996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New to the 996

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017 | 07:09 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bran3b
I drove the 996 to work this morning. I'll probably park it this afternoon and leave it until the IMS bearing is replaced in a couple of weeks. I love driving the car but am constantly worried about the bearing.
What about the other 28 methods of failure, you aren't worried about those?

I kid, I kid.

But you have a 99 with the dual row, so driving it a few weeks wouldn't concern me.

I have a 99 and in hindsight, I would have left the old bearing in if I'd thought longer about it.

Congrats on the car!
Old 06-02-2017 | 12:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Welcome. The hard start issue - I would take a look at the fuel filter. I believe 99's have an external replaceable filter that doesn't require going into the gas tank and taking out the fuel pump. It might not be the cause of the starting issue, but then again, the filter could be old.
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:02 AM
Volkert
Racer

Interesting thing on this bearing is that there is a 99,5% chance when it comes out that it will be in engine oil (which is not how it is supposed to be, it should be greased) but that is perfectly fine in any other way. Some then will think "why did I just throw away a good 1000$ but that is beside the point. The point is that you have it replaced in time before it starts to be damaged.

On my car the clutch was replaced at 80k kms and I purchased it at 135k. There was no record of a IMS bearing replacement and with the clutch having been replaced at a Porsche dealer I was pretty sure it was original. I know now the current thinking is to leave it be but I chose to get the clutch and bearing done (LN ceramic) together with a new AOS and RMS. Better safe then sorry.

So if you don't feel happy driving the car until the 15th I think that is A-OK. I would be stupid if it would grenade on you in the meantime.
Just my 2c of course.

Volkert

Quick Reply: New to the 996