996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Insurance increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

"Can anyone see my credit report if it is frozen?
Certain entities still will have access to it.

your report can be released to your existing creditors or to debt collectors acting on their behalf.
government agencies may have access in response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, or a search warrant."

Taken from consumer.ftc.gov
Old 05-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
We had been with Erie for 27 years till I gave them the boot in February. Among other issues Erie sent me a notice they were increasing the premium on my 996. They previously called my wife to tell her they wanted to stop by the house and update their records on the car. The policy was a stipulated value of $20,000 which after their "records update" they put a value of $36,000 on the car.
I told the agent.....sold! If they can find me a buyer at that price I will sell the car imediately. After having a market report done by a dealership, showing them the blue book and NADA values, they still said it was worth $36,000 and needed to increase my premium.
Buh bye! I changed agent and companys.
I've had Erie for the last 17 years. When I first got into HPDE I was driving a 94 Miata. A few months after I put coverage on it, they sent me a letter that they typically would not insure a car with a HP to weight ratio that is so high, but since I have been a long time customer they would make an exception. I got rid of that car, and had a couple e36 M3s, no issue with those.

When I got my 996 I decided not to even try. I already had a Hagerty policy for my 1974 Beetle Convertible. I just added the 996 to the Hagerty policy. They actually have a stated value policy for track/street cars. Covers you on the road, in a garage, in the paddock, on a trailer. Just not on the track. For the Beetle and 996 I am paying $478 per year. $10K on the Beetle and $25K on the 996. This is with 250K/500K coverage since my umbrella policy requires it for all auto policies.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:50 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Someone I know that worked in the insurance industry described it like this...

Imagine a clock - at 12 oclock is the highest price, 6 oclock is the lowest. Basically, all insurance companies fall somewhere on that clock. They slowly move their way around it. Basically they drop prices to get an influx of customers and then slowly start working their way back up to the top - at some point it hits a critical point where their customers are leaving and they reverse direction and start lowering until they build back up.

That being said, I've stuck with Nationwide for homeowners and auto since we signed up with them in 2008. They've been great when it comes to claims - but every couple of years I need to call my agent and ask what the hell is going on (homeowners went up over 20% in the last two years with 0 claims). He has been pretty good about working within the frameworks of the company to get the prices back down. I'm sure I still pay more than I could be paying, but I'm loyal to a fault when a company has treated me fairly.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was loyal to Safeco for 30 years but last year we shopped via an independent agent and we changed all 5 cars, the house and a 2 million dollar umbrella for significant savings. We've had no claims or tickets and a 810 credit score so we were eligible for the most favorable rates out there.

Never make small claims like windshield repairs or house water leaks if you can help it because they will get their money back. Save you insurance for the "big one".
Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,666 Likes on 919 Posts

I'm also with State Farm and of course, I made several claims on my property in the last 5 years and yes, my premiums have gone up. If it wasn't for other people and animals damaging my stuff, then I'd hardly ever have to call "A good neighbor". (pardon the commercial)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrox
Usaa has been great for my family, if any have served in the military you qualify.
Yep, had a accident last year in the 996 that was "technically" my fault (an out of town driver panic thinking his lane was ending and slammed on his brakes, just at the time I was checking to the left to change lanes), and USAA did not raise my rates!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USAA pissed me off. I did file a claim (but decided not to go through with it, called ask them to delete the claim) then they raised my rates.... I have (3) vehicles and my house covered by them.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I just switched all my insurance to State Farm...saved me a ton over what Allstate would have provided. I've been paying Allstate way too much for way too long.

Quick Reply: Insurance increase