Sponsored by:

Insurance increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMark
Unfortunately, insurance isn't immune from inflation. Auto insurance is starting to see the effects of low fuel prices, which puts more cars on the road, distracted driving (texting) and the bumper or mirror that used to cost $500 now costs $5,000 because it has some sensor in it.
State Farm lost $7B last year. Their money bucket needs to be filled up again.
Accident rates going up. While more miles are being driven this is not the biggest contributing factor.

The biggest contibutor is distracted driving accidents. I have had 4 insurance "claims" since 2009. 3 were claims against other drivers who ran into my car (the Boxster twice, the Cayman S once). In all the accidents I was *stopped* and the driver ran into my car and each time the driver was on his/her damn cell phone.

The 4th claim was for a mule deer encounter. It was too dark to see but I would not have been surprised if the mule deer was using a cell phone...

(And just so you know I am probably the only person in CA who doesn't use a cell phone while driving. In fact while I have two cell phones I don't use them that often at other times. Last time I needed to add air time I tallied up how much air time I had used over the past 12 months and it came to around 800 minutes.)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Geico just raised my 6-month premium by $100. Clean history, no accidents or tickets, and perfect credit. They'll be losing my business as soon as we get our new house.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Try AAA insurance, we've used them since 2005 and the prices and service has been very good.

For example, previously State Farm premium was about $3,500 for the home. AAA was $1,200 for the same coverage. And then in 2007 much of our property, and parts of the house burned in the huge San Diego fires. AAA was great, they paid plenty, and no increase in premium. Same with a couple of cars that my kids totaled (no injuries), AAA was great.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been with State Farm almost ten years. Never had a claim and I have a great credit rating. Every year my premiums go up, I need to look elsewhere.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I've been with State Farm almost ten years. Never had a claim and I have a great credit rating. Every year my premiums go up, I need to look elsewhere.
Been reading up on insurance lately, not because of price because my Agent is MIA. Your 10 loyalty is probably costing you money. The number crunchers figure they can raise your rates because they calculate you won't leave. Surprise them! I'm going to surprise them after being with the same company since 1992!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 AM
robman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone using Geico or progressive? There a lot cheaper than state farm.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by robman
Anyone using Geico or progressive? There a lot cheaper than state farm.
See post #17 above.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Geico for my 2 SUV's, manageable rates (here in NJ) but I moved my P car to Metromile and the rate dropped by half. no claims experience with metromile but Geico was easy to handle on one claim I had five years ago for a parking lot fender bender.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 AM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add another vote for USAA. I've had them for auto (and motorcycle) insurance since 1984, and thier prices are about as low as they get for Los Angeles. When we lived in Monterey, our rates were less than half of what they are here. Sigh.

We also have them for homeowner's insurance.

I've had a few claims with them (stolen Honda Hawk motorcycle, a likely drunk driver rearranging the left side of my pickup when parked at 2AM), and they have been reasonable, and quick, with the settlements.

Insurance sucks, but you have to pay to play.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

We had been with Erie for 27 years till I gave them the boot in February. Among other issues Erie sent me a notice they were increasing the premium on my 996. They previously called my wife to tell her they wanted to stop by the house and update their records on the car. The policy was a stipulated value of $20,000 which after their "records update" they put a value of $36,000 on the car.
I told the agent.....sold! If they can find me a buyer at that price I will sell the car imediately. After having a market report done by a dealership, showing them the blue book and NADA values, they still said it was worth $36,000 and needed to increase my premium.
Buh bye! I changed agent and companys.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 PM
robman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

state farm is $494 six months and progressive and Geico is $274 and $295. Just wondering how hard it is to make a claim with one of those, Geico or progressive.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 AM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by robman
Just wondering how hard it is to make a claim with one of those, Geico or progressive.
If you get hit by someone insured by them, you will be shorted. They negotiate really hard, and have no consideration. After all, what can we expect from companies that spend all their money on advertising? Oh? ... reserves, so we can help the injured? --- Nah, better to buy some TV time. We are a company focused on Sales! Our quarterly profit reports and annual bonuses am da goal.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:38 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been with Progressive for just over 6 years. No one can touch the premiums for comp, coll, and more than state minimums for bi. We insure three cars and our house with them.

Do we see increases? Yes, minor ones from time to time, but that's expected for many of the reasons mentioned above. It's all about risk. All insurance carriers employ actuaries and they decide risks and what premiums to charge. Companies that are profitable and continue to grow such as progressive, hang on to the good risk, and raise rates in the bad risk. This lowers their overall risk and sendsvthat bad risk to the competitors.

Everyone is going to have their theories about the big bad insurance companies, but as long as what is owed is paid when the time comes, that's all that matters to me.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

A few years ago I switched to eSurance to save money. After the first year, they raised their rates. I called them to ask why, because I had no changes. They told me that the states dictate the rates that they give based on some metrics. So, I called up the state. The guy I spoke to said that its just something that insurance companies do. My state did not change anything. The insurance companies raises the rates. That is why each insurance company can 'accurately' claim that you save money by switching to them. The only way to save money is to change insurance every cycle.

I am with my employer MetLife now, and my rates are decent. I pay $600+ for the year for the 01 996. I am 30+, and excellent credit score and no recent traffic incidents in my family, with 5 cars on my policy.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
That's true, which most people don't realize or understand. I used to work at Geico and the single most important data point for the price of your insurance (after the year and make for collision coverage) was credit score. What does credit score have to do with driving? Nothing. But that doesn't matter. The facts show credit score is the most predictive data point when trying to identify who is going to cost you money.
So I have a thought on this... I have had a credit freeze in place for the last few years and my credit rates have gone up. My wife and I are over an 800 credit score but you can't run our credit while we have a credit freeze on our accounts. So how does that make this possible? Maybe there's something I don't know but I don't see the correlation.

Quick Reply: Insurance increase