice Porsche" when she took possession and made her feel good about her purchase. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
How many people know you can get a low mileage 911 for well less than 25k? This young lady and her parents may have done some price checks on line and found multiple dealer asking prices above 20k for "similar" cars, so 25k doesn't seem that far out of line. I hope the auction house folks played up her "nice Porsche" when she took possession and made her feel good about her purchase. Ignorance is bliss.
True. If folks knew how car dealers actually made money - with auctions being an important part - they might think twice.

Then again, you can a lot of money doing your own personal fiances, doing your own home remodeling, doing your own grass cutting, etc.

Some might think that $25k for a 911 is a good price. Compared to an average, it might be. But those who know - most people do not - cannot believe my car is 18-years old, or that it was 1/2 the cost of their Prius.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the negativity towards the buyer going on here is a bit harsh. Sure none of us that know these cars would have paid so much and we think she got taken, but really?

I'm sorry she over paid through her naivety (either about auctions or the car), but I wish her the best and hope for her sake that it turns out to be a good car after a good cleaning. Hopefully she gets many miles and smiles out of it.

If she does have trouble or questions, hopefully this thread will no longer be active so she doesn't get the mistaken impression that there will be no help for her here...
Old 05-30-2017, 07:22 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
This happens more than you would think.
No it doesn't because I KNOW it happens constantly. I used to go to 'estate' auctions. I got a feeling long ago that; 'hey, I saw that same antique sewing table last week at a different estate!' I knew stuff was shill bid and if it didn't sell, it just went on a truck, and was unloaded at the next location.

I have made money at auctions, but never lost. The trick is to know who the shill is, and that can be difficult. I was at an aircraft parts auction in Dallas a year ago and bid on a prop. When the price went over $3000, I passed. Two weeks later; same prop, same box, same paperwork, different auction. I bid up to $2400, and this time I got it. After having it certified, I sold it to a guy that was desperate for $8000.

Shill bidding happens constantly. Noting surprises me anymore.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I think the negativity towards the buyer going on here is a bit harsh. Sure none of us that know these cars would have paid so much and we think she got taken, but really?

I'm sorry she over paid through her naivety (either about auctions or the car), but I wish her the best and hope for her sake that it turns out to be a good car after a good cleaning. Hopefully she gets many miles and smiles out of it.

If she does have trouble or questions, hopefully this thread will no longer be active so she doesn't get the mistaken impression that there will be no help for her here...
Really? I've done stupid things in the past, and owned up to making a stupid mistake. Doesn't make her a bad person, and if she does come here, maybe she'll own up to her mistake. Or - maybe we'll all retract our sentiments and decide she got a blistering, smokin' hot, deal of the century.

It could happen...
Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

OK, who hacked into gnat's account and posted this touchy-feely crap?

Quick Reply: Buy 996 at Auction?