996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buy 996 at Auction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:16 PM
GoJo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why my previous reply did not go through. Said something about moderator review before it would post.

Many of you were correct about the car and situation.

The car was not clean. The interior floorboards were dirty and cluttered. The wheels had brake dust caked on them.

Always Wanted 1, you were right. Driver's side seat bolster was dried and cracked. Leather interior looked like it had not been taken care of.

Talked to the PO's son. He said that he was not aware of any service records, although I heard someone say that there were some dealer maintenance entries in the manual. Son had no idea about RMS, IMSB, etc. He said he 'thought' that it had been taken in for scheduled maintenance. That is all he knew.

A couple of door dings in the driver door and at least one in the passenger side. Not major but you could see them. Paint damage on the passenger rear corner. Looked like a scuff or something had grazed it, but it was obvious. Tires appeared shot. Not sure why there was a bent/mangled Porsche plate on the front.

Anyway, the car sold for $22,600. To a (appeared to be) twenty-something woman whose parents were 'helping' her bid. Those in attendance who looked to be familiar with what they were evaluating bailed by $14k. There was 'that guy' who traded bids with the woman until he quit at $22,500.

So, she pays $22,600 plus 7% state tax plus a 3% 'convenience' fee. Puts her very close to $25k for the car. Ugh.

Thanks all for the feedback and info. A good adventure nonetheless. I will keep looking.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

She going to be sadly surprised once down the rabbit hole...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by GoJo
Anyway, the car sold for $22,600...
Better them than you.

The nicest 996 around barely break $30K these days (gt/turbo excluded of course), so buying a pile of unknown with cosmetic defects, zero service history, and known to be sitting for a while for $24K+ makes zero sense.

The last 996 estate sale care I saw around here also went for way too much. Similar story, clearly sat for several years and had some cosmetic flaws. But at least that one was a turbo. I bid what I considered to be full money on the car given the obvious things it needed and an adjustment for the unknown factor, and was outbid by a bunch. Also better them than me...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I am not surprised at all about the final price. Those kind of things happen regularly at auctions, especially the "small town" auctions where you have people in attendance that are not experts on the material. I am surprised it involved a young woman and not two guys bidding each other up. Maybe her parents are well to do and it won't be a big deal to throw another 5k at it.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why my previous reply did not go through. Said something about moderator review before it would post.

The car was not clean. The interior floorboards were dirty and cluttered. The wheels had brake dust caked on them.

Always Wanted 1, you were right. Driver's side seat bolster was dried and cracked. Leather interior looked like it had not been taken care of.

Talked to the PO's son. He said that he was not aware of any service records, although I heard someone say that there were some dealer maintenance entries in the manual. Son had no idea about RMS, IMSB, etc. He said he 'thought' that it had been taken in for scheduled maintenance. That is all he knew.

A couple of door dings in the driver door and at least one in the passenger side. Not major but you could see them. Paint damage on the passenger rear corner. Looked like a scuff or something had grazed it, but it was obvious. Tires appeared shot. Not sure why there was a bent/mangled Porsche plate on the front.

Anyway, the car sold for $22,600. To a (appeared to be) twenty-something woman whose parents were 'helping' her bid. Those in attendance who looked to be familiar with what they were evaluating bailed by $14k. There was 'that guy' who traded bids with the woman until he quit at $22,500.

So, she pays $22,600 plus 7% state tax plus a 3% 'convenience' fee. Puts her very close to $25k for the car. Ugh.

Thanks all for the feedback and info. A good adventure nonetheless. I will keep looking.
Unbelievable. Good luck and good riddance to the poor fool that paid that price. Did you find out how long it had been since it was driven last? It just goes to hsbow you fools exist. I looked for a year and bought the nicest one I've ever seen and paid about that.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Skip at 25K....like others said, 10K would be a good deal, I would no way go more than 15K.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:00 AM
GoJo
Cruisin'

Did you find out how long it had been since it was driven last?
The PO died in January, but lived in a nursing facility. Son said that his dad would switch the car out periodically with another car to drive, but he did not drive much (also means it sat outside in a parking lot some). Son said that he tried to come over about every three weeks and drive it since January.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk about overpaying
Old 05-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

PT Barnum said it best.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I am not surprised at all about the final price. Those kind of things happen regularly at auctions, especially the "small town" auctions where you have people in attendance that are not experts on the material. I am surprised it involved a young woman and not two guys bidding each other up. Maybe her parents are well to do and it won't be a big deal to throw another 5k at it.
"small town auctions"...

In a small town (pop. 25K maybe) in MO, back in late Jan. 2015 an "estate" auction was held to dispose of my parents' personal belongings. Furniture. Couple of TVs. Some not so good stereo stuff. Dishes. Kitchen ware. 4 or 5 guns, nothing fancy and some fishing tackle. Shed full of garden tools. No vehicles. (I sold those separately.) A small aluminum fishing boat w/outboard motor and trailer. NO clothes or shoes were included in the sale.These were donated.

I was there from Dec. 22, 2014 to the middle of Jan 2015 and the mid-west weather had been horrible the whole time.

Auction was held on a Saturday and the weather was nice for Jan. Think it got up to the high 40's and the weather was clear and sunny.

The auctioneer told me afterwards -- I was not there for the auction -- the turnout was super. He handed out over 200 bidding cards.

60+ years of their stuff - mostly junk they were not the type to spend too much on TVs stereos and such and had no antiques or collectables -- sold for around $7K.

The good weather coupled with cabin fever brought out the crowd and the auctioneer did the rest. (Some curiosity was involved too as my parents had lived in that town since the early 50's and were well known.) The proceeds covered the cost of the auction and the cleaning of the houses and other things and let me stilll bank around $5K to the trust account.

The auctioneer admitted to me he was a bit surprised at the outcome though he was pleased of course.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:22 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I wonder if the family has any idea how good a result that was. Good thing for them that both of those bidders showed up.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:47 PM
GoJo
Cruisin'

The auctioneer even commented (over the microphone to everyone) near the end of the bidding that multiple people told him the car would not bring $15k. I am sure he was ecstatic given that he gets a cut. Should have made the 'winner' sick.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:49 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Shill bidder in the crowd, got a 'live' one and milked her for about $10k.

Stupid don't always mean po'.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The person who paid close to $25K for that car is a complete idiot.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Shill bidder in the crowd, got a 'live' one and milked her for about $10k.

Stupid don't always mean po'.
This happens more than you would think.

I bought multiple items from a very large auction house a few weeks ago. I couldn't attend so I placed bids on-line. As I was watching the results, I was the high bidder at $550 with a max bid of $600. I watched as my $600 bid was bid against my $550 bid. There was no cut bid at $575, so it was just me being bid against me. Cost me an extra $60 with the commission. I can complain to the auction house, but nothing will be done. This has happened multiple times over the years, even at live auctions. I have seen experienced bidders, who are the high bidder on a particular lot, call out the auctioneer and ask him who the last bidder was that resulted in his bid being raised. Of course there wasn't one. The auctioneer would just brush it off "my bad" and restart the bidding two increments lower.

Quick Reply: Buy 996 at Auction?